Blitz Watch Along - Week 3 1965 GF 8pm tonight

Fraser surely had close to 10 as well?

The call on it being a Sheedy type team. Big players in every position was pretty accurate I reckon.

1 Like

The no deliberate and oob was fascinating

I think it should last one more year, only.

HIT THE BOUNDARY!

2 Likes

Reckon @Kj_11 nailed it. That won’t be topped

1 Like

Biggest difference was the absolutely terrible kicking. No idea at all of kicking it to your own team, basically because no-one could rely on kicking it accurately. Might as well just blast it forward if you don’t know where it is going anyway.
Secondly, the lack of body work in marking contests. Everyone just jumps for the ball. Joey would have kicked a squillion in footy played like that. (And no-one would mind his kicking for goal).

Interesting to watch - out of defence, Saints seemed to always want to go to the boundary line.
On the other hand, we always seemed to want to attack through our wingmen (Epis, Blew) and keep the ball alive.

It meant we got the ball quickly to our marking forwards who duly obliged.

1 Like

Thanks Scotty and contributors.

I don’t think I have ever watched that game. I think my Dad went but I don’t remember any football from 1965. Most 1965 memories are from Kindy which was only a few blocks from Moorabbin oval. Dad told me not to follow saints as it would always end in misery.

The game was fast flowing, play-on football mainly due to the terrible field kicking. Exposes the myth that Barassi invented play-on football at half time 1970 grand final.

4 Likes

l reckon most of the scrubby kicks were drop kicks, that is why they were phased out of the game. The drop punt was easier to execute and the accuracy rate higher.

1 Like

Torps from 25 mtrs out amused me

Next Week

Terrible kicking, liked Fordham, umpiring poor, commentators very good.

Enjoyed the match and more so the win.

Completely out of likes again

2 Likes

Drop punts were hardly ever used. They were considered a safe short distance kick, but only used by a very few. It was not until the 70s that they began to be used to pass the ball accurately.

2 Likes

Friggin’ Friday night shifts…

You could just watch the game while reading the posts.
Not quite the same thin l know… okay it is nothing like the same thing… not even close, but it is better than nothing.

I read the posts anyway.

2 Likes

You’re 55 years behind anyway.

having watched not much of this era of footy before.
It was a bit comical watching all the drop kicks and torps. moving quickly behind the mark and there still were a lot of miss kicks straight to the opposition.
still there were plenty of good marks and good bumps. And some midfield players showed good movement/agility out of contested situations

would be interesting watching a game of skill level of the bottom sides of 1965.

2 Likes

Amazing that drop kicks were seen as an b efficient kicking method. That being said… bring back the torp

4 Likes