Blatant cheating by umpires - “having a ‘mare tonight” (Part 1)

Borne out by the WEagles having the greatest free kick differential at Optus of any team in the league. (Or so it was reported, on here.)

1 Like

That’s the part that really got me. But then again they tend to try even it up late in games. Giving the op free kicks in the backline.

1 Like

This doesn’t make sense to me. If you’re obviously letting things go near the end for fear of providing a scoring opportunity in a tight game (which the article states is something they do), then your decision making accuracy changes. Does the writer mean “decisions-made accuracy”?

I bet the whistle gets put away on their wedding night. Ooh, matron!

2 Likes

:joy:

Fell into her back… play on
Holding the ball… play on
Score review… umpire’s call

3 Likes

I don’t think it’d hurt to group the (field) umps into trios.

You’ll never get 100% consistency between umps, but I can’t see any advantage to having them work with different people every week. A footy team that did that would be woeful.

If they work with the same people every week they will hopefully get on the same page. Week to week is harder, but at least within one game you will get a feel for how they’ll pay them.
It’s at least worth a try IMO.

2 Likes

Oh FFS they can’t even use the word WRONG.
Classic case of tell yourself what you want to hear.

This is apparent to all, and everything that’s wrong.

If a decision would get made differently on the wing in a 50 pt game than in front of goal in a 5 pt game, the rule needs to be changed/clarified/rewritten.

We can all see midfielders get a lot more off ball contact. We can all see backmen get mauled and can’t do anywhere near the same in return.
That’s wrong.
It’s the same game, same rulebook, same ball.

Oh come on, you know only Essendon players get charged with “staging.”

Of course, and Carlisle after all is an EX Essendon player.

1 Like

In defence of the ump, the vision from the ump cam had him directly behind another player at the point of imaginary contact.

Not really a defence - don’t see it clearly, don’t pay it…

5 Likes

Normally I’d agree but it was good footage. Vision was obscured for a second. You see a hand go out and then he’s grabbing his throat. In this instance I can forgive him. If it was us though…

Auckland Warriors are so upset about their umpiring they’ve asked fans to come to games “dressed as refs and bring a whistle”. How funny would it be if we all did that and you had 50,000 people blowing whistles when a free is missed? Imagine ANZAC Day!

7 Likes

Maybe a protected area infringement or two also

3 Likes

Have it in, thanks boundary…

Gee, you’d love to see that again on replay, wouldn’t you Duck?

1/2 time; Suns several frees straight in front, Bombers 0…nuf said

It’s not just those. The hopping of the arms, the blocking in marks, the diving on the ball, trip of Saad. Enough 50/50 not going our way and all their way. Having said that we look awful

1 Like

Well. Ahem.

They don’t influence games of football, remember.