Cameron Ling

There is no doubting he will be an excellent coach. 

Plenty of doubt that he will be an excellent coach.

From all available evidence at hand he has the skills to be an excellent coach, does not mean he will. Plenty of very fine communicators, with very good interpersonal skills and great football knowledge have not been able to make it as a successful AFL coach.

Case in point: Tim Watson.

So much depends on the position they get, how patient the supporter/membership base is willing to be as this will directly pressure an Club's board immensely, the state of the list when they arrive, the resources the club make available to the coach etc etc.

Being a good bloke, with good people skills and a good footy brain does not equal success as an AFL coach.

In fact Mick Malthouse has gone out of his way to prove you can be a complete arsehat and still be a successful AFL coach.

Clarkeson is another example of the grumpy person who no one expected to make a good coach.

I like Lingy alot. i would like him to stay in a commentary role personally. simply because hes one of the only bearable people on that channel 7 footy team.

if it could be just him, lethal and timmy every week id stop going through tellys.

I like Lingy alot. i would like him to stay in a commentary role personally. simply because hes one of the only bearable people on that channel 7 footy team.

Preferably radio...

I would seek him out as an assistant if we lost one like Goodwin

Yeah i hope we keep Goodwin forever. maybe we can promise him the job after Hirdy much like Mark Harvey under Sheedy

Thats a bit unfair on Voss, he was developing that team quite well and the board sacked him because they thought they were going to land Paul Roos. The Brisbane board destroyed Brisbane more than Voss did

Brendan Fevola
Worked pretty well up here with Brown for a season before Fev lost his ■■■■....again. Crazy Voss wasn't as bad as made out here. I'm not sure he had much to work with post Mathews attempted 4peat. I'm not sure red nut has done any better.

...Rischitelli, Bradshaw, Polec, Docherty, Yeo, Longer, Karnezis etc etc etc

Staker,McGuire,One of the spud clarke brothers

Almost as hyped up as Voss was prior to destroying Brisbane.  Let's hope he is a little better.

Difference being Lingy doesn't seem like an up himself wanker who believes he's ■■■■ doesn't stink. Maybe he's the front runner for the Carlton job, hence Malthouse doesn't like him.

Leigh Matthews has already destroyed it to begin with. then he took off.

3 premierships is hardly destroying it buddy!

yeah because they had such a healthy list after all their premiership players retired. and thanks to those 3 premierships, the clubs doing really well financially at the moment.

Almost as hyped up as Voss was prior to destroying Brisbane.  Let's hope he is a little better.

FFS. Crazy Vossy is a pin headed alpha farkchop. Hardly comparitive.

Would love to make a video montage of great Voss quotes. some of the crap he spouts is just ridiculous.

Ling has a great mix of articulate and competitive, not unlike a Hird or a Buckley.

Yes, this doesn't mean he's a great coach. But If I was to go on vibe, I'd say he's unlikely to screw the pooch.

I didn't say Ling would be as bad a coach, I was saying he is hyped up as badly as Voss was before he has proven anything to anyone.

Not as hyped because Ling will work as an assistant coach before becoming a Head Coach. Voss stepped straight into senior coaching. There lies the difference !

Xavier Clarke....

Would love to make a video montage of great Voss quotes. some of the crap he spouts is just ridiculous.

Ling has a great mix of articulate and competitive, not unlike a Hird or a Buckley.

Yes, this doesn't mean he's a great coach. But If I was to go on vibe, I'd say he's unlikely to screw the pooch.

Voss had proven himself mentally challenged. The fact that his coaching would consist of saying, "play good like I did when Leigh asked me too". was no surprise.

His assumption that he'd be a trade wiz because he was a good midfielder was a delightful surprise.

I can't see how anyone can have heard Voss and