Blitz Birders

We do get Wedgies round here but not recently, plenty of Swamp Harriers though.

1 Like

Gang-Gang Cockatoo - The Grampians.

Sadly just been added to the Threatened Species List.

Used to see them all the time when I was a kid, with their creaky gate call.

14 Likes

Around Canberra, south coast and Alpine north east Victoria , often sighted.

Really? Damn.

We get a stack come through around Christmas time, feeding on the Hawthorne trees out the back. I really like their call.

1 Like

Drove up to Baw Baw for a snow day right around end of August/start of Sept one year - nearly ran over maybe a dozen lyrebirds (without even really trying).
Start of rooting season, they literally chase each other all over the joint.

Would give a new dimension to the phrase “laughing your ■■■■ off” - but no, thank you very much.

Insert @saladin diatribe about witnessing a great Blitz cameo from billiards thread here!
Welcome @Esteban!

“diatribe” seems a tad hurtful.

Said completely tongue in cheek :wink:

Thanks for the welcomes ! I’m a Bombers lidoffer bird nerd !

Have taken a few bird photo

s over the years.

Nice to have somewhere to share some.

This one is a Scarlet Robin, taken at the Grampians.

9 Likes

The striking coloured Robins & Wrens are so cool

We get a lot (and I mean a lot 10k+) migratory shorebirds at work so we do monthly counts with the local wader study group. I am pretty good on my identification but nowhere near as good as they are. We do get to do some banding and satellite tracking work which is pretty awesome. It is great to be able to see the birds up close.

Bar-tailed godwit having a leg flag attached.

10 Likes

Bar-tailed Godwits are the world record holders for non-stop flight: they have been recorded travelling 11,000km from Alaska to New Zealand in only 8 days, flying at an average of more than 50km/h. This journey is also a fantastic weight-loss program, as the birds lose almost half of their body weight along the way. Luckily, once they arrive in Australia, our mudflats are waiting, filled with tasty morsels to help them recuperate.

12 Likes

That sucks, they’re so cute :frowning:

Yeah they are amazing, all of the migratory shorebirds really. They shut down organs and parts of their brain during the migration to conserve energy. The change in appearance from the arrival in spring to departure after summer is amazing.

What also astounds me is that the older birds leave the breeding grounds first. So the new Norma make the journey on their own not having done it before. No idea how they know where to go.

3 Likes

Backyard visitors:

13 Likes

6 Likes

9 Likes

Turns out it’s not the ringtails stripping our backyard olive tree.

8 Likes

9 Likes