Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

I agree- terrible umpiring seemed to gift goals whenever we were trying to arrest an ounce of momentum. I went off a fair few times…

When umpiring decisions cost us 3 of the first 4 goals that’s when it was game over. Troy Pannell was a complete dud as usual but his replacement wasn’t much better. AFL umpires are so far behind in professionalism it isn’t funny!

I completely lost the plot tonight, I think I actually lost control when Hurley got his head bumped for no free kick

I was sitting on the fence near where the umpire went down. As the crowd booed, the boundary umpire visibly shook his head in disgust at the crowd. We got crucified after that with the deliberate againt hooker, hurley getting hit etc. there was a good chance they took it personally and paid us back in kind…

1 Like

I was sitting on the fence near where the umpire went down. As the crowd booed, the boundary umpire visibly shook his head in disgust at the crowd. We got crucified after that with the deliberate againt hooker, hurley getting hit etc. there was a good chance they took it personally and paid us back in kind.....

They are so professional...

I was sitting on the fence near where the umpire went down. As the crowd booed, the boundary umpire visibly shook his head in disgust at the crowd. We got crucified after that with the deliberate againt hooker, hurley getting hit etc. there was a good chance they took it personally and paid us back in kind.....

Right, because the boundary chump calls the game and all the frees. 

Did Hurley boo?

Umpires would never take it personally. Just like when they gave Hird 3 Brownlow votes for being clearly BOG the week after bagging the umpires. Oh...
1 Like

That doesn't explain why they butchered us before that though does it?

1 Like

It'll be near impossible for us to beat the top echelon of teams this year, even if we are in A1 form.  I think it is fairly obviously that Essendon doing well in the next couple of years would be seen as gravely embarrassing by/to AFL House.  

Either the AFL have instructed (perhaps indirectly) the umpires to apply the nth letter of every rule against EFC, but to give liberal interpretations when it is EFC's turn to receive, or the umps are doing it subconsciously because of all the ASADA junk.  

People who don't even follow AFL who I was watching with tonight were questioning if silent, wallowing me was not noticing the patent bias against EFC.  I am not a conspiracy theorist by nature, but this just seems to fit the narrative so well, it seems the most logical. There were hints of it at times last year, but it is far more obvious now, probably even more blatant up in Brisbane last week.

We would still have lost tonight, but we weren't 9 goals worse than that Swans team. I am definitely not claiming an excuse for the loss - we were quite appalling in the first quarter - and I am hardly reputed as an umpire blamer, but this is becoming a bigger issue for me than merely winning and losing... it is killing the game and team I love.  They have smashed us off the field, and are now getting us ON the field as well.

Given our recent history though, I expect nothing more from the club than to roll over and keep letting everyone have a free (no pun intended) shot at us. Sometimes I feel like I am starting to hate this game...

Very very quick to pay decisions against us, tell tale sign that they are after us.

When umpiring decisions cost us 3 of the first 4 goals that's when it was game over. Troy Pannell was a complete dud as usual but his replacement wasn't much better. AFL umpires are so far behind in professionalism it isn't funny!

The guy that replaced him wasn't good enough to get a game in the first place.

Like the OP, l never, ever blame the chumps for the result. l am not about to start now. End of story, nothing to see here, move on.

No Captain, I don't think anyone is saying that Bombers deserved to win and Sydney maybe were a ten goal better team on the night, but fark, the umpiring was very poor and some decisions were just bewildering.
And so what if an umpire got boo-ed, none of us really want him to be hurt, but we were all brought up booing Maggots, and it is Un-Australian to be any different.
And we would all rather our Sons to be Gay than be Umpires !

Did Hurley boo?

A bit, when the doctors ran out to him after being bumped. They asked "how many fingers?" to which Hurley was heard to first say "booo" instead of "two".

A maggot finally gets killed and I'm not allowed to be happy?  There's truly no joy left in footy.

I said this last year, and I will stand by it now.

I can not believe that the umpires have been told how to umpire against us. Surely if that were the case, it would get out.

I don’t have another explanation, other than subconsciously we are penalised because of last year.

And don‘t get me started on the umpires‘ repeatedly refusing to have the players‘ safety as the first priority… so many players dead on the ground and they don‘t take the opportunities of convenient stoppages to get the carcasses out of the way first.

And golly gee… they stopped the play for this. Some animals are more equal than others.

If Hurley was wearing Brown and Gold would the decision have been the same? I doubt it!!

Like the OP, l never, ever blame the chumps for the result. l am not about to start now. End of story, nothing to see here, move on.

No Captain, I don't think anyone is saying that Bombers deserved to win and Sydney maybe were a ten goal better team on the night, but fark, the umpiring was very poor and some decisions were just bewildering.
And so what if an umpire got boo-ed, none of us really want him to be hurt, but we were all brought up booing Maggots, and it is Un-Australian to be any different.
And we would all rather our Sons to be Gay than be Umpires !

I did. I was hoping the the motorised golf buggy was going to run him over (i'm being 100% legit too)