Brandon Matera

Apparently we are interested in Matera.
Last year I thought he could be a good target for us but inconsistent this year. Plus with other, as yet unproven, options like Eades already on the list, do we save any potential bargaining chips or do we look to upgrade someone like Kommer.

Assuming we have 1, 19 and 37, 55 and they have 4, 22, 40, 58 I'd be going pick 37 and 55 for Matera and 58.

We have enough developing small forwards. Why chase a fringe player.

Incorrect.
We have young half forward flankers who are developing into midfielders. Not crumbing small forwards.

We have Eades, Fantasia and McKenna developing in their roles - We have more need for inside midfielders and Talls.

@"The Bomb"

I’m not sure the stats you put up are reflecting negatively from this year.

14 possessions average for a small forward would be about right, in fact very good. Eddie betts 2016 average - 14.6 in a top side

Just over 30% of his possessions contested which again would be about right for a small forward, not meant to be and is not a big bodied extractor.

And kicking 2 goals a game. Which would extrapolate out to 40 goal season. Eddie Betts - 2.8goals/game average 2016.

2016 Tackle stats down off small sample size but in 2014 and 2015 were excellent @ approx 3/game. Eddie betts 2016 AV @ 3.9 tackles.

…

Small forward not getting midfielder like stats. Must be crap. You’d never pick him in Supercoach team. Not worth looking at.

Matera would play every week if his form was so good.

Assuming we have 1, 19 and 37, 55 and they have 4, 22, 40, 58 I'd be going pick 37 and 55 for Matera and 58.

Incorrect.
We have young half forward flankers who are developing into midfielders. Not crumbing small forwards.

We have Eades, Fantasia and McKenna developing in their roles - We have more need for inside midfielders and Talls.

Wait, you reckon we have more small forwards than inside mids?

Serious wtf Yaco.

Incorrect.

Wait, you reckon we have more small forwards than inside mids?

Serious wtf Yaco.

You need more midfielders than small forwards - You usually play 3 or 4 inside midfielders and one small forward.

14 disposals and 2 goals a game? Give him 1m dollars.

If we do get Matera it will be because of Bluey.
Sack Bluey

If we do get Matera it will be because of Bluey.

You listed a guy who has never played, a guy who is currently pinch hitting as a small forward and an Irishman who may end up a player, but will never end up a crumbing small forward.

That’s too many?

Shall I list the inside mids?

I don't want Matera or Green at the club
Can say that one or two have posted that Green is not worth 400K - I think its a touch overs - I'd pay 350K, especially seeing the average wage is nearly 300K

It’s pointless to quote my posts, without including the text from the posts in which I responded.

You are adding little to the discussion.

Incorrect.

I think we’re on completly different pages with our definitions of small forwards.
I’m talking about Eddie Betts, Steven Milne, Lindsay Thomas, Hayden Ballantyne, Mark LaCras, Jeff Garlett.

Genuine stay at home, don’t leave the feet of your Full forward, goal sneaking, crumbing forward pocket.

History has us using first year players (who we draft as midfielders) as forward pockets. But we want to get games into them, so the longevity of that position is always in transition. Because when Zac Merrett, Fantasia, Jackson Merrett, Collyer, Kommer shows abit we move them to the midfield where we need them. Yet if they don’t play well there, we put a line through them and say they’re no good. Yet they were drafted to play as a hff/midfielder.

The only forward pocket we’ve drafted who hasn’t aspired to be a midfielder in the last 10 years has been Del’Olio.

I don't want Matera or Green at the club
Can say that one or two have posted that Green is not worth 400K - I think its a touch overs - I'd pay 350K, especially seeing the average wage is nearly 300K
Kicked 3 today, albeit against Brisbane but he is looking pretty handy.

How could he kick 3 in an AFL game?

Yaco’s been telling us he’s played plenty of NEAFL and will never be any good.

Of course he is capable of kicking 3 in a game - And its not the first time he’s kicked 3 goals - I’ve rated him as an average AFL player - And never stated he is not good.

I don't think the consensus is that he is no good. The consensus is generally that Matera is better than green and we should take him if we can virtually steal him. Not many believe we should actually give up anything of worth, though there are a few that disagree.

