Best Female Rock Singers

I disagree.Jasons not a patch on John. Technically or creatively.

Agree,but getting back to female singers I reckon Kate bush shouldn’t be underestimated.i don’t mind marilyn Manson for her harder edge as well

Uh huh

I was joking mr boot

I disagree.Jasons not a patch on John. Technically or creatively.

Agree,but getting back to female singers I reckon Kate bush shouldn’t be underestimated.i don’t mind marilyn Manson for her harder edge as well

Uh huh

I was joking mr boot

Thank god for that

Floor Jansen out front of Nightwish at Wacken in 2013

saw her with them here in Melbourne in January 2013. Sensational.

Doesn`t anyone appreciate Adele , or has she been forgotten amongst all the rock chicks who sing the same songs they sang 45 years ago ?

Kate Bush and Cyndi Lauper also sing with passion and don`t just blurt out the words until the music stops.

Grace Slick

Just got reminded of her on an American friend’s Facebook post.

Belted out a nice choon or two.

Survived 2016 despite abuse of sundry illicit mind-altering substances.

Part of that golden era of San Francisco in the 60s.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=myVzaR8cmDA

I walked out on a Concrete Blonde show after the fourth song. Four songs was enough.

Many greats already mentioned, but these two sing OK... Renee Geyer Marcia Hines
R Geyer's version of "Say I Love You" from the early 80's was really good and should have opened doors overseas but I've read more than a few times that she isn't the nicest person to be around and that it got in the way of her career advancement. She famously went ape at a dinner show over here around 2010. After a couple of songs she told the audience they were sh*t and she left.
Doesn`t anyone appreciate Adele , or has she been forgotten amongst all the rock chicks who sing the same songs they sang 45 years ago ?

Kate Bush and Cyndi Lauper also sing with passion and don`t just blurt out the words until the music stops.

</blockquote>

I love Adele.

She’s not rock though.

Suzi Quatro

Joni Mitchell

Stevie Nicks

but

The Nolan Sisters

The Andrews Sisters

Vera Lynn

Doris Day

were my real favourites

What - no mention of Dame Nellie?
Opera's for freckle punchers

So…you have no freckles?

1 Like

Anyone mention simply the best Tina Turner, she could belt it out

I love the story of how Merry Clayton got the call to sing on The Rolling Sones’ “Gimme Shelter” late at night and turned up to the studio with rollers in her hair, belted out one of the all-time great rock vocal performances, then went home to bed. For those who haven’t noticed, you can hear M Jagger being audibly impressed during her "rape and murder’ piece. Makes you toes curl.

Not much love here for Sia. As much as there’s a quirkiness there, she’s an exceptional talent. Thought her time with Zero 7 was what rounded out a brilliant group but her songwriting abilities and her amazing voice came to the fore when she went solo.

Ermmm, … I think Sia has talent too, … but you do know the thread is about “ROCK chix” right?

Some suggestions here have stretched the boundaries to breaking point, but you would have to have the loosest definition of that term ever known to get Sia even looking through the door.

SIA… Pop electropop indie pop trip hop acid jazz

1 Like

Polystyrene RIP. Sure she was punk rock but that’s a hell of a lot more rock than Renee Geyer, Sia, that hippy freak Joni Mitchell, Marcia Hines FMD, Kate Bush etc.

Chrissie Hynde. There are other r great female voices, like Adele and Angelique Kidjo, but Chrissie is my favourite female rock voice, just in front of Bonnie Raitt, who l was fortunate enough to see in concert once.

1 Like
Ermmm, .. I think Sia has talent too, .. but you do know the thread is about "ROCK chix" right?

Some suggestions here have stretched the boundaries to breaking point, but you would have to have the loosest definition of that term ever known to get Sia even looking through the door.

SIA… Pop electropop indie pop trip hop acid jazz

Fair enough. Think she'd do rock in a canter though.

Chrissie Hynde
Chrissie Amphlett
Annalisse Morrow (for those old enough to remember…)
Johnette Napolitano

1 Like

Ellen Foley
Pat Benatar
Anne Wilson

/close thread

Sorry boot, just wanna add a couple of chicks that seriously rock. They have been already mentioned and I reckon they ruled the 90’s rock chick status.

Kim Gordon (Sonic Youth)
Kathleen Hanna (Bikini Kill, Le Tigre & The Julie Ruin)
Both hugely influential to the 90’s rock scene. Hanna had the stage presence many great male rockers had and could definitely belt out a song.
Clip of Le Tigre live:

Doro Pesch “Queen of Rock & Metal”
Still going strong since the early 80s