Brisbane 2032

No seriously!

Challenges Atlanta as WTF Olympic hosts

4 Likes

If they make Bingo an Olympic sport Iā€™ll start training now.

Kudos to 3AW

Running this as the main story with the headline of ā€˜Brisbane set to be awarded the 2032 Olympic Games, now lets talk to a sports expert in how the AFL will benefit from thisā€™

The competition wasnā€™t great; Istanbul, Jakarta, a joint North and South Korea bidā€¦

Yay for them, I guess, but it feels very odd.
Perth would have been good if it was to go to Australia again.

1 Like

I assume the AFL benefit(s?) by having a new 80,000 seat stadium?
Surely they canā€™t host it at the Gabba?

No ā€¦ the plan is to host the opening/closing ceremonies at Suncorp and host the athletics on the Gold Coast at Metricon

IOC wants ā€˜cut priceā€™ olympics now ā€¦ no new big spending on flash things that wonā€™t be ever used again

2 Likes

Heike Drechsler

7 Likes

Gee, itā€™s a good sounding name!! (Late Show reference for those not old enough)

10 Likes

They should recycle Olympic cities from now on. Im assuming they have most of everything built from the commonwealth games?

No way should anything new be built. Use the Olympic Games to renovate existing facilities. There are some facilities Iā€™d argue we probably only need 1 of(at least in terms of size) in the country.

2 Likes

I still havenā€™t got over that failed 1996 bid.

Pfft. Atlanta.

5 Likes

ā– ā– ā– ā–  the Olympics.

5 Likes

Kinda shows how far the olympics have fallen off in the last 10 to 15 years if cities like Brisbane are getting it. I mean its a nice place but itā€™s a stretch to even call it a city, its tiny.

I stand corrected ā€¦ Brisbane want to build a new 50,000 stadium for Athletics/Ceremonies but the IOC ā€œrecommendsā€ that they use the Gabba for ceremonies & Metricon for athletics

just a tad not PC! shows how times have changed!

3 Likes

Hopefully a upgrade for the third world facilities up there

What does @Humble_NSW_Fan have to say about this? Heard anything?

2 Likes

Noooooo. Fark off to somewhere else

Jesus thatā€™s a long time away

They arenā€™t too sure the borders will be open by then.

2 Likes

Itā€™ll be here before you know it.