Calombaris and other shonky employers

professional students who rack up a Hecs/Help debt so can get ausstudy and not have to look for jobs.

but think govt may have capped max Hecs/help debts now

I was always a ‘David and Camys’ fan, but I haven’t been to Box Hill to eat for a few years now. I’ve heard a few of the classic places are under new management, and not as good.

These days you can get quality dumplings in English speaking suburbs (even Boronia has a quality dumpling house now, FFS), so I wonder if that’s hurting the Box Hill restaurants? (Or the far more underated Springvale ones)

Didn’t we have a dumpling thread at one point?

1 Like

I’m sure they’re great, but I’m not going to be convinced to eat Boronia dumplings. Nope

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t travel a large distance for them, but if you were in the area (say, you were scoring some heroin or needed a “massage”) then I’d highly recommend. They are actually damn good.

4 Likes

Ramen and dumpling house, right? Where the butcher used to be, next door to the big greengrocer place.

They do good dumpling, ‘tis true…

1 Like

Main strip of Bayswater has some good asian restaurants now. 1 good and 2 decent Viet places, a good trendy malaysian, couple of good dumpling places.

The only rule with dumpling places is if it looks like a nice place to be, don’t eat there. Gotta be grungy as ■■■■ with plastic tablecloths.

4 Likes

I was on an advisory committee for Knox council for a bit - they had a big strategy of making that whole area a foodie/cafe strip. That’s why they widened the footpaths when they did the level crossing removal, they wanted to create space for food trucks or outdoor cafe seating.

Given there’s bugger-all parking and the scenery is of the Neo-Bogan Lowest-Bidder-Commercial architectural oeuvre I dunno how much luck they’re gonna have there, but at least you can get some good takeaway now.

From what I remember as a kid, that strip is about a zillion times nicer and less stabby than it used to be.

Has to be the “riding a pushbike with a carlton draught wearing speed dealer sunnies” capital of Australia though.

Two ■■■■■ out of Sydney complained over the weekend about the high cost of wages being the main reason why they closed their doors after only three months.

No mention that they’re shitt at what they do, just that the staff are too expensive.

1 Like

Business in Australia is showing up in a poor light again, still. It’s a race to the bottom.

The prevalence of underpayment

6.5 Underpayment is so prevalent in some sectors that it can no longer be considered an aberration; it is becoming the norm. Figures cited below are alarming. In Victoria alone, it is estimated that 79 per cent of hospitality employers did not comply with the national award wage system from 2013 to 2016.[3] The national average for noncompliance is brought lower by findings from other states, but is still hardly a figure engendering pride. Nationwide, it is estimated that one in two hospitality works are being illegally paid, with similar figures available for the retail, beauty and fast food sectors.

https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Education_and_Employment/AvoidanceofFairWork/Report/c06

This report explores the economic
impact of wage theft in South Australia.
Wage theft is widespread and likely
growing, impacting up to 170,000 South
Australian workers to varying degrees,
and almost certainly costing South
Australian workers, collectively, more
than $500 million a year.

The amount of money stolen from some of the lowest paid workers is simply staggering. Some of the worst offenders are the largest companies in Australia. Woolworths, for example, is currently facing a back pay claim worth $1 billion from five years of wage theft. In 2015, Coles was exposed for underpaying 75,000 workers more than $20 million per year. A report by the ABC revealed that as many as a third of all workers in Australia are not receiving the full superannuation contribution they are entitled to, which amounts to a total of more than $6 billion in stolen wages every year.

https://redflag.org.au/node/6796

Etc, etc. Like the AFL - Australian business is corrupt… and don’t get me started on the farming industry.

6 Likes

Yep, that’s the one. I miss the Butcher, but the dumplings are quality

Yep. My rules for dumplings are:

• The person serving me can’t speak a word of English.
  • Cash only
  • Terribly inconvenient location
  • A4 pieces of paper on the wall which contains menu items written in Chinese.
4 Likes

Nah. Doesn’t happen like that. They employ them on contracts that cite “reasonable overtime” they then work 70-80 hour weeks without breaks.
They don’t complain because the work has to be done.
My son is a Sous chef and has been working these sorts of hours for 15 years in large hotels. He’s been 10 years at his current employer who are one of the biggest employers in Australia.
You would think that they could have an audit of their clocking on and off done by fingerprint but no…
Interestingly he has gone interstate to work for the same company and they are really starting to crack down on excessive hours.
I think it is probably all the hospitality claims going to fair work. They don’t want to get caught up.
Why doesn’t he complain? He wants to keep his job, he likes the work, and he always hopes it will get better.
Maybe it finally will.
Oh and the salary is rubbish.

3 Likes

Go the pierogis.

3 Likes

On a brighter note can anyone recommend a few nice places to eat in Melbourne post next Saturdays game?

Prefer adequately remunerated staff and suitably delicious food.

hamburgler from maccas is my bet

3 Likes

sadly it probably won’t.

i only can speak from security and hospitality stand point, but the main mantra seems to be, they don’t care how they treat workers cos there will always been someone around the corner willing to work for them.
someone else will cope accepting the crap conditions simply out of necessity.

worked at a pokies venue with sports bar and dining area, they’d go through staff like a fat kid at an all you can eat buffet .

a security company i worked for for a bit 5 plus years ago at the time had a file made on them by the governing body, (mind you the governing body is the essentially the actual police) for underpaying, poorly trained guard, unacceptable violence etc etc which they could have been put out of business then, yet they are still operating now.

one key issue for mine is, it’s very hard to find in plain english for us pleb types that states what the minimum wage is, how many hours you should be paid for if you only do part of a shift. esp in hospitality i’ve seen people asked to give up their friday and saturday nights to work, told they’ll get so many hours just for it not to be busy, then they are asked to stick around unpaid to maybe do a 2 hour shift, which if the venue is run appropriately will only pay you for 3 hours.

another problem is, as has been mentioned pretty much can guess 90% of business in those industries do the exact same things, so how do you audit every hospitality business in one state let alone the whole country ?

1 Like

Thing is you have to fight these fights on your own.
In the job he had prior to his current one he was there for 7 years, did his aprenticeship etc another very big employer. He essentially got bullied out of that job, became very stressed, took a month off and resigned.
We then asked for his pro rata long service leave. They fought it every inch of the way, and we eventually won on the basis of constructive dismissal. In other words they had made it so bad that he had no choice but to resign.
Even after they agreed to pay him, individuals in the organisation had some sort of personal objection and it took months to get the money.
It was worth it in the end.
For both the money and to prove to these organisations that they shouldnt be able to get away with this crap.
Another thing is these big hotels have their HR outsourced. Sometimes in a different state, sometimes in a different country.

2 Likes

Catholic priests queuing up for a job as their spokesman?