Best 22 in 2014

I think everyone on here has a fairly common on what the best 22 is.
[goes on to list 28 players]

Ah, Blitz…

people putting hurley is defence. LOLOLOLOL

My best 22 is the aggregate best 22 of the rest of this thread plus Dell.

That makes 22.5 !

Think it's really, really important this coming season, that no matter who the fictional "best 22" is, we get time into the next lot down - looking like Browne, Kav, Dalgleish, NOB, maybe Hams, Del and Edwards, and hopefully a tall forward or ruck yet to be drafted.
So we build a solid 30. Which is what you need to win a flag.
I'll be ■■■■■■ if those guys only manage 4 games each which is basically what happened this year.

If we don't have a minimum of 2 of those guys banging the door down and becoming semi regulars (minimum 10 games) then our medium term future is not looking good.

I don't necessarily know about big whacks of games, but a lot of them need (and, as importantly, deserve) a bigger taste.

I think everyone on here has a fairly common on what the best 22 is.
[goes on to list 28 players]

Ah, Blitz…

Thought it was quite obvious that the last 6 players I mentioned were the fringe players next in line. Ahhh, Blitz...full of smart ■■■■■.

Some random musings.

I wonder whether Bomber will come at things from a different angle with any players.

If we can get something set up across half back in terms of setting up play/rebound -whether its Dalgleish or Edwards to compliment Demps and Hibbo (which needs to happen regardless) then I really think Goddard could be played forward more and give us goal scoring potential in the 45-55 arc.

A forward line of Hurls, JD, Goddard, Chapman and Winders would reek havoc on most teams back lines.

Kavanagh should be looking to take Howlett's spot. I don't know if he was injured but I was very disappointed with Ben's year. He was one of my favourites but I've now got my doubts on him.

I like Merrett's footy smarts but his Warrick Capper kicking action is ordinary. They need to work on that. If Merrett can go to another level he can be that Steele Sidebottom, Blake Caracella type just zipping into the gaps and hurting the opposition.

I'd like to see Bags get given some Crowley type tagging type role's during the pre season to add some more strings to his bow. I'd love to see him play on a Mitchell or a McVeigh and just lean on them all day.

B: Baguley Carlisle Pears

HB: Dempsey Hooker Hibberd

C: Stanton Watson Goddard

HF: Zaharakis Hurley Kommer

F: Chapman Daniher Winderlich

R: Ryder Hocking Heppell

I/C: Myers, Melksham, Bellchambers, Howlett

Emerg: Hardingham, Merrett, Edwards, Fletcher

... I think a lot of the players pick themselves. My only issue, is the Pears v Fletcher debate. I think if we back him, Tayte will be huge by the end of the year... but Fletch is still reliable and a great presence for our backs. I would say that I think first the first time ever, I feel like we don't require Fletch down back like we have in the past. So I would probably go for Tayte.

... I think a lot of the players pick themselves. My only issue, is the Pears v Fletcher debate. I think if we back him, Tayte will be huge by the end of the year... but Fletch is still reliable and a great presence for our backs. I would say that I think first the first time ever, I feel like we don't require Fletch down back like we have in the past. So I would probably go for Tayte.

pears doesn't get picked ahead of fletch until he can consistently win 1 on 1 marking contests again. he is completely at sea in one on ones at the moment, he doesn't watch the ball, he holds, he gets caught out of position and then he turns around and cracks it at the ump. the rest of his game is on track but you can't pick defenders who don't win marking contests. And  he wasn't just getting beat by KPs either. he was getting torched by resting midfielders. 

Needs to have a big focus this summer on rediscovering he confidence in marking duels and backing himself to watch and attack the ball rather than playing as a reactive tag and scrag defender. From a list balance point of view we desperately need tayte to get back to where he was 3 or 4 years ago. it's not beyond him, just hope he gets some good coaching, maybe fletch needs to take him under his wing.

pears doesn't get picked ahead of fletch until he can consistently win 1 on 1 marking contests again. he is completely at sea in one on ones at the moment, he doesn't watch the ball, he holds, he gets caught out of position and then he turns around and cracks it at the ump. the rest of his game is on track but you can't pick defenders who don't win marking contests. And  he wasn't just getting beat by KPs either. he was getting torched by resting midfielders. 

Needs to have a big focus this summer on rediscovering he confidence in marking duels and backing himself to watch and attack the ball rather than playing as a reactive tag and scrag defender. From a list balance point of few we desperately need tayte to get back to where he was 3 or 4 years ago. it's not beyond, just hope he gets some good coaching, maybe fletch needs to take him under his wing.

Good post. I agree, its the only thing missing from his game before his injury. If he gets it back as you describe, we will have the best backline in the AFL.

Chappy, Watson, Goddard and then the next 19 blokes who get to the ground first.

Chappy, Watson, Goddard and then the next 19 blokes who get to the ground first.

including Hibberd, Heppell, Carlisle and our ruckman :)

including Hibberd, Heppell, Carlisle and our ruckman :)

Sure, if they're quick.

if Kommer is in our best 22 then we are struggling,

:angry:

"Obviously" only going to get worse...

Is a walk-up starter when 100% Brings the agro half the team lacks.

Think it's really, really important this coming season, that no matter who the fictional "best 22" is, we get time into the next lot down - looking like Browne, Kav, Dalgleish, NOB, maybe Hams, Del and Edwards, and hopefully a tall forward or ruck yet to be drafted.
So we build a solid 30. Which is what you need to win a flag.
I'll be ■■■■■■ if those guys only manage 4 games each which is basically what happened this year.

If we don't have a minimum of 2 of those guys banging the door down and becoming semi regulars (minimum 10 games) then our medium term future is not looking good.
I don't necessarily know about big whacks of games, but a lot of them need (and, as importantly, deserve) a bigger taste.

It's good if they do deserve them, and I'm not so sure that's the issue ATM.
I reckon the issue is whether guys appear like they deserve their spot once they get up to senior level. I'd like to see bomber find one of Browne obrien or KAV! and do a melksham 2012 with him, it drew some criticism but he's gone from a bit part in and out player to a bona fide best 22 player.

B: Bags       Carslisle  Fletcher

HB: Demps    Hooker   Hibbered

C:   Stanton    Watson  *Dangleish

HF: Chapman Hurley    Zaka

F:   Ryder       J.D        Winderlich

R: Belly Heppell Goddard.

int:  Melksham Hocking Myers sub: Kommer 

* Absolutely backing him to up his fitness, and become that pacy line breaking wingman we need.

Pears needs to sign a contract before he can be best 22.

I missed the second half of the year so didn’t see our form slide but a lot of people being harsh on Howlett

When we were up and going he was good enough to start the first bounce in the square

Also, people need to stop the 1980 team layouts

Outside of a ruck man there’s really no designated field positions any more

I missed the second half of the year so didn't see our form slide but a lot of people being harsh on Howlett
When we were up and going he was good enough to start the first bounce in the square
Also, people need to stop the 1980 team layouts
Outside of a ruck man there's really no designated field positions any more

Pretty much like Under 12, one big kid and everyone else running around chasing the ball.

Dangleish LOL!

I love that apart from a few fringe players our best 22 looks set, perhaps for the first time in five or six years.

The appointment of Bomber for this season now becomes that much more important, because the last thing Essendon needed was another year of transition.