Best list since 2000

A reply to: @Captain Jack regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post
A reply to: @Odons regarding QuoteLink
I like the optimism and think it's accurate, agree it's our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!

Watson deserves a premiership? How so? ls he anymore deserving than any other player?

In my opinion, yes. Jobe is a gun and a winner, has worked his butt off to succeed as an individual and as a team and led our team through the most turmultuous, critical and controversial period in history.

Not disputing any of the above, but how does the equate to deserving of a premiership? If your team is good enough and you get a good run with injuries, you might get a crack at one, but there are no givens in games/sport. Jobe is certainly a player worthy of holding up the cup and is an ornament of the game.

I’m not sure how it equates as it’s not a formula, and not a literal comment. Everything is relative, like if Fletch broke his leg on 399 games and there was a sentiment that he deserved to get to 400.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
I like the optimism and think it's accurate, agree it's our best side since the 2000 era ('00-'03).

We’re a good team now and really close to being a top team, just missing some quality pace in the midfield and forward line.

Watson deserves a premiership but is running out of time. Don’t think it will be 2015, maybe 2016. After that Watson and Goddard will be on the slide. It’s tight!

Watson deserves a premiership? How so? ls he anymore deserving than any other player?

In my opinion, yes. Jobe is a gun and a winner, has worked his butt off to succeed as an individual and as a team and led our team through the most turmultuous, critical and controversial period in history.

Not disputing any of the above, but how does the equate to deserving of a premiership? If your team is good enough and you get a good run with injuries, you might get a crack at one, but there are no givens in games/sport. Jobe is certainly a player worthy of holding up the cup and is an ornament of the game.

I’m not sure how it equates as it’s not a formula, and not a literal comment. Everything is relative, like if Fletch broke his leg on 399 games and there was a sentiment that he deserved to get to 400.

Sure…but does he really deserve to get to 400? I mean…like…really?
And also…why is 400 so important next to 399? Does he deserve to get to 401?
These things and the like haunt my everyday life.

I think our list has improved and I firmly believe the unquantifiable upside of releasing the mental burden of the ASAGAGATE will be significant.

Backline
If it’s not the best backline in the league, it’s ■■■■■■ close. We have 3 genuine A grade KPB, plus 3 players that can play the third back role. Elite kicking with the likes of Fletcher, Hurley, Gwilt and potentially Goddard. Strong run and creativity with Dempsey, Goddard, Hibberd. An excellent lock down defender. It’s already the full package plus you have great flexibility with Goddard, Winderlich and Heppell that can rotate through there. You also have two of our most talented youngsters in Gleeson and Ashby desperate to break into the mix.

Midfield
IMO it has improved, Zak has become a more rounded player, the addition of Conney for outside spread and creativity. We have a really strong 10 players plus good depth that will rotate through. Watson, Heppell, Goddard, Hocking, Myers, Colyer, Zaharkis, Stanton, Chapman, Howlett, Melksham, Merret/s. For mine the biggest area of weakness is inside ball winners and defensive focus. Myers will be very important for us in 15.

Rucks
Although I loved Paddy I don’t think we will drop off that much here, a fit and firing TBC will take over the mantle and own it. I also believe Giles will be a very adequate number 2.

Forward line
The talent is there unquestionably. Daniher, Carlisle, Ambrose, TBC/Giles, Winderlich, Chapman, Zaharkis, Goddard, Merret/s, Kommer, Colyer. There is greater flexibility assuming the rucks stay fit and we have the switch or if Stein or Gwilt can step up the option of Hurley and Carlisle and Daniher in attack (not that I belive that should be our starting position).

There are also the wilcards - Melksham, Laverde, Edwards, Kav, Obrien, Brown etc…

We are better placed than anytime in the last 10-11 years to make a run which is exciting. For me it’s about a few key things - injuries, winning enough inside ball and finding a balance in the forward line. I’m just so excited at the prospect of watching what I belive is a very good team going out and having one thing in their mind - beating their opponent and winning a game of football.

your lid has blown off

Did you see these players throw away a game winning lead versus north in a final we really should have won by 10 goals?

When these players year in year out throw away games vs Melbourne and finals like the one this year they’re nothing near decent.

Quoted Post

I’m not sure how it equates as it’s not a formula, and not a literal comment. Everything is relative, like if Fletch broke his leg on 399 games and there
was a sentiment that he deserved to get to 400.

Jobe

Deserves

A

Premiership.

Lock thread. (He is our captain courageous)

Formula Jobe/premiership = x * Y^7/(z+c)… Like I said in another thread. I did methods :wink:

Can our forward line top Buddy/Tippett or Roughy/Gunston etc. We have a great back line and so e quality mids… We need Myers and Zaka to step up and we will be devastating there. Perhaps Merritt too.
But it’s the key forwards that will make us or break us. Chappy, Cooney and Winders are amazing support but we need Carlisle and Joe to take the game by the throat. If they can do that then we are in for a great year

If we have a bad run with injuries we will go nowhere, if we have an average run we may scrape in the 8, if we have a dream run we will well and truly be in the hunt for top 4.

We just gotta keep our best players on the park.

A reply to: @McQuade regarding QuoteLink

If we have a bad run with injuries we will go nowhere, if we have an average run we may scrape in the 8, if we have a dream run we will well and truly be in the hunt for top 4.

We just gotta keep our best players on the park.

I guess this is where depth comes into it and I believe we are now starting to develop some quality depth.

If our best 22 can become our best 32, injuries shouldn’t matter. Ala Hawthorn 2014 had some pretty significant injuries.

A reply to: @Gapsted Bombers regarding QuoteLink

If our best 22 can become our best 32, injuries shouldn't matter.
Also, the clones will allow us to play Hurley and Carlisle at both ends.

Our defence and midfield is comparable to 1999-2004 period forwards not on previous output.

Daniher could be a superstar and Carlisle has had big games. But they need to produce quality seasons. That said they would be better than lynch and Hansen at eagles 06 premiership. So we could pinch it if defence & midfield dominant and forwards were serviceable.

In 2006 Lynch kicked 65 goals Hansen 17. Embley, hunter judd 29+
65 more than serviceable. Combined 82 from kpf.
In 2005 matera 38, lynch 31 and Hansen 24

LOL no.

Seriously - anyone remember Hird? Lloyd? Lucas? Fletch? Welly? Mercury? Rioli? MJ? JJ? Misiti? Caracalla?

We had a ■■■■■■ good list 01-03 as well.

Mercuri was a shadow of the player he was from 2001.
JJ was still very good, Hird goes without saying.
Caracella slackened right off from 2002.

We had a great side on paper, not on the park.

We did have a potential Premiership side in 2001, so maybe that’s when people should be looking from.

A reply to: @Valtello Starkwind regarding QuoteLink

If we still had Ryder I would argue we are in the box seat, but we should def still try for top 4 ez.

Why has ryder suddenly been elevated to star status just because he left? He was 7th in our b+f and I can’t remember him finishing in the top 10 of the Crichton before that. He’s a good ordinary player who looks a million bucks and it is his potential that has always excited rather than anything else. We will miss his durability but he’s not a match winner.

Hawthorn has had a terrible ruck division for years. It hasn’t stopped them winning flags.

A reply to: @andrewb regarding QuoteLink

If we still had Ryder I would argue we are in the box seat, but we should def still try for top 4 ez.

Why has ryder suddenly been elevated to star status just because he left? He was 7th in our b+f and I can’t remember him finishing in the top 10 of the Crichton before that. He’s a good ordinary player who looks a million bucks and it is his potential that has always excited rather than anything else. We will miss his durability but he’s not a match winner.

Hawthorn has had a terrible ruck division for years. It hasn’t stopped them winning flags.

Agree andrewb, Ryder was very fit, a competent tap ruckman, capable forward, took marks around the ground, and could crumb the ball. Averaged about 26 hitouts 4 marks, and one goal a game in 2014. Would have always been in our top 22 this year. Can we do well without him? We have 3 ruckmen who have played AFL level, all are capable of kicking goals when resting forward. The only things they probably score lower than Ryder on is marking and crumbing in general play. Its not like we are left with a vacuum in the ruck division.

A reply to: @chris_64 regarding QuoteLink

Agree andrewb, Ryder was very fit, a competent tap ruckman, capable forward, took marks around the ground, and could crumb the ball. Averaged about 26 hitouts 4 marks, and one goal a game in 2014. Would have always been in our top 22 this year. Can we do well without him? We have 3 ruckmen who have played AFL level, all are capable of kicking goals when resting forward. The only things they probably score lower than Ryder on is marking and crumbing in general play. Its not like we are left with a vacuum in the ruck division.

I’m sorry… What?

A reply to: @Black Kavanagh regarding QuoteLink

I’m sorry… What?

I think it was meant in the modern British usage.

Quoted Post

I’m sorry… What?

I think he meant that Ryder was rarely injured.

Ha yeah I hope all our players are ‘very fit’

A reply to: @aboods regarding QuoteLink

Quoted Post

I’m sorry… What?

I think he meant that Ryder was rarely injured.

I hope that is what he meant.

Because I don’t think anyone involved with the club who either knew or worked with Ryder in some capacity would deem him: “very fit.”

One of the reasons he could never string together good patches of form was because he simply wasn’t fit enough and would often be puffed by the second centre bounce of the game.

Rocked up to pre-season in “poor shape” many a time.