I don’t think anyone has suggested we give up massive coin or our top picks for either but the thought was that both Matera & Green looked to be out of favour with their clubs & so there was the possibility of paying unders for them. Both have shown they are more than capable of being effective small forwards in spite of not meeting yacos “special” standards. Now with each game that possibility is looking less likely as both are now playing regular games & Matera in particular has been very good. 37 disposals & 5 goals the last 2 weeks is the return of a top quality small forward. He has had these form runs a few times in his career so its not an aberration, if he can find consistency he would without doubt be among the best small forwards in the game.

Personally I’m more on the Green bandwagon simply for the fact that I believe he’s more likely to be gettable. If it was a straight choice most would agree Matera has been the better player but I can’t see GC letting him go cheaply. Brissy on the other hand are a basket case & have been haemorrhaging talent for a few years now. Docherty for example was pick 11, 2 years later they trade him for pick 33 & he’s now one of the better small defenders in the game. Yeo is another talented player they sold for unders then there’s Polec & Longer & Luey walked on them last year. I think its possible a player like Green could reach their potential elsewhere. Not saying that means we are necessarily in the right position to get the best out of him but Brissy just doesn’t look like a place many want to be.

Can say that one or two have posted that Green is not worth 400K - I think its a touch overs - I’d pay 350K, especially seeing the average wage is nearly 300K - I make no apologies for wanting high standards at the club.

I’m confused.

You want high standards at our club but want to pay this squib 350k?

If the average is 300k then he is right on the cusp of average to not quite. Given that big contracts inflate and new recruits deflate this range heavily 350k would be well overs imo

Is there something wrong with you ? - I don’t want Matera or Green at the club, which I’ve posted more than once - My previous post was in reference to a post that Green is seeking 400K and then matching this up against the average AFL wage.

Anyway if Tippa and Fantasia continue to play like today, then we can close any thread about small forwards.

He the kinda player that would flourish in a good side.

I reckon I’d play better in a good side than a bad one.

And I’m crap.

Don’t think any side is good enough to turn your crap into good footy then.

@"The Bomb"

I’m not sure the stats you put up are reflecting negatively from this year.

14 possessions average for a small forward would be about right, in fact very good. Eddie betts 2016 average - 14.6 in a top side

Just over 30% of his possessions contested which again would be about right for a small forward, not meant to be and is not a big bodied extractor.

And kicking 2 goals a game. Which would extrapolate out to 40 goal season. Eddie Betts - 2.8goals/game average 2016.

2016 Tackle stats down off small sample size but in 2014 and 2015 were excellent @ approx 3/game. Eddie betts 2016 AV @ 3.9 tackles.

…

Small forward not getting midfielder like stats. Must be crap. You’d never pick him in Supercoach team. Not worth looking at.

â– â– â– â– â– â–  pathetic post.

Cool lets use his last 3 games and compare them to Betts, why not use his last 28 games were he has scored 29 goals, compared to Betts 85 goals. Also Betts gets over 50% contested possessions. Even compare their careers if you want, but Matera will be nothing in comparison.

Matera averages 1.09 goals a game lets use a bigger sample then his last 3 games, or that wont suit your argument?

As I said before Matera is crap.

So we shouldn’t get him?

I reckon I’d play better in a good side than a bad one.

And I’m crap.

Incorrect.

I think we’re on completly different pages with our definitions of small forwards.
I’m talking about Eddie Betts, Steven Milne, Lindsay Thomas, Hayden Ballantyne, Mark LaCras, Jeff Garlett.

Genuine stay at home, don’t leave the feet of your Full forward, goal sneaking, crumbing forward pocket.

History has us using first year players (who we draft as midfielders) as forward pockets. But we want to get games into them, so the longevity of that position is always in transition. Because when Zac Merrett, Fantasia, Jackson Merrett, Collyer, Kommer shows abit we move them to the midfield where we need them. Yet if they don’t play well there, we put a line through them and say they’re no good. Yet they were drafted to play as a hff/midfielder.

The only forward pocket we’ve drafted who hasn’t aspired to be a midfielder in the last 10 years has been Del’Olio.

Not many pure small forwards are drafted - They are either drafted in the back end or they are trained to be small forwards.

I reckon the most of the best small forwards played the role when they were juniors.

Incorrect.

Not many pure small forwards are drafted - They are either drafted in the back end or they are trained to be small forwards.