Breaking stuff - the home reno thread

Good tradies don’t have to pay for sales leads.

Actually had better results asking on local suburban Facebook pages. But nothing beats word of mouth.

2 Likes

Well, if the 3 I got linked to

1. Ok price, but not sure he knows what I’m after
  2. As above, but a nice guy and would be ok for another job.
  3. Understands what I’m after, and will build it as I ask for it, but not sure he’s done too much of it before.

Will suss out the local word on the street

post a photo of the work area, Tinhill. And which part of Melbourne are you in? I know a few chippies around the place.

1 Like

Great work. MrHeff and I built our deck 11 years ago. Got quotes for $15K, we did it for $6K. It’s the time taken that was most difficult, all our free time was spent building it.

12 Likes

@tinhillterror ask the heffs for a quote seems like they’re really cheap 6k instead of 15k wowee

3 Likes

As long as they don’t charge travel cost, bit of a hike from ACT to northcote

2 Likes

MrHeff would be delighted to offer discounted services to essendon supporters

1 Like

Oh yeah, that’s why they’re cheap. Pies supporter Mr Heff will be casing the joint.

3 Likes

Totally

This is a bit of a long shot but would anyone know what Street in Caulfield Nth “House around a pond” is?
Its built by Leone Constructions
Architect: Sue Carr
I want to check out the Krause Emperor ‘Ghost Grey’ bricks in the flesh and can’t find the address anywhere

Did you find it?

Would love to know what the hell you were talking about.

1 Like

So just out of theatre for the 2nd time following that little mishap a few months back. Hopefully this time it’s made the hand useable. Be careful in your renovations blitzers!

1 Like

Nah I was hoping someone on here might know what I’m on about but not meant to be.
I’ll phone the builder on Monday - they might give me the address but was hoping to check it out tomorrow!

Just googled it for interests sake, looks mint!

There another house at 97 mathoura rd toorak that might have the same brick??

Actually no, they’re more of a cream colour.

Might be a dumb question, but here goes.

The council won’t let someone build a separate dwelling on a block. Fair enough. A dwelling must have 4 things, from memory 1. food prep area, 2. kitchen sink, 3. shower and 4. toilet. So presumably you can build a second structure (not a dwelling :wink::wink::wink:) that is simply a lounge, bathroom and bedroom. If anyone needs the toilet, then can go to the original dwelling.

OR, you can you help me understand extending, Is there a Victorian definition for extension?

As the existing dwelling perfectly loveable, but contains asbestos and you don’t want to touch it.

Can you build a new structure that is joined be a communal area like a deck, and it be considered an extension, rather than a dwelling? Or do the need to be under one roof or have some other shared space?

Turns out they couldn’t save the end of the finger and they cut it off at the 2nd joint.

My wife asked me if she could call me stumpy.

I strongly objected for obvious reasons.

1 Like

personally would like to thank mackster for re-affirming why i’ll continue to avoid DIY

3 Likes

No Mackster, only Stumpy

He’d be happy to hand out the high four and a halves to any other renovators.

2 Likes