Best Restaurants in Melbourne

My wife and I are coming down to Melbourne to celebrate our anniversary over the weekend of the Dreamtime game. She has sorted the accommodation and I have the job of booking a restaurant for dinner on Friday night. I’m looking for recommendations. We are staying in the city and only have public transport/uber as options. Any recommendations most welcome.

Taylors Lakes McDonalds.

6 Likes

Lord of The Fries 2am on a Sunday morning

2 Likes

Cuisine? Budget?

1 Like

Shakahari in Carlton.

Any cuisine. Budget -don’t want to spend hundreds per person but more than Taylor’s Lakes Maccas.

:rofl: The question I have to ask myself is - how many times can you take your wife to Maccas for your anniversary before she accuses you of not putting in any effort?

3 Likes

Ember in Warrandyte. Do the Feed Me option. You won’t be disappointed.

1 Like

What sort of style of thing are you after? Fine dining? Something from a more obscure cuisine you maybe haven’t tried before? Something classic & reliable?

I’d go to chin chin, flinders lane. Spicy Asian food.

10 Likes

I reckon once as a novelty. If you do it again, better start contacting divorce lawyers.

Some CBD options.

San Telmo- Argentinian Steakhouse.

Pastuso- Peruvian cuisine (same owner group as San Telmo)

B churrasco- All you can eat Brazilian BBQ. They bring the meat to your table and carve it there.

Hereford Beefstouw- Danish steakhouse

If you want something a lil price friendlier try the CBD Squires Loft (South Yarra is the best one).

EDIT: CBD Squires Loft is temporarily closed, so I’ll throw Sezar in there.

Nice Armenian restaurant.

2 Likes

I’ll second the Chin Chin recommendation. Can’t go wrong there.
Bistro Guillame at Crown - French, run by Guillame Brahmin awesome as well.
Maha- middle eastern run by Shane Delia. Delicious!
La Luna Bistro in Carlton. Run by Adrian Richardson. Especially if you love great steak / aged meat. Had my wedding reception there. And Adrian is a great Bombers man!

2 Likes

Bottega

Bourke st, city.

2 Likes

Love Chin Chin. Also Magic Mountain and Cookie.

1 Like

This is my number one choice. :white_check_mark: Always outstanding.

Other notable mentions:

• The Atlantic (Southbank/Crown)
  • Railway Club Hotel (Port Melbourne)
  • Carasello (Moonee Ponds) … not “5 star” dining but underrated and could literally have anything on this menu for breakfast, lunch and dinner and not get bored.

I’m saving that one for if we win Dreamtime…

4 Likes

Admittedly, I haven’t been to Attica, but Gimlet is the best restaurant in Melbourne imo. The combination of amazing food, beautiful building/location, ambiance and service. Potentially more exxy than you are looking for but if you want a special experience …

Also Chin Chin is the place. Mrs Fox and I will be lunching there before Anzac Day game.

1 Like

Pellegrini’s for pasta. It’s a Melbourne institution. Fast, delicious, even easy on the hip pocket. I get their lasagne and load up and parmesan. Oh baby.

2 Likes