Best 22 - Round 1 2020

I think hepps best position is the Goddard role. The mid that’s positioned defensive side, to Marshall the troops and set up. Only he might get exposed pace wise and he doesn’t have the kicking skills of Goddard.

But rotating through that role and some inside grunt work.

1 Like

I like him winning the ball back by reading it well and laying it off to our more damaging players

Mine is a work in progress, I’ll fill the rest in soon, but here are the obvious ones:

B:
HB:
C: Cutler
HF:
F: Fantasia
R:
Int:

7 Likes

B: Francis - Hooker - Ambrose
HB: Mckenna - Hurley - Saad
C: Smith - Merrett - McGrath
HF: Stringer - Smack - Heppell
F: Fantasia - Daniher - Tippa
R: Bellcho - Merrett - Shiel

Heppell - strong overhead. Desperate. Does whatever it takes. I want him up forward.

1 Like

You see your HF line. And you see your HB line. Now imagine they are playing against each other.

You’d want to hope they marked the ball.

Pretty spot on if everybody is fit.

His ability to read the ball and intercept is excellent. And he is a great mark.

He can use those skills in general play regardless of where he plays through the midfield.

Two Merrett, surely Jackson is not being drafted.

1 Like

Edited for non Merrett cloning ability

It was better with 2 Merretts. Even if one starts one the bench.

1 Like

Who’s our big inside brute midfielder? On paper most of those sides are half decent. We still don’t have an inside monster mid. That’s my concern. Hope we can grab the Tim Kelly version of big bodied inside mids. Draft wise, who is gonna fill the void?

190plus cm 90 kilos plus and is a jet? .gimme a name. Jobe Watson in his prime would be nice.

Ins - Jordan Ridley, Stewart and Draper in the 22 by mid season.

Outs- Zaka a liability (put Irish on wing and Ridley half back), Brown goes missing too much (straight swap for Stewart), Bellcho a dinosaur (straight swap for Draper)

Stringer to be our clearance beast,spending more mins in the middle.

I would of tried to off load zaka to gold coast for a 3rd rounder. On decent coin. His performances for me don’t justify his coin. Needs to pull his finger out. The 2016 version of him would be nice when he stepped up, when the big names were not there.

1 Like

Fair enough. But our full back line is similarly worried versus our full forwards.

(It rather depends on whether we bombed it long without looking…)

Who are the definite outs for round one?

The Fantasia to midfield arguments gone very quite. Go back a few years and many thought it would be about now he’d be a midfielder who rests forward.

Brilliant forward but I wonder if getting him into a wing stops him getting targeted physically. If he’s going to be constantly injured he’s not much use forward as this year proved.

4 Likes

This is a good question.

The couple who spring instantly to mind I hope we delist(long).

There’s only a couple of true backups(Hartly/brown).

I’d hope some of the young guys in Ridley, Clark, Snelling, Begley have ripping preseasons and put themselves in the frame.

I actually meant through injury, but your read is also interesting.
I’d be making room in my side for Snelling, personally.
I know Smith pretty much has his spot, but I think he’s worth keeping in.

2 Likes

Been thinking that for a while. We’ve had a huge problem putting a forward line together for years because they simply get injured more. Hurley, Hooker, Carlisle all got injured more when played forward.

Fantasia in unbelievably important up forward but we still have options up there without him. In full flight I reckon Raz could still kick 30-40 goals from the wing much like Lewis Jetta did for the Swans.

1 Like