Bunnings go ape

You do realise that Bunnings BBQs are for the sole purpose of local community organisations making a buck. There is no requirement to pay Bunnings - so not sure how they are profiting. The organisations are required to meet certain criteria ie bread types, sauce varieties and sausages only. All sales go back to the organisations who only need to cover their costs.

Personally I think it’s a win all round. I get a lovely fresh snag, Bunnings gets me into their sheds and the local community benefits.

7 Likes

I took our 1 year old chocolate Brown lab to Bunnings weekend before last
Our youngest son had her on the leash in the next aisle while I was getting some timber down & I can guarantee that what she left on the polished concrete floor was way more hazardous than some onions

12 Likes

Yep. The one at our Bunnings supports the local Mens Shed. A very worthy cause. Doesn’t differ at all in operation or purpose from the one outside Woolies on a Sat Morning.

1 Like

Those sausages are disgusting. At the bunnings near us if it is a good cause I usually just give them $10 and don’t take a sausage.

Yes, I have seen the volunteers buying the cheapest (most fat and gristle) snags and the cheapest white bread from Coles before heading off.

If you would never buy that stuff yourself, why buy it from the BBQs at Bunnings (or school fetes for that matter).

Max Prophet

1 Like

Because the smell of fkn Fried Onions, … that’s why.

They’re all Evil I tell’s ya!!

3 Likes

How do the onions at Blitz open training sessions compare? @coldblood

Our cricket club had a fund raiser at Bunnings last year, I ordered the sausages from our butcher (who is also a sponsor) and the bread from local bakery, who gave us a discount. The club bought the sauces and a long time club member donated the onions.

It’s the only time I’ve eaten at a sausage sizzle. Other ones I give them a donation.

1 Like

Because they are raising money. My sons kinder used Coles/Woolies brand snags and bread because they had a set budget to spend. Made over 2k in sales for a day. All money goes back to the Kindergarden for resources/play equipment.

1 Like

Well, derr, of course they are raising money.

My question was not of the fundraisers but of their customers.

BSD had the correct answer.

A cheap Coles sausage on cheap white bread is friggin great for a hangover.

I used to live walking distance to a Bunnings back when I used to do stuff on weekends, and we’d regularly walk down there on a Sunday arvo loaded up with all the leftover pocket change from the night before, and just devour as many as possible.

6 Likes

Bunnings doesn’t allow any fancy items, so it has to be the most basic bbq snag sandwich, which lends itself to the cheapest option too.

I wouldn’t normally pick those sausages at a barbie, but when you are cruising through having done some work around the house, slight hunger mixed with the aroma of frying onions makes them the greatest food ever.

2 Likes

slow cooked onion till it caramalises a soft aroma of cinnamon and ground ginger with a big hit of fresh ground black pepper. Bunnings aren’t in the race.

1 Like

Bunnings charities are scorching the bejeezus out of those onions, they don’t have the time to do it right. A good slow cooked batch take ages to cook and concentrate the flavour but make sure they don’t burn lest they take on a bitter element.

If you don’t keep a vigil at the foot of a mountain in the rain with only the hide of a fresh kill for shelter then onions just don’t taste the way they should.

1 Like

Thread needs more focus on the sauces; BBQ or Tomato.

Most times I go Tomato, Humble Apprentice son always goes the BBQ.

Fark Carlton.

you have dismissed mustard as though it doesn’t even exist

9 Likes

I am always appreciative of those who supply sriracha. Suddenly everything tastes gourmet.

I don’t think they’ve heard about it up there.

2 Likes