Brisbane Lions

One of my all time favourite non Essendon players.

Totally fearless, unstoppable in his prime...he would have made things a whole lot easier for those around him.

Was a bit wild in his early days but once he learned to control his aggression, he was just an out and out champion.

And he has never let fame & fortune go to his head.

Agree that some of the assessments of him on here are less than stellar. He had a truly great career and achieved plenty. Gave his all for his club and has made the right decision to get out before injuries impact his health even more. 

A true champion…

Thing that gets me about Brown is how he gets such a lot of kudos for the three flags. The first one he had a good year but 02-03 he was the 3rd key forward and honestly probably about the 15th best player on their list - forward line was built around Lynch first, Bradshaw the #2, McRae/Aker/Des Headland/Power all just as if not more influential through there.

The heartbeat of that team was Voss/Black/Lappin through the guts, for the life of me particularly those latter two (and probably Johnson & Leppitsch) get nowhere near the credit they deserve because it’s all about Browny-ey (and, quite rightly, Voss).

He was a really really good key forward (right up there with Lloyd pre injury, Pav, Tredrea, Reiwoldt etc all pretty hard to separate) from about 06 onwards but they were absolute tripe as a side.

Gets undue credit for the great side he was a part of, compared to some of the very best in that side, IMHO.

Can’t help but feel the blokey bloke persona and fair share of media appearances have played a part in that, although timing obviously helped too ( a lot of the other flag players retired c 2005-07).

very good player nonetheless.

loved him.

genuinely ocker, sharp wit and hard as nails.

and has a missus called kylie. complete Australian.

I’ve always had a massive crush on him. What a great player.

Thing that gets me about Brown is how he gets such a lot of kudos for the three flags. The first one he had a good year but 02-03 he was the 3rd key forward and honestly probably about the 15th best player on their list - forward line was built around Lynch first, Bradshaw the #2, McRae/Aker/Des Headland/Power all just as if not more influential through there.
The heartbeat of that team was Voss/Black/Lappin through the guts, for the life of me particularly those latter two (and probably Johnson & Leppitsch) get nowhere near the credit they deserve because it's all about Browny-ey (and, quite rightly, Voss).
He was a really really good key forward (right up there with Lloyd pre injury, Pav, Tredrea, Reiwoldt etc all pretty hard to separate) from about 06 onwards but they were absolute tripe as a side.
Gets undue credit for the great side he was a part of, compared to some of the *very* best in that side, IMHO.
Can't help but feel the blokey bloke persona and fair share of media appearances have played a part in that, although timing obviously helped too ( a lot of the other flag players retired c 2005-07).

I tend to agree with you here.
Had to played 90% of the games he could have the story would be different.
2(?) All Australians and constantly just behind Tredrea, Pav and Riewoldt is probably about right on results and stats. Though I doubt any of them could lift a side over the line like Brown

The heartbeat of that team was Voss/Black/Lappin through the guts, for the life of me particularly those latter two (and probably Johnson & Leppitsch) get nowhere near the credit they deserve because it's all about Browny-ey (and, quite rightly, Voss).
Gets undue credit for the great side he was a part of, compared to some of the *very* best in that side, IMHO.
Can't help but feel the blokey bloke persona and fair share of media appearances have played a part in that, although timing obviously helped too ( a lot of the other flag players retired c 2005-07).

Totally agree.  Great player, but I always laugh when people say he's better than Riewoldt or Pav because "COUNT TEH FLAGS!!!1111!!!".  As if those guys wouldn't' have won flags with those teammates.

Some pretty ungenerous people in here. The bloke was a fantastic player and had the presence and the personality that carries footy sides.

This is the kind of stuff that makes people roll their eyes when Brown comes up.  His "presence and personality" hasn't carried them anywhere for about a decade.

Only player in the league who was able to make "facial trauma" a chronic condition.

Onya Jonno

Watched him at the Gabba against us & he really was a shot duck, besides that goal he set up when he ran out to about the 2nd row & the ump said play on. Hooker smashed him & I thought then 1 season too long.

I really rate him, behind Lloyd & Pav, but ahead of Riewoldt & Tredrea.

He must have taken 20 marks against us that night he kicked 8 & I don't think Fletch ever wanted to play on him again after that. 

Only player in the league who was able to make "facial trauma" a chronic condition.

Onya Jonno

He'll make a hell of a case study over the next 20-30 years...

Good shot on goal.

No, excellent.

Good shot on goal.
No, excellent.

True.

Some pretty ungenerous people in here. The bloke was a fantastic player and had the presence and the personality that carries footy sides.

This is the kind of stuff that makes people roll their eyes when Brown comes up. His "presence and personality" hasn't carried them anywhere for about a decade.
Exactly.
Decent player in a gun side, gun player in a middling-to-crap side.

This is the kind of stuff that makes people roll their eyes when Brown comes up. His "presence and personality" hasn't carried them anywhere for about a decade.
Exactly.

Right.  so, he was a gun player when they were ■■■■? doesn't that make him even better then,  considering the position he played?

He was ok as long as I never had to hear him speak.

Strongest hairline in the league. Looks like he’s wearing a helmet 24/7

Exactly.

Right. so, he was a gun player when they were ****? doesn't that make him even better then, considering the position he played?
Dunno, does the same apply to Fev, Richo, Tredrea-post-2004 etc because they often seem to cop it for being one man bands who couldn't really drag the side anywhere with them ?
He was a one man band after Bradshaw went (2008? 2009?) and for a fair bit of the time when he was there, down back. To me, for a key forward, that cuts both ways. He would've been getting a much bigger share (read: all of them) of entries directed at him than guys in better forward lines.

Bradshaw was an under-rated forward, even by Brisbane.