Bombers v.s Cats Review Thread - Neelded to find a way

Smith B & F what a steal

10 Likes

A lot more tackles in the forward half this week.

You guys missed identifying the most beautiful thing in footy; ie

Conor McKenna kicking goals of the HBF. Should have nailed 2 of them. The way he moves and slices through the opposition is as graceful as friggin ice dancing at the olympics.

Sorry for being flakey Hurls, but conor is my new favourite player.

17 Likes

I think I’m the only one here that likes these reviews but their call on Zac Smith getting caught with the ball and not being penalised is hilarious.

3 Likes

Stewart is nuts below his knees. Cleaner than some of our midfielders.

8 Likes

Hardly a mention in here but he was excellent yesterday.

Great team effort across the ground.

Hmmm concerning. When this bloke is on he is almost the barometer for the team. Frustrating season for him but just oozes class.

Where the actual ■■■■ did that performance come from

5 Likes

Although the tackling was wonderful, one of my absolute fave things out of the game was general body contact. Even if we couldn’t reach the player before they disposed we consistently gave them a touch or bump. Not too late, not giving away frees, just a constant reminder we were right on them all the time. It would’ve really put doubt in them in regards to having time and space, and they turned the ball over a lot through this pressure.

6 Likes

We laid 91 tackles yesterday, the same number as against Carlton. The difference? 19 F50 tackles to 11. The pressure we put on meant the Cats defence couldn’t waltz the ball out like teams have done against us this year. It means we win repeat F50 entries and it also makes it easier on our backline. Raz 8 tackles, Baguley 7, Walla 6. That’s 21 between the small forwards. Stringer 7 as well. A remarkable transformation and one that has to be the benchmark for us for the rest of the season. The first half took me back to some of our best from 2017. It was exciting! The second half was a more dour affair (although with greater accuracy, especially in the 3rd we could have and should have extended our lead even further) but the damage had been done.

A great win, but also with the 2s victorious there are blokes back there putting their hands up for selection. Redman, Francis, Parish all prominent, Green 3 goals on his return. Selection pressure is good to keep the guys in the 1s honest.

3 Likes

Baguley also makes a noted difference to our forwardline. Thought it was a bit of a gimmick but he adds a level of hardness and toughness that I don’t think we’ve had in the forwardline for a long time. I’d persist with him there and see if he can keep it up.

7 Likes

Was great. Wasn’t it.

I just liked that niggle i.e. Langers niggling Danger at Stoppages.

Heppell nearly KOing himself to contest at half back etc.

And the desperating was same as Port game.

1 Like

It was last chance saloon for him. Down back he was being exposed for a lack of pace, strength in 1 v 1 battles, Anzac Day being the classic example. But with our lack of defensive pressure up forward, it was worth a shot and he looks rejuvenated in this role. Nice move by the coaches and credit to Bags for embracing it!

7 Likes

I felt like we smothered the ball more times yesterday than we have in the first few rounds of the season combined.

2 Likes

It feels great to knock these ■■■■■■ off. They’ve had us by the balls for over a decade and routinely destroyed us winning flags whilst we’ve endured the worst period in our history.

Would love to build up a streak against them.

1 Like

Only game I haven’t been able to watch all year.

I’m the jinx, aren’t I?

13 Likes

Large part of why we can beat top teams.

Top teams rely on their game plan and trust that will get them the win. Lower teams just focus on derailing your game plan and tag your best players to try get the win.

With GWS, I can’t imagine them tagging Merrett. They’d have to put trust in their own mid field.

7 Likes

That wins the internet! Genuinely have coffee coming out my nose.

Yes

Yep at the game I thought that’s the first smother I can remember seeing this year. So many of the small things we’ve been missing were back. FFS if nothing else let that be a standard set from now on.