Bourke Street Part Deux

At the risk of sounding naive, un-Australian, or otherwise… what the heck is ‘old mate’ that keeps getting used in here? I did search, to no avail.

Old mate - china plate - crockery - lock and key - prisoner/criminal.

2 Likes

Another odd comment from Ol’ Fox,(a worrying trend of late) they’ve shot and killed quite a few over the years with knives.

Race or religion didn’t seem to come into it, … it was more about,. . you know, the knives.

1 Like

Perceptions can be misleading.
I’d be willing to bet cop deaths on the job and at the hands of criminals are far less now than what they were 10 years ago, 20 years ago etc or at the very least not statistically different.

I know the cops will have a lot of thoughts going through their head but somehow I doubt they’ll say “he has a knife, I’m fine. Wait, he’s a Muslim, need to shot now”

5 Likes

btw, that explanation was a bit of a penguin.

Emporer - Bonaparte - modern art - load of complete bollocks

1 Like

Summary execution.

Reasonable.

3 Likes

Yeah, I should have worked that one out…

2 Likes

Nope

Race and religion always comes into it.

If you are a white Catholic and do a mass murder, you are a NutJob . If you are black you are part of a Sudanese Gang and if you are Muslim you are a terrorist.

3 Likes

And if you’re a white catholic who kills a whole bunch of black folks and inhabits a country you get a statue and a holiday.:crazy_face:

1 Like

■■■■ you are stupid

1 Like

LOL

You just want to deny reality.

I don’t really give a Fark that they shot this bloke, but denying authorities racially profile is laughable.

1 Like

The fact the guy was black / muslim / terrorist / nutcase / psycho / drunk / whatever probably wasn’t forefront of the copper’s minds, he was a threat, a threat that was slashing at them with knives and wasn’t going to be stopped, and that threat had to be stopped. So they stopped him. End of.

3 Likes

I must be missing important information but can someone explain why the police have handguns as opposed to tazers? Wouldn’t have impacted this situation other than saving the suspect’s life but I am a bit confused as I thought that tazers make a lot more sense and are less OTT.

1 Like

Someone did mention possible bomb vest complications, but yeah, it’s a strange one. Thought that was first resort but maybe where it’s deemed potential terrorism scene it’s cannons out. There is a policeman posting here who might be able to clarify.

Tasers are unreliable. Thick jackets or clothing can often prevent them taking effect, they have a short range, and as far as I know (which admittedly isn’t far!) you don’t get an easy or quick second shot if you miss first time round.

3 Likes

They’re also not used in circumstances where an offender is potentially about to use lethal force on another person. They’re only used to subdue less serious offenders.

Sadly and often that is exactly the way many people view it.

I thought I read they did try tasers first but it was unsuccessful.

1 Like