Breaking stuff - the home reno thread

A couple of pics.

This has been quite an intensive build, tbh. It starts on a concrete , covered “alfresco” and I then framed out with bearers / joists at the same level over some general backyard ground. I ran some aggy lines in as the first step to ensure decent drainage. Setting your levels is the crucial thing, if you have the capability of doing that it’s pretty straight forward. Though I’ve found it quite intensive in terms of hours spent.

Went with wide spotted gum boards, double fixed with stainless screws on every joist. I had to clamp every board to shape them to a consistent spacing, pilot hole / countersink and impact driver roughly 1500 screws. Every bearer was “creosoted” (not real creosote, that’s now banned as its actually carcinogenic) , as were all the joists exposed to weather. I also treated the bottom of each board where they crossed the joists. Anything below 400mm above ground is prone to damp troubles, so whilst it’s probably overkill I thought I’d do it.

I’m fortunate in that whilst I’m not terribly fast at this sort of work, I do have most of the gear , a few skills and the time to do it. Hasn’t been cheap materials wise, but it would’ve been damn expensive had I paid to have it built at my pace, lol.

If you decide to do it, happy to offer advice /help.

8 Likes

I’m still using an A3 printed paper with my house number on it as I’ll one day get around to put up the metal version on the letterbox.

Only been 14 years.

5 Likes

So I need to replace the front porch, with a traditional tongue and groove deck.

Looking at a lot of the ‘decking’ places, they do larger projects including design etc. so the actual construction work is done by a builder. Also the tongue and groove is more like a hardwood floor, than a deck.

So…

Should I be contacting:
A decking guy who probably sub contracts to a builder?

A floor sanding guy who probably subcontracts to an installer?

Go directly to a builder?

good luck getting wood

speak for yourself.

3 Likes

SALADIN GETS WOOD? whats the wife gonna think of this

What’s the benefit of doing tongue & groove over decking?

In answer to the question, I believe any job over $5k needs to be done by a builder. Anything under that can be a carpenter etc.

It’s a period home, and that is the style of decking/porch from the period.

It’s not ideal as some of it will be hard to keep dry, but it’ll look the part.

Yeah wood is pricy as. Seriously look at alternatives or wait if you can.

Ridiculous, jobs are twice as much as they normally would be.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s only 10sqm area, so not crazy.

I can do maybe another year, but it’s falling apart and looks ghetto.

Pretty sure it’s $10k.

3 Likes

You mean twice as much as the used to be. Kidding yourself if you think prices will ever go back to what they were.

1 Like

Well it doesn’t grow on trees, you know.

4 Likes

Well my house over 100 years old, is held together with cup hooks and panty hose, and multiple coats of paint. :banjo::banjo:

4 Likes

Yeah it looks like $10K
Doubt it’d be that much, but the sun floor looks farked.

Assuming a builder ‘could’ do a job under $10K, whether they’d want to us another thing.

Alternative is FIL has offered (recommended) his services, but I imagine it’s much more involved than he has the skills and I have the patience for.

1 Like

You can try landscape gardeners as well.

1 Like

Wood is a commodity, there’s no reason why it won’t when the issues predominantly in supply chain causing the prices to spike dissipate.

There’s some local timber price gouging at the moment because internationally sourced stuff has supply constraints.

You would be able to find some that do that kind of work.

1 Like

Laying flooring itself is a piece of ■■■■. And 10 m2 is not much.

But if it looks farked, then possibly the structure needs repairs. That’s where the money’s going to be.

So I tried one of those online job posting services.

First quote was probably in the ballpark for cost, but the guy sounded pretty suss and not confident he knows what we actually want.

Couple more coming by today for a look.

Makes me keep putting off a heap of other renovation discussions I need to have.