Bill Cosby

While we may think he is guilty, until he is proven guilty we must assume innocence, just as we have demanded for the Essendon players. In this day of social media and vast internet access, the assumption of guilt seems to be the direction people are taking.

They read the news, make up their mind and assume what they won’t. Until a court says otherwise I think we should assume innocence. It doesn’t mean we think the accuser is lying, it means we do not have the evidence, all the evidence, to make a decision ourselves. What lawyers. judges and juries see are vastly different to what we often see and it is only until later,and sometimes not even then, that we can get a better understanding of what may or may not have happened.

Quoted Post

While we may think he is guilty, until he is proven guilty we must assume innocence, just as we have demanded for the Essendon players. In this day of social media and vast internet access, the assumption of guilt seems to be the direction people are taking.

They read the news, make up their mind and assume what they won’t. Until a court says otherwise I think we should assume innocence. It doesn’t mean we think the accuser is lying, it means we do not have the evidence, all the evidence, to make a decision ourselves. What lawyers. judges and juries see are vastly different to what we often see and it is only until later,and sometimes not even then, that we can get a better understanding of what may or may not have happened.

Unless you are being sarcastic, there is enough evidence from “victims” to suggest other wise. Very different cases.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Unless you are being sarcastic, there is enough evidence from “victims” to suggest other wise. Very different cases.

That is the same claim that McIdiot and others are claiming, there is no difference.

You don’t know these women nor do you have all the evidence, you have claims and accusations, but they are not the same as evidence.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

That is the same claim that McIdiot and others are claiming, there is no difference.

You don’t know these women nor do you have all the evidence, you have claims and accusations, but they are not the same as evidence.

did you defend rolf harris when victims were coming forward too?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

yeah, but 34 women don’t just ‘come out’ so to say hello.

Not calling him a rapist, but not calling him a saint either.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

did you defend rolf harris when victims were coming forward too?

I am not “defending” anyone, I am saying that under our law, under everything that our society has been built on. is the foundational issue of innocence UNTIL proven guilty.

So Cosby is currently innocent until the courts say otherwise.

The public perception is that he is guilty but he is not. and should not, be tried by the public. Essendon and their players are guilty according to the public, so if that is the way you want to go then feel free to hand in your membership and scream out that the players should be suspended for two years.

If Cosby is guilty under the law then he should be dealt with accordingly but until he is then he should be treated as innocent. That doesn’t mean you have to like him, that doesn’t mean you can’t feel frustrated on behalf of those making claims but you should not be treating him as guilty.

Are they even charging him/going to court on any of these? If not, why not.

What a load of tosh. I don’t need the legal system to make moral judgments on my behalf. It may be that Cosby is never convicted due to the time that has paseed and the lack of anything other than weak circumstantial evidence. Enough people have come forward for me to form a strong opinion that Cosby is a grubby sex offender. So far 40 odd people have made claims against him. If 1000 people had made such claims, would that be enough for you to form a judgment?

What’s the point of charging him? He’s pretty much done. Even if he goes to prison it won’t make a difference. Bloke can hardly breathe.

Quoted Post

What a load of tosh. I don't need the legal system to make moral judgments on my behalf. It may be that Cosby is never convicted due to the time that has paseed and the lack of anything other than weak circumstantial evidence. Enough people have come forward for me to form a strong opinion that Cosby is a grubby sex offender. So far 40 odd people have made claims against him. If 1000 people had made such claims, would that be enough for you to form a judgment?

Yes, of course, the more people complaining, the more guilty he is.
We all know that, surely.

Quoted Post

What a load of tosh. I don't need the legal system to make moral judgments on my behalf. It may be that Cosby is never convicted due to the time that has paseed and the lack of anything other than weak circumstantial evidence. Enough people have come forward for me to form a strong opinion that Cosby is a grubby sex offender. So far 40 odd people have made claims against him. If 1000 people had made such claims, would that be enough for you to form a judgment?

No it isn’t, we do not have any evidence just claims. Anyone can make a claim, it happens all the time, doesn’t mean that it is true. I have seen this first hand and it is destroying.

He may well be a grubby filthy guy for all I know but so far no one has taken him to court, and in America you do not need the police to lay a civil court claim yet no one is doing that…so far as I know. Everyone is just coming forward and putting stories in the media.

However I am actually discussing a side topic rather than the guilt or innocence of Cosby specifically.

Innocent until proven guilty

Not guilty by weight of stories in the media or social media.

I see lots of stories, so far not seeing too much proof, and numbers is not proof at this time.

