Best list since 2000

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink

A reply to: @andrewb regarding QuoteLink
A reply to: @Valtello Starkwind regarding QuoteLink
If we still had Ryder I would argue we are in the box seat, but we should def still try for top 4 ez.

Why has ryder suddenly been elevated to star status just because he left? He was 7th in our b+f and I can’t remember him finishing in the top 10 of the Crichton before that. He’s a good ordinary player who looks a million bucks and it is his potential that has always excited rather than anything else. We will miss his durability but he’s not a match winner.

Hawthorn has had a terrible ruck division for years. It hasn’t stopped them winning flags.

Agree andrewb, Ryder was very fit, a competent tap ruckman, capable forward, took marks around the ground, and could crumb the ball. Averaged about 26 hitouts 4 marks, and one goal a game in 2014. Would have always been in our top 22 this year. Can we do well without him? We have 3 ruckmen who have played AFL level, all are capable of kicking goals when resting forward. The only things they probably score lower than Ryder on is marking and crumbing in general play. Its not like we are left with a vacuum in the ruck division.

Sorry but Ryder was good around the ground? Really? He was invisible most of the time. Was the biggest knock on him for mine. Should have been demanding the ball consistently with his leap and contested marking ability. Instead we got the occasional cameo. This year was the first he actually looked threatening up fwd. I have my faith in Giles and TBell matching his output (or exceeding). Where they won't be as good will be the tapping to advantage, that was Ryder's strength.

As for the OP.

Not even close.

2001 played in GF. We are not even confident we will make finals. We should, but with injuries we likely would not. 2001 we were decimated with injuries yet finished top.

Guaranteed next article about pr

“Ryder fitter than ever”

Well if he gonna get fit, apparently ports the place

OK, guys you convinced me. He was not “very” fit. Just fit enough to be what he was. What he is now? “Judas”

Yes he is Judas.

But to be fair, Ryder just had his best season, by rucking 85-90% of every game, week after week. With some big second halves. I’d say that requires a pretty decent level of fitness, and one that Tbell doesn’t have.

Ryder was really, really good this season. Deserving of All Australian. However I don’t think his departure will cripple us. Bellchambers is a good ruck man and our deficiencies won’t consist of our ability to win tap outs, clearances, and our goal kickers.

A reply to: @Paul Peos regarding QuoteLink

Yes he is Judas.

But to be fair, Ryder just had his best season, by rucking 85-90% of every game, week after week. With some big second halves. I’d say that requires a pretty decent level of fitness, and one that Tbell doesn’t have.

Bellcho is a maybe, and history would suggest most rucks only really hit their athletic best at about 25 - but Giles is definitely capable of, and indeed relishes, going all day, every day.

A reply to: @wimmera1 regarding QuoteLink

Mercuri was a shadow of the player he was from 2001. JJ was still very good, Hird goes without saying. Caracella slackened right off from 2002.

We had a great side on paper, not on the park.

We did have a potential Premiership side in 2001, so maybe that’s when people should be looking from.

Not great, but still pretty good, we were in the last 6 alive until 2004 and in with a shot in a couple of those semis. I’m not convinced we’re that good, yet, as we haven’t done that once.

Add a couple more at the coal face and take out a couple of the plonkers and all those other outside and spine pieces start to really do some damage again. Other than Mercuri, Gaz and Cara they were all largely still capable.
And, of course, Rama. :frowning:
Couldn’t see that coming.

Think we have a good list!
We have a lot of forgotten players too!!
Dalgeish - reckons he’s gonna play 10 games
Browne- we all know he can play!
Hams- has the biggest heart, can play
Pears- you just never know
Kommer- was best 22 for a whole year…
And that’s just naming 5!!
Impressed with the list management overall…
Imagine if Laverde is the next Heppell/zerret and Langford also plays 5-10 games?
Gonna be tough at selection table, barring injuries

That selection pressure puts the trade period in a different light. I found it very interesting that we didn’t have any B-Graders leaving for opportunities and money elsewhere. The players would know their position in the pecking order. If you felt it likely to be pushed out of the team by a younger player it would be completely reasonable to look for security elsewhere. The only player I can think of that even talked about this was Howlett and in the end he took a career risk, knowing his position in the team isn’t secure. When the players are sticking around just to have a chance at a senior gig, it’s a pretty good sign.

A reply to: @The Forgotten Bomber regarding QuoteLink

Think we have a good list! We have a lot of forgotten players too!! Dalgeish - reckons he's gonna play 10 games Browne- we all know he can play! Hams- has the biggest heart, can play Pears- you just never know Kommer- was best 22 for a whole year... And that's just naming 5!! Impressed with the list management overall.. Imagine if Laverde is the next Heppell/zerret and Langford also plays 5-10 games? Gonna be tough at selection table, barring injuries

A reply to: @Gumbyman regarding QuoteLink

Think we have a good list! We have a lot of forgotten players too!! Dalgeish - reckons he's gonna play 10 games Browne- we all know he can play! Hams- has the biggest heart, can play Pears- you just never know Kommer- was best 22 for a whole year... And that's just naming 5!! Impressed with the list management overall.. Imagine if Laverde is the next Heppell/zerret and Langford also plays 5-10 games? Gonna be tough at selection table, barring injuries
Don't forget about Marty Gleeson.Will be special!

Don't forget about Marty Gleeson.Will be special!
I wouldn't exactly say he's forgotten as he played most of 2014

Marty Gleeson only played 9 games in 2014… that isn’t most. Kid looks good, and can be considered to have some real upside going into 2015.

Does Gleeson play if we go into round 1 fully fit? Im not so sure he would get a game at full strength. Don’t get me wrong, he’s going to be a gun and will play plenty of games this year but may be behind a few in the pecking order early.,

He’ll play as soon as Licha gets injured.

A reply to: @Four Flags regarding QuoteLink

Does Gleeson play if we go into round 1 fully fit? Im not so sure he would get a game at full strength. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a gun and will play plenty of games this year but may be behind a few in the pecking order early.,
For mine, yeah he does.

A reply to: @samwoods regarding QuoteLink

Marty Gleeson only played 9 games in 2014... that isn't most. Kid looks good, and can be considered to have some real upside going into 2015.

My point still stands, he’s not forgotten. 9 games is almost half the season- plus he was played “most” games he was fit.
Any which way you look at it, he’s not in the same basket as those other guys

Quoted Post

Does Gleeson play if we go into round 1 fully fit? Im not so sure he would get a game at full strength. Don't get me wrong, he's going to be a gun and will play plenty of games this year but may be behind a few in the pecking order early.,

Might put a rocket up Dempseys exhaust!