Bushfires

Far to close to mum and dads in riddells creek for comfort. I flew over both the riddell fire and airport fires on the way back from sydney last night. To say its not a pretty site is an understatement.

Great work by the crews working on the Warrandyte fires last night. Sad about the loss of 4 homes but relief that that was all. The wind was blowing in all directions in Eltham so I could imagine that a lot of these guys fighting the fires would have been second guessing where to position themselves for the onslaught. 

I'm not with the CFA, though I've done several of their courses, and Warrandyte has terrified me for years.  So many people, such dense bush that hasn't burnt for decades, and really bad access roads for people trying to get out in a hurry.  Disaster waiting to happen. 

Good luck to the firies and to anyone in the area.

Far to close to mum and dads in riddells creek for comfort. I flew over both the riddell fire and airport fires on the way back from sydney last night. To say its not a pretty site is an understatement.

Melbourne fires from the air last night. Stay safe peoples.

melbournefiresfromair_zps64f9521d.png

Man some of those photos are insane. 

The photos look apocolyptic.

I was down at the Prom all week, but we left early sunday morning. The wind had picked up something shocking, the fire warning had gone to severe and I had no interest in being trapped down in gippsland if something broke out. 

So then I got home, and the CFA app on my phone started going apeshit because the warrandyte fire was about 8kms from my house!  

Could you just imagine trying to fight the fires above at night? Fark me. Every creature would be scrambling to get out of the fire's line, spiders, snakes, various mammals rushing past you or over you as you try to douse the flames. That would be a nightmare.

My best friend down in Orbost was all set to evacuate. Fires got about 10 minutes from her place before they turned direction. A close call. 

Could you just imagine trying to fight the fires above at night? Fark me. Every creature would be scrambling to get out of the fire's line, spiders, snakes, various mammals rushing past you or over you as you try to douse the flames. That would be a nightmare.

There aren't enough words to describe the level of bravery these firefighters demonstrate to keep the rest of us safe. 

I got caught near the Ferny Creek fire in 97, and I was never really in any immediate danger, but I've never been so scared in my life. 

There aren't enough words to describe the level of bravery these firefighters demonstrate to keep the rest of us safe. 

I got caught near the Ferny Creek fire in 97, and I was never really in any immediate danger, but I've never been so scared in my life. 

I was a "guest of Her Majesty" during the Ash Wednesday fires, and those of us with the appropriate security rating were offered a week off our sentence for every day we fought the fires. I went home 2 1/2 months early. And although it was one of the scariest things I've ever done, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. It's not very often in your life you get to do something that really matters. I saw some of the hardest dudes I've ever known in tears over dead cats/dogs. Over losing battles and seeing someone's house go up. It is a truly amazing situation to be in. To say that I have admiration for what the firefighters do is an understatement. Real life heroes - each and every one of them.

Fires north of Kilmore came within 50 metres of our back paddock last night,  thankfully seems our neighbours have kept their houses, Thanks to all in the marvellous red and blue flashing trucks of the various fire services which seemed to be all over the place last night.

Now to get through the next few days as heavy smoke, official emergency warning , road closures  etc. still in place 

Power still on (between us and the fire, internet via NBN fixed broadband is just the other side of the fires path.

Too close for comfort around here in Wallan. This is the second time that winds have saved the township.

Last time on Black Saturday it was heading towards Hidden Valley and then turned easterly towards Whittlesea/Kinglake.

This time it was heading towards us and then north westerly towards Darraweit Guim. Unfortunately it reached Pretty Sally and is getting close to Kilmore.

Wallan was full of CFA trucks this morning awaiting todays winds. Terrible memories everytime the sirens sound.

Is that James Podsiadly on the front page of yesterday’s HS fighting fires? Bliody close resemblance if it isn’t!

Hope this rain puts out the Hazelwood coal mine fire.

Hope this rain puts out the Hazelwood coal mine fire.

If it gets into the coal seam underground it'll burn for decades and they'll have to abandon the mine and everything in the vicinity.

Google 'Centralia Pennsylvania' if you want to be depressed.

Not sure what the coverage is like in Vic but Qld is having its worst start to a bushfire season in recorded history. The winds we have had around Brisbane lately have been scary.
Dozens of houses have been lost over multiple fires but to the best of my knowledge, no lives thankfully.
Sadly, arsonists have been responsible for some of the bigger ones, including the current fire at Peregian Springs, near Noosa. Kids and adults. Scum.
Amazingly there are still people burning off while all of this is going on. The complete lack of awareness is astounding.

I have to applaud all the volunteers for everything they do. While my colleagues and I get paid to do our job, these champions/heroes do it to help complete strangers. Usually at detriment to their own properties, families and jobs.

NSW are copping it as well so the usual annual progression from Nth Qld to Vic/SA/TASwill likely happen again.

Be ready. Be smart. Be safe.

1 Like

Traditionally the Victorian fire season kicks off in late December. Who knows what will happen this season with the climate doing odd things of late.

I’m feeling for the crews up in QLD right now. The problem with facing a worst on record fire season is your equipment and systems will hit breaking point.

Personally this summer will be tough to watch. I’ve moved into the city, so will be giving the CFA away. Having the skills to help but no avenue to use them is going to do my head in.

I echo your sentiments Mex. If anyone is heading to a rural area or living at the rural / urban interface, have some sort of fire plan before it happens, and stick to it.

1 Like

A mate just sent me these of one of the fires at the Sunshine Coast. The 1st one is from Coolum looking north.

2 Likes

There’s already been multiple deployments from Brisbane region and alot of operational staff who are working in desk jobs are being sent to backfill shifts.
Unfortunately, business as usual continues with 3 major house fires in the last 24 hours plus a large car auction lot went up on the weekend. Plus all the daily road traffic crashes, alarms, etc, etc.

Fatigue will kick in alot sooner this year for the personnel.

1 Like