Blitz Probe Cycling

I’ve been steadily increasing my fitness levels the last couple of months. Up to around 300km per week. I don’t do the road bike thing as I like to go off road and mix it up a bit. Yesterday I had a nice ride from Williamstown to Brimbank Park in Keilor and back. There is a great gravel stretch along the Maribyrnong from Steele Creek to Brimbank which has some very fast drifty sections that challenged my rusty bike handling skills. It was so good to arrive at the fjord at the bottom of Horseshoebend Rd where I used to live as a kid. The ride along the Maribyrnong is so nice these days, green from all the rain and these great new tracks I didn’t know existed.

6 Likes

Nice. You should join the stravablitz club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/40778

Strava is telling me I’m averaging 397km a week for the last 4 weeks.
It’s lovely along the Maribyrnong, it can get quite crowded during the middle of the day.

3 Likes

Drove up to Wodonga on Sunday to check out a lightly used bike I was very keen on. My instincts were correct, it’s fantastic. I like my gravel bike but it’s a bit heavy with steel frame and alll sorts of bikepacking bits hanging off it so I bought a fully sick carbon cyclocross (Giant TCX Pro 1 with 38mm Panaracer tyres) for general hooning and it rips; so light and quick and comfortable through all sorts of terrain. While it’s a very good racing bike I don’t race but with a BMX/dirt background it really suits my style.

Don’t have any actual pics yet but here’s a video:

6 Likes

Look very slow on video, almost stationary

1 Like

lol dunno what happened there

tcx

tcx

Internet is making it impossible to load the actual pic

Just picked up this little beauty yesterday from Rosebud, via Facebook Marketplace for $150. Pretty good value. There are plenty of other bikes around out there, but this was the most affordable. Fished out the helmet l bought in China, but haven’t taken it for a spin yet. I won’t venture out just yet, not until l have bought a chain an lock, as l have
had too many bikes stolen, including the Solomo l bought from China, which was stolen from a shed behind the house where l was staying in Perth.

4 Likes

Got one of these about 3 years ago and still love it. I ride for excerise, try to get in about 2 or 3 40k rides a week, sometimes 50k
Paod about 1700 back then and see them for around 650 used on eBay.
Mine gests used a lot and still as good as the day I got it. Very light and comfortable. Can recommend! And of course is red and black, well actually the red is a bit orange, but I’m calling it red and black God damn it.

s-l400 (1)

4 Likes

Any recommendations for bike lights?
I have started going early mornings 5:00am a couple of days a week and my lezyne microdrive (200 lumens i think) is probably not up to scratch its like probably 4 years old and not that bright compared to others.

looking at Lezyne macro drive 1000 - 1300- 1600 range, but not sure what lumens would be sufficient, for group rides including unlit country roads.

currently have Knog strobe rear light as well, but looking at getting moon nebula, or maybe jsut adding one or two of these kmart ones that my mate has and work ok.

1 Like

I have 2 front and rear, 1 each knog (because they are small and easy), and oh I don’t know the others. I got them off wiggle and they’re both bright and rechargeable. But I am riding n the city, so am really looking at “be seen” lights rather than what you might need for unlit country roads!

1 Like

ended getting one of the these.
will update once I use it.

and a cheapy tail light so i didn’t fork out postage.

4 Likes

For all the weekend warriors.

2 Likes

I’ve been experimenting with tyres on the touring bike. I reckon these 43mm Gravelking Panaracers are the biz. Go over almost anything but still have great roll speed at 40psi

3 Likes

Are they the SK GravelKings or standard ones?

I’ve used the standard gravelkings (28s) on gravel rides on the roadie quite a lot and they’ve always been really good.

These are the SK. I have some of the other ones in 38mm. The SKs are a bit knobbier but they roll smoothly, not like a mountain bike tyre with tyre hum.

1 Like

That’s bad but not as bad as this one:

2 Likes

messing around with the commuter bike. Mountain bike tyres and some touring bars have transformed it into a pretty decent all terrain tourer:

4 Likes

Looks good. I’ve got lots of back roads, dirt and gravel terrain for you to tour.

It even has a map to assist in locating local brewers …

4 Likes