Big Sammy Draper - #1 ruckman now #2 (Part 1)

I’m impressed that you’ve dropped someone who didn’t play.

2 Likes

Yes
I think TBC needs a spell already

And as has been mentioned, there is a lot of supporters playing down any issues with Draper sitting on a rookie list.

The rookie list is only 1 year contracts… so there is no security for future.

The Rookie list is substantially less pay, than the coin on the main list. So while for most of us, the money that is made on a Rookie list is a decent annual salary… his mates who are on the main list are buying houses, new cars, and living the highlife socially. You can’t do that when you’ve had 3 x 1 year contracts on a rookie list. It’s a huge barrier.

The Crows will probably offer Draper the no. 1 ruckman position. Plus a big contract.

We haven’t locked him in by upgrading him to the main list, and put him on a multi-year contract. Now we have given the no.2 spot to a bloke that was playing in the WAFL.

5 Likes

The positive is that from everything I’ve heard he loves the club and is very keen to commit so hopefully the club and his management are already having a chat and he signs on soon

18 Likes

This fear of him leaving seems to be a bit of a Jenkins syndrome… yes he is a rookie ruckmen from Adelaide who is not getting a run in the seniors ( not quite there yet) but he is not behind hille, Ryder and Bellchambers In the pecking order.

Pretty much has the keys to the #1 ruck spot for the next decade at the bombers if he wants them.

6 Likes

Great to hear let’s hope so.

Yet Jenkins became a forward at Adelaide.

1 Like

Well, at the moment that combo would be one genuine ruck…

3 Likes

Also has some awesome sponsors.

15 Likes

The minimum pay for a rookie is low. But he’s free to negotiate a higher pay rate as with any player. Him being a rookie doesn’t change that part.

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t think that’s true anymore. I think Draper is completing a two year deal on much higher than rookie wages.

2 Likes

Correct the latest CBA throw out most of the restrictions relating to the rookie list. It’s actually ajoke they still actually separate lists other than for Cat B players.

1 Like

Minimum wage, not capped afaik

Edit: what the 17 other people above me said.

1 Like

Was fortunate enough to meet Sam only a few months after we drafted him. He was just a skinny kid then. Its fair to say he has filled out and matured amazingly well. The one thing I remmeber from that night was how much food he ate!

smile
I just remembered helping him kick a goal at training.
He was taking shots from the boundary before training, and enjoying it, too, but missing everything.
The wind was ridiculous that day and he mentioned it to me.
I told him to kick one to the top of the square and see what happens.
shhhhhhooooooooo straight through the middle three quarter post high.

At least I think it was him.
Very tall, very happy kid.

5 Likes

Ladies and Gentleman the goal kicking coach we’ve been looking for. Hire this man!

22 Likes

Loves us and is enjoying living with the likes of Mutch, Clarke etc. I don’t think he is going anywhere.

9 Likes

There is some serious love between the 19-22 year olds. I’d be doing everything possible keeping them all together.

5 Likes

Hmmmm?

2 Likes

@nackers might get upset at that…