Getting back to Rolf Harris as someone brought in earlier, he was was found guily, therefore he is guilty and is reaping what he has sown and rightly so. Before that he was innocent until proven guilty and should have been treated as such.

If the stories can be proven in a court of law about Cosby (and I hope they are btw becuase I too have an opinion) then I will shout guilty from the rooftops and celebrate him facing justice. Until that time he is innocent, under the law, of the stories being written and that is the way the rule of law should work. If not you start facing situations like witch hunts (this happens in the modern world on social media but that is another topic), rough justice and end up with situations like what happened to the innocent lady in Afganistan, she was murdered by the public based on stories told about her, stories since proven to have been false. This happens in India quite a lot too, and in most ME countries, and in Africa and South America.

Trial by media is bocoming the fashion in our world too and it needs to stop or more innocents will die, either from suicide or from vigilante justice. Once this happens all that we have built and the foundations that were laid are undermined and our society falls down.

By all means people should investigate Cosby, and all those where accusations are made against them, and they should be brought before court where a decision can be made. (And yes I understand that the courts do not always get it right however this is a small percentage of cases. Hopefully they are discovered and rectified and procedures put in place to lesson the likelihood of it reocurring.) I know it is hard for people to accept this because we all want justice and get outraged by those who we think have behaved against what we believe is right, but we also need to remember that at some stage someone could make a claim against us (like what has happened at Essendon) and we would hope in that situation that people would treat us as innocent until it is properly brought out in court.

The Essendon players were found not guilty and the evidence shown to be wrong however we are all frustrated becuase the court of public opinion has decided that they are guilty regardless of the evidence.

You’re taking the position the legal system is the sole arbiter of morality, and that it is infallible. Sure, these claims have not been tested in court, but there have been enough people come forward for me to form a strong opinion on what sort of person Cosby is. Historically there have been countless people who have committed atrocities and never faced justice. Are we expected to withhold our judgment of them because no legal ruling has been made?

Quoted Post

You're taking the position the legal system is the sole arbiter of morality, and that it is infallible. Sure, these claims have not been tested in court, but there have been enough people come forward for me to form a strong opinion on what sort of person Cosby is. Historically there have been countless people who have committed atrocities and never faced justice. Are we expected to withhold our judgment of them because no legal ruling has been made?

So what make you right ?

We have a World population of 7 Billion or so and a few Yanks have said Cosby raped them. Let Justice prevail and let Cosby have his day in court.

Just because enough people say he is guilty does not mean he is.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
You're taking the position the legal system is the sole arbiter of morality, and that it is infallible. Sure, these claims have not been tested in court, but there have been enough people come forward for me to form a strong opinion on what sort of person Cosby is. Historically there have been countless people who have committed atrocities and never faced justice. Are we expected to withhold our judgment of them because no legal ruling has been made?

So what make you right ?

We have a World population of 7 Billion or so and a few Yanks have said Cosby raped them. Let Justice prevail and let Cosby have his day in court.

All I’ve done is form an opinion. Haven’t you ever formed an opinion on someone or something without the state making a ruling on it first?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

So what make you right ?

All I’ve done is form an opinion. Haven’t you ever formed an opinion on someone or something without the state making a ruling on it first?

So did that Afgan village when the murdered an innocent women. That is the point, an opinion does not mean it is right.

For what it is worth I also think he is guilty however I will treat him as innocent regardless of my opinion.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
Quoted Post

So what make you right ?

So did that Afgan village when the murdered an innocent women. That is the point, an opinion does not mean it is right.

For what it is worth I also think he is guilty however I will treat him as innocent regardless of my opinion.

A court ruling doesn’t make it right either.

FWIW I’m not considering hunting down Cosby and making him pay for his crimes.

I’ve seen the jumpers he wore. That’s enough for me.

You’re fighiting an uphill battle IceT. Peoples attention span of what it felt like to be on the receiving end has already mostly dissipated.

That being said IMO it’s just human nature so no point trying to stop people doing it, same as anything really that if you like person x or whatever it is, you will most likely think they are innocent. If you don’t necessarily like them you’ll think all of this proves he’s guilty.

Quoted Post

You're fighiting an uphill battle IceT. Peoples attention span of what it felt like to be on the receiving end has already mostly dissipated.

That being said IMO it’s just human nature so no point trying to stop people doing it, same as anything really that if you like person x or whatever it is, you will most likely think they are innocent. If you don’t necessarily like them you’ll think all of this proves he’s guilty.

Yep, you are right

Yep, agree.