Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2

37 Likes

the dudes a natural leader. awesome that hes extended.

4 Likes

Great news this.
Good laugh, always at the centre of things on and off the field. And Sammy has that bit of “What was that I just saw …” in his game be it a 50m inside out torp or big soccer off the ground, a GOTY, the odd speccie or just revvin’ the boys up. Love him as our player and ruck.

Think he’ll really kick on under Brad the Scott next year. Like HAP @Henry_s_Angry_Pills fairly points out, we just need him to up his marking averages for a ruck his size and athleticism now. We’ll be flying when he does

8 Likes

Scott will love him!

1 Like

You think those rises are insane? Try 17.5% and see how you handle that.

1 Like

You don’t have a clue. People buying huge houses at the extreme range of their lending limit, then complaining about small, Yes small interest rate rises. Wait until you reach 17.5%.

3 Likes

Big Sammy needs to come in here death stare anyone talking about how tough interest rates were when they were young

What a character Sammy is, always makes me smile.

It really has been Good News Week.

(enough for now please I can’t take much more good news)

4 Likes

Some of us were paying 18% back in the 80’s, which on a mortgage of 80k was about $300 out the door every week just in interest- half your salary.
And never got below 5% for about 20 years.

3 Likes

Good news. And what’s the bet that 2024’s salary has been brought forward to 2023?

1 Like

Sammy Draper, fixed or variable interest?

1 Like

I always worry about front ending contracts. It sounds like a good idea when you have extra cap space, and a younger team, but when it comes to those last year or two on low pay, moving to another team that will pay much better starts to look attractive.

We won’t have touched his 2025 salary, since that would impact his free agency status. It would only be 2024 money we would bring forward to 2023.

1 Like

Also got hit with this interest rate around 1987/8. I tried paying more, but in the end the bank said l needed to extend the time rather than increase the payment. I had to agree, as l was trying to get by on about $50/week, and just scraping by. At one stage l was working 3 jobs a week. As a single bloke it was far from easy.

6 Likes

My situation too. 17.5% damn near killed me. But I only worked 2 jobs … a waiter for 3 nights pw. Those were the days but at least you were on the ladder. These days its so tough for 20-30yo to get going property wise.

3 Likes

Yes literally thousands of boomers have the exact same story how they found it hard to maintain their mortgage.

Most of them draw the exact wrong conclusion.

1 Like

Have not seen anyone drawing a conclusion, just stating fact that high interest rates were a burden at the time .

2 Likes

And the funny thing is there is heaps of waiters jobs at the moment that people are unwilling to do.

1 Like

Yes interest rates were much higher. The cost of houses was also about 3x annual salary. Now it’s 7-8. Ups and downs of every era. However all that will happen if things crash is those with money already will buy the bargains. Not the first home owners. Much like equalisation in the afl - never works out how those in charge want it to

4 Likes

Depends, if you panic sell you most often lose out, lot of people ride the wave