Best non homegrown greats

Cumbersome thread title i grant, but remains a simple question for reflection.

We have had some great footballers wear our guernsey over time. Most have been developed in-house. A point to be proud of i think. But this year we have added Chappy to Goddard and it has worked well. Few would dispute. I love the way BJ has embraced our tradition as well his efforts on field. He has been really tremendous in a familial way for the club, I think. But there are others.

Qualifications are fine if we broaden the family in a positive way. For example, all the Danihers began at South Melbourne and in this sense qualify. Graeme Moss however was non VFL and so I would argue does not, however this is not a religious question.

So who has been been the best non native addition to the club? 

Sean Denham and Paul Barnard were good contributors

Aylett

Aylett

This lad, deadset gun in the making, more enthusiasm than we deserve.

In my life time the Daniher brothers Terry and Neil are the clear winners, then Wellman, then Goddard. Denham was a very good pick up but we gave away Barnes to get it done who was a much better follower than Somerville.

Cupido looked good early.

Sean well man

Barry young went alright.

Wellman

Zantuck

Rene Kink

Seriously though, we've done well out of 'lesser' names picked up from other clubs: Barnard, Wellman, Denham, even TD wasn't a big name when we got him.

Goddard is far and away the best 'name' recruit from another club.

We did well with Bryan Wood.

Richardson and Raines were an absolute bust.

Rene Kink

Seriously though, we've done well out of 'lesser' names picked up from other clubs: Barnard, Wellman, Denham, even TD wasn't a big name when we got him.

and Anderson too> ''serviceable factor''  makes him too vanilla to qualify in my opinion.

But Denham has to rate. 

The 'anti' quotient in the above post is huge too. But kinda spoils the fun as that list is massive.

John Barnes

Sheedy's later years saw Ben Haynes, Scott Camporeale, Ty Zantuck, Richard Cole, Mark Alvey, Mal Michael, Justin Murphy, Matthew Allen all don the black and red.  Depressing.

Rene Kink

kink was good in 1983, kicked a few bags and gave a few away as well.

In my life time the Daniher brothers Terry and Neil are the clear winners, then Wellman, then Goddard. Denham was a very good pick up but we gave away Barnes to get it done who was a much better follower than Somerville.

Neil only played for Essendon. Tony was the other import. 

Interesting topic!

Of course it asks the question “what is home grown?”, as well as pitching quality vs quantity.

Goddard is a standout though if he only ends up playing 70 games for us you’d think it would be left wide open for us to pinch a young player early on who could be just as good but have the majority of his career with us.

Alan Stoneham was okay. 

Wellman was a fantastic player. From the time I’ve watched it would be between him and Goddard.

McPhee was good when he first came across. But his fumbles and the way he left tainted his contributions

McPhee was good when he first came across. But his fumbles and the way he left tainted his contributions

First he played for Freo, then he played for us, then he wanted out, then he didn't, then he went back to Freo, then he decided to come back to Victoria. Lots of indecision there, l think that is what caused a lot of his fumbles, indecision. He was great in the air, because he didn't have to think so much, just fly for the mark, grab it and hang on. lt was when the ball was on the ground or in his hand that the problems started.

Wellman. Goddard making ground.