Best 22 2019 - Round 1

The thing is, will Worsfold adopt the Rutten method as a non negotiable, or is it “something we could try”: will it definitely be grafted onto “the way we want to play”

As long as Rutten doesn’t bring up the subject of a tagger, he should do ok.

1 Like

It’s an interesting point but I’d swap Gleeson and Redman in terms of which group
Gleeson is a proven coach’s fave because he does the team thing
Redman is still developing that aspect based on twos games

The game has changed. Opposition forwards will hunt players like him. Jason Johanisen, and even BJ was being hunted last year. This will make him a target. One the other hand Redman is a lot tougher both in attitude and physically now and will serve it up to opposition forwards.

That’s the point of my question; will the selectors opt for tougher players in defense in the brave new world of the forward half game?

In each of the last 2 seasons 15 wins was enough for top 4.

In the 2 seasons prior, 16 was enough.

We won’t need 17 for top 4

1 Like

cool.

Do you know if any of the teams that finished top four played GC first round?

WCE had a spell of 3-zip mid year.
Richmond lost 4 on the trot in 2017.
I don’t buy that you need to be “up” for the whole season.

To win a flag you need to qualify for finals, then win either 3, or 4 of them. That’s it, that’s all. The rest is noise.

7 Likes

Agree.

Don’t know why it matters who and when you play.

Just win the required amount to finish top 4.

Preferably on top if possible.

I must have misread your post entirely then.
I thought you were saying Rutten would place a premium on team defence.
Gleeson is better at that than Redman
Redman is the old school Harvey type - tough individually but prone to get caught out of position and not support the team - this is from watching him in the twos.

Redman is more like Johannisen. A counterattacking backman. You’re underestimating Marty’s ability to contest, tackle, and apply defensive pressure also.

If you just want rugged individualism in the backline we’re ■■■■■■- modern footy doesn’t work like that.

1 Like

Not sure about Redman in this regard but Gleeson can play deep and free up Saad, McKenna and Francis to play higher.
Both can play high but I haven’t seen enough of Redman playing deep on the goal line.

1 Like

Gleeson playing deep brings back bad memories of him being ragdolled on the last line of defence against Sydney.

Admittedly it should have been a free though.

1 Like

That and our hawthorn win when they kicked a goal after the buzzer and got burnt by Bruest. Other than that he’s been relatively good deep.

1 Like

If I was to pick a team right now for round 1:

Francis Hurley Saad
Guelfi Hooker McKenna
Zaka Heppell Smith
TBC Shiel Merrett
McGrath Daniher stringer
Walla Mckernan Fantasia
Langford Parish Myers Begley

Guelfi and Begley’s spots are up for grabs between Redman, Gleeson, Ambrose, Baguley and Laverde. Brown or Clarke if Daniher’s not ready.

2 Likes

It is my opinion that Guelfi is highly unlikely to be named in the back 6. Has been training with the mids. So while he may play back there during the season, I think you need to pick your starting back 6 from the guys that have been training for that role.

And you need to use both wins and losses to improve your game and try anything you need to try before finals.

Is anyone not training with the midfield group this summer?

Then let’s stop talking about it as if it were his fault then. He had pole position. Not even Hooker can stop someone literally grabbing him from behind and spinning him out of the way. It’s against the rules for a reason. Otherwise, you’d be prepared for it and to counter it.

2 Likes

Ten days late but no one else replied:

GWS is unlikely to selllout, though… even though by “sell out” I include the half of the tickets that will be handed out free rather than sold.

1 Like

Firstly I am a Marty fan. You say Gleeson is better at team defence than Redman. That is yet to be determined in the new world order of Rutten. What I am asking is who will get the nod for the last position in the backline/ the bench defender. Marty is very good in the air, not so good as a scrapper, whereas Redman is probably the reverse. You need some scrappers down back for the clean up , not a backline full of rebounders.

I was filthy about it as well.

And it typical Swans fashion it got absolutely no air time.

Roles reversed and it would have been a free or at least all over the media as daylight robbery.

That whole game gives me nightmares.

3 Likes