Bombers pubs/bars?

Good day, Bombers community,

long time reader, first time writer here – a German Essendon fan who caught the Bombers bug while visiting Melbourne last year. I was born and raised on Bundesliga football (soccer), a member and season ticket holder at VfB Stuttgart 1893 for years. I had the chance to sample live footy last April when the Bombers took on St. Kilda in Round 4 and dismantled the Saints by 37 points at the Etihad Stadium. A great introduction to the footy game was rounded off by drinks and ambitious live music at Young & Jackson‘s!

Am currently planning another trip, combining business and pleasure and am looking forward greatly to another chance to see the Bombers later this month.

Question to the longstanding local Bombers supporters: Are there any traditional pubs or bars where Bombers supporters meet not only before or after the matches, but also when the Bombers play away to watch the match on telly? Places that display club memorabilia, where one can soak up the Essendon atmosphere?   

Thanks in advance, all replies are greatly appreciated.

KrautBomber

There are many pubs and bars to see the games and fellow bomber fans. Windy Hill is one of them as that’s where the bombers use to be and still is the spiritual home.

In terms of the inner city… no idea as I usually just frequent Crown sports bar in West End or the one in in punt road

Willkommen KrautBomber! I lived in Munich for a year and supported TSV 1860 .... it took me most of the year just to learn how to say the name properly. Footy culture here is a bit different to German soccer culture - we don't tend to get pubs themed by team. I suppose Percy's Bar in Carlton (owned by one of the few likeable Carlton players ever, PercyJones) is an exception and the London Tavern in Richmond used to be very "Richmond", but this happens less and less. I believe you get a bit of it in Adelaide and Perth, and I know that for example Bells Hotel in Sth Melbourne was Port Power themed for a couple of years in order to attract visiting Power fans (but why????!!!!) [answer ... Port Adelaide paid them]

Silly Billy is correct - Windy Hill is always a good place to watch, but living in the Southeast suburbs I tend to go to the public bar at the Elsternwick hotel (the one at the back) where there's always quite a few Bomber fans moaning into their beers as Freo get yet another mystery free kick over in Perth.

Maybe that's an untapped marketing opportunity...get ahead of other clubs and have venues.

Sadly Windy Hill's own facilities are too small to house any more than 150 people to watch interstate games.

Maybe that's an untapped marketing opportunity...get ahead of other clubs and have venues.

Sadly Windy Hill's own facilities are too small to house any more than 150 people to watch interstate games.

Spot on pazza. Here's a thought for the club .... why not use the HPC? It has massive projection facilities (I believe?) which could be used to beam the away games on to a wall. Set up tables, chairs, bean bags, catering. You can make a bit of money off 1000 hungry, thirsty fans.

We could also get a handful of suburban pubs to play along - eg the club sends them some red and black paraphenalia to spruce up the bar on match day and the bar provides a 20% discount to card-carrying members.

Buy a ticket and go to one of the games if u get a chance!

Spot on pazza. Here's a thought for the club .... why not use the HPC? It has massive projection facilities (I believe?) which could be used to beam the away games on to a wall. Set up tables, chairs, bean bags, catering. You can make a bit of money off 1000 hungry, thirsty fans.

We could also get a handful of suburban pubs to play along - eg the club sends them some red and black paraphenalia to spruce up the bar on match day and the bar provides a 20% discount to card-carrying members.

Unfortunately, the facilities at Tullamarine (the cafe) is even smaller.

And I would doubt (strongly) that there is enough parking and whatever to make using Tullamarine work.

I use the example of how Liverpool through the Melbourne Liverpool Supporters Association (nice name that one)...has pretty much full use of the Imperial Hotel in the city for all of its matches. It shares the facility with Melbourne Heart (Heart have 2 pubs in Melbourne - the other is the Precinct in Swan St Richmond).

My idea would be to have as full (or near to it) of places like the Royal in Essendon or the Linc just up the road.

Windy Hill in Essendon and The Sporting Globe in Moonee Ponds are the best options if you want a predominately Essendon crowd.

I think the club were trying to promote The Botanical as an essendon joint for away games last year.

I think the club were trying to promote The Botanical as an essendon joint for away games last year.

The fudge is that?

the Royal 

I'm there.

Yeah they had a few players/ex-players attend, with free giveaways etc.

Gentlemen, thanks much, really appreciated!
Quickly went through the replies, this is what it looks like: 

Windy Hill - Brewster & Napier Street

Sports Bar on Punt Road – Pint on Punt - 42 Punt Rd, Windsor VIC 3181, Australia

Percy's Bar & Bistro - 418 Lygon St, Carlton VIC 3053, Australia

London Tavern - 238 Lennox St Richmond Melbourne

Elsternwick Hotel (public bar at the back) - 259 Brighton Rd, Elwood VIC 3185

Tullamarine (The Café) -

Precinct Hotel - 60 Swan St, Richmond VIC 3121

The Sporting Globe - 690 Mt Alexander Rd, Moonee Ponds VIC 3039

The Botanical - 169 Domain Rd, South Yarra VIC 3141

Humbert Humbert, you hit the nail on the head, us European football/soccer supporters tend to be a bit territorial when it comes to choosing the right watering hole to watch our favourite clubs play. And glad to hear you decided to chose TSV1860 over the dark side of Munich. Although I am Stuttgart through and through, 1860 ate a proper football club oozing with history and still plenty of loyal support. And we all know that supporting a club is not about glory-hunting :-)
Thanks again, lads, for filling me in. That'll help me stay on course when I am down under in two weeks. Unfortunately, it looks as if I won't be able to watch the Bombers live. Only Carlton playing at home during that timeframe...
Up the Bombers & Stuttgart!

Many of those listed were mentioned as other club's haunts. ie. Percy's Tavern is owned by a Carlton guy. Just double check. 

Get to the G and into the Grog Squad mate! We'll welcome you with open arms.

I highly recommend the sporting globe

If you’re around while we play Carlton you just have to go.

No worries, it is understood that Percy's Tavern and The London Tavern are not necessarily Bomber strongholds (yet considered Footy places, good to soak up the atmosphere, albeit somewhat more appropriate when supporting Carlton or Richmond, respectively). 

<span><a data-ipb='nomediaparse'  class="" href='http://bomberblitz.com/forums/index.php?/user/5950-savio_the_don/' title="">savio_the_don</a></span>

@Savio The Don, 
pardon my ignorance, trouble is I am from a far away non-footy place, I am not sure what to make of your "Get to the G and into the Grog Squad mate! We'll welcome you with open arms.". Are you a Richmond supporter? 

kraut, my man. any chance of sneaking me in to the merc-benz arena when i'm in germany in november?

No worries, it is understood that Percy's Tavern and The London Tavern are not necessarily Bomber strongholds (yet considered Footy places, good to soak up the atmosphere, albeit somewhat more appropriate when supporting Carlton or Richmond, respectively). 

savio_the_don

@Savio The Don, 
pardon my ignorance, trouble is I am from a far away non-footy place, I am not sure what to make of your "Get to the G and into the Grog Squad mate! We'll welcome you with open arms.". Are you a Richmond supporter? 

KB,

In Melbourne, the locals call 'the MCG' simply 'the G'. The Grog Squad are a supporter group that enjoy a few beers at the football. The Grog Squad are saying that you are more than welcome to join them at the game. They are definitely not Richmond supporters, they too are Bomber supporters.

The Rose in Fitzroy is a good footy pub. I watch our interstate games there. There is normally supporters from both sides in the pub.