Burning Jealousy - 11th in 2018 to flag in 2019

The AFL is and always will be an expanded VFL.
It might have been different.
It could have been different.
But it wasn’t.

That’s why we have the Coleman and the Brownlow and the same lists going forward from whatever year you care to name.

As if St Kilda being in the league wasn’t proof enough of that.

The VFL ceased at the end of 1989. Some of it’s traditions carried on along with it’s teams but a line was drawn under the old competition at that time.

There are lots of similarities but the VFL is long gone.

3 Likes

Lol.
The VFL issued licenses to other clubs.
They paid for the opportunity to join.
Made up teams with made up lists joining a league of established clubs.

2 Carlton? 1995 and… when?

1 Like

99 … well so they acted like it

1 Like

Then it should still be called the VFL.

It stil is , just interstate teams are allowed to compete under it. I mean look where the higher placed team I am playing the grand final.

@Diggers has a strong case.

https://amp.theage.com.au/sport/afl/saving-football-new-documents-reveal-how-close-the-vfl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html

The VFL was broke at the end of 86. Membership revenues weren’t enough and corporate revenue wasn’t enough to cover expenditure. Very little revenue was coming in by way of broadcasting rights. In a last ditched effort at survival, the VFL sought to expand the competition by 2x teams and charge $4m for each new licence. This money was what was required to keep things going in the short term at least. As the Victorian market for new sides was exhausted, they looked interstate for interest. West Perth had secret discussions with the VFL about joining but abandoned the idea once it became clear the idea wasn’t feasible. An independent consortium of interested business people were approached and put up the money for a new licence. My understanding is that Pt Adelaide were similarly approached in SA but the SAFL stepped in to stymie them. A Queensland consortium was approached once the SA option was confirmed as not proceeding.

The origins of the AFL had nothing to do with the betterment of the game, rather to save the bacon of the Victorian competition.

Putting the origins of the AFL aside, it’s evolved into the biggest sport in the country. Not a bad outcome.

5 Likes

Oh, there’s no doubt the extra teams saved the VFL’s ■■■■.
For which I’m sure we’re all very grateful.

But as mcewanc2 said, when WCE play Brisbane in the Grand Final, they’ll be doing it in Victoria.

For the time being.

True.
It might change over time.
I assume they’ve got rid of that whole ‘there has to be a final played in Victoria’ thing.

Granny secured at the MCG till 2057.

1 Like

No, it wasn’t.
They took down the old logo and put up new ones.
That’s all.

That’s the whole premise of the thread, so…

That’s the line I’m talkin’ about.

AFL is just a continuation of the VFL.

In 1996, the VFL/AFL celebrated its centenary. Are you saying that was incorrect?

Well, it happened so factually it is correct but it is an example of one of the traditions of the former competition carrying over into the new competition.

Bet you it says ‘AFL PREMIERSHIP’ on that shiny gold cup and not VFL.

sure, just like it says Telstra and not Telecom

3 Likes