Calombaris and other shonky employers

Mad. Start loading the cannons then. :cowboy_hat_face:

most industries are just as bad.
security industry is just as bad as hospitality.

but it all keeps going around in circles and continues to happen.

Did i hear right though, that those 3 ■■■■■ left the show cos they weren’t getting paid enough ?
despite being paid a millions dollars for the show ?

2 Likes

They wanted a 40% increase. I reckon they got sick of it and just put up an outrageous offer to make it worth it for them. Suppose it has tarnished their reputation a little bit.

3 Likes

Asking for a 40% pay rise is BS in their position. It’s not like they had to go to uni for 15 years to get to where they are.

1 Like

DONT LET THIS SWEET DISH TURN YOU SOUR! ONE MINUTE TO GOOOOOOO

3 Likes

So that’s what happened to Peter Costello

2 Likes

I’m exploding Seth Rogen from Long Shot

How does he avoid charges here? Ludicrous.

1 Like

That makes sense.

Exactly. White collar rich man crime, no penalty. Anyone else, screwed.

Corporates steal wages, no major penalties and just some bad apples. One or two union chiefs do something wrong, the entire concept is tarnished.

And don’t get me started on corporates using their expense cards to rip off companies our super owns shares in. Or rich people using trusts to avoid tax.

7 Likes

The Great British Bake Off is a much better show.

4 Likes

What is the charge? Surely there should be something. Anyway his restaurants are struggling and he just lost his Masterchef paycheck.

As much as I hate the celebrity chef, it’s basically every second restaurant that does it. Celebrity chefs are not the problem, the whole industry is a cesspool of manipulation.

I’ve heard stories about even Windy Hill underpaying workers. It’s absolutely rife everywhere, big, small, popular or not, owners of restaurants know they can take advantage of their workers and they don’t give it a second thought.

3 Likes

I DON’T LIKE THIS DISH…wait for look of horror from contestant…I LOVE IT!!!

5 Likes

There is a chance that Unions could sue in the courts and extract a bigger fine. A few experts are suggesting that Unions have this right under the Fair Work Act

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure you’re right. But it’s a lot slimier when a multimillionaire like Calombaris does it. He’s got a bunch of restaurants and millions in property and TV shows all over the place and he STILL feels the need to rip off his wait staff and dishpigs? Prick.

It’s pretty hard to blame anyone except the regulators to be honest. Scumbags are gonna scumbag, and if you can make a profit for years being a scumbag and never get burnt for it, then you can undercut the good guys on price and they’ll go to the wall and there’ll only be scumbags left. Amazes me that in Box Hill for instance, you can walk along the restaurant strip and half the chinese places are cash only - in 2019. If I’m a tax/fair work enforcement guy, I’m going straight there on my first day on the job and I’ll bust half the suburb. But they’ve been running qite happily like that for decades.

7 Likes

Wage theft isn’t a criminal offence, unbelievably. Trades Hall in particular here in Melbourne are pushing pretty hard for that to change (as it should)

8 Likes

But if you bust the restaurants in Box Hill they’ll all shut and Whitehorse will build 7000 new apartment towers in their place

1 Like

Gotta love the irony of georgie preaching achieving your dream on the show then underpaying min wagers at his restaurant.

2 Likes

I see it differently. How much input would he actually have on the day to day runnings of the restaurants he owns?

I reckon he just looks at reports of financials for his restaurants, sees the wage expense, accountant tells him it’s all on check etc etc and that’s it.

Whereas in smaller businesses youd be engaged as casual, the owner would come up to you directly and ask you to work overtime, lo and behold you aren’t paid for it. I find that more insidious.

2 Likes