Blitz Metalhead Thread

I threatened to make this when that “cds trapped on an island” thread popped up but never got around to it.

Anyway, this is a thread for Blitzer’s to discuss all things metal (and by extension/association hard rock).

Maybe we can start with favourite sub genres, bands, albums and what we’re currently listening to

Favourite sub-genre(s): Power Metal (I prefer either the heavier American sound or Symphonic) and Metalcore/Melodic Death Metal (though with these genres I either love it to bits or can’t listen to it at all)

Favourite bands: Trivium (and unlike a lot of people I like them more with each album), Avenged Sevenfold (self titled onwards), Nightwish, Rhapsody Of Fire, Dragonforce

Favourite albums: Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime, Symphony X - Paradise Lost, Rhapsody Of Fire - Power Of The Dragonflame, Parkway Drive - IRE, Mastodon - Crack The Skye

Currently digging: Amaranthe (don’t hate the cheese power), Amon Amarth, Mercenary

yeah always really liked Nicks playing.

Cant believe he died whilst playing drums.

rust in peace

Shocked and saddened hearing the news of nick menza’s passing. For me Rust in Peace is the pinnacle of thrash metal and he was an important part the chemistry of the band. His place is in history with that album. RIP nick.

1 Like

Behemoth, Entombed, In Flames, Carcass, Obituary… death metal owning this page of the thread. And it continues…

3 Likes

oh, and another “currently listening to” that I can’t believe I forgot . . .
I present to you, Rainbow Dragoneyes
You’ll either thank me or want to kill me

Has anyone mentioned ghost yet

I’ve gotten hooked onto Five Finger Death Punch.
Pity didn’t know they were touring.

Others I’ve liked…
Avenged Sevenfold (Almost Easy and Afterlife are great to listen to).
Disturbed (from Ten Thousand Fists backwards).
Bullet for my Valentine (prior to their latest album).
Some Helloween stuff.
Some Testament stuff as well.

Used to be into metal in a big way a long time ago. Was into a lot of Scandinavian bands, like Edguy/Avantasia, Nightwish and so on.
Others off the top - Blind Guardian, Opeth, Spocks Beard, Liquid tension Experiment (OSI/Dream Theatre), King Diamond, Pain of Salvation, Rammstein, Therion, Helloween, Tool, Chincilla. I like a lot of hard rock, also (kind grey line in a lot of what I like) .

King Diamond/Mercyful Fate has some of my favourite guitar riffs of all time. The mixing just makes the vocals really hard to listen to (when compared to the King’s work on the Roadrunner United album for example)

Has anyone mentioned ghost yet

Had a listen and they remind me a bit of when I listened to Arcturus through high school

Never been across all sorts of metal, but I can appreciate it, Most of my tastes would lie in just scraping the surface. the classic tracks from bands from the 90s Metallica, Danzig, pantera, Anthrax, Judas Priest, Helmet (is this even hard rock?) Sabbath and some of the early stuff is obviously really cool too, but I’d have to say my heavy metal tastes are pretty vanilla.

Always loved the artwork on a lot of the metal albums though, any album that just screams ‘your mum and dad are gonna flip when they see what you spent your pocket money on…’

1 Like

Followed through with the threat huh?
Good stuff, “death to all but metal”!

Shall hit this thread up tomorrow.

2 Likes

Never been a hyooge metal fan, but don’t mind a bit of Pantera, Slayer, Slipknot, Iron Maiden, Queensryche, RATM or Disturbed (do the last two bands count?). Metallica can suck a fat one, though.

One of my mates was trying to get me into metal for a few years, he kept burning mixed cds for me. At the time he loved BFMV, Trivium etc.
I liked it but I wasnt hooked, thats the beauty of metal, there are so many sub genres… not long after I went to Parkway Drive’s Sick Summer Tour w Confession opening for them down at the 21st in Frankston. Holy hell what a show.

Nowadays I still listen to Parkway & Confession, I also love
The Ghost Inside
In Hearts Wake
Amity Affliction
Northlane
Prom Queen
August Burns Red
Miss May I
Thy Art Is Murder
Memphis May Fire
Stick To Your Guns
Bring Me The Horizon (although newest album is crappy)
Architects
Stray From The Path

I still go to shows as much as I can, although it’s getting hard as most of my mates are married with kids and I dont want to be the creepy old guy there on his own…

I've gotten hooked onto Five Finger Death Punch. Pity didn't know they were touring.

Not anymore - Ivan is in hospital. Didn’t even realise they were supporting Sabbath until I saw they’d cancelled.

Seeing Maiden and Sabbath in the next couple of months. Really looking forward to them both.

Favourite bands include Metallica, Mastodon, Machine Head, Gojira, Lamb of God, Opeth, Katatonia, DevilDriver, Tool and Maiden.

And unlike Eastie_Boi, I’m very, very, very content pretending Trivium broke up in 2010. Ascendancy and Shogun are two of my favourite albums, but the stuff since In Waves, my god…

Am off to see both Sabbath and Maiden too for the very first time ever…

Can
Not
Wait

FARK YEAHHHH!!!

■■■■■■■

I don’t like metal.
But I like Maiden. And Manowar’s Fighting The World album is hilariously good.
I need melody.
I need articulation in the sound, rather than a swamp.

It’s funny the bands that were considered metal. Mötley Crüe, AC/DC, Cinderella, even Bon Jovi before they went global.
And by considered metal I guess I mean anyone that Circus would write about.

I don't like metal. But I like Maiden. And Manowar's Fighting The World album is hilariously good. I need melody. I need articulation in the sound, rather than a swamp.

It’s funny the bands that were considered metal. Mötley Crüe, AC/DC, Cinderella, even Bon Jovi before they went global.
And by considered metal I guess I mean anyone that Circus would write about.

I don’t think a lack of melody is what you dislike about metal
That or you’ve somehow done a good job of listening to nothing with melody (which seems doubtful)

‘Metal’ is so diverse that you just can’t accurately describe it with any kind of characteristics. Hence the million sub-genres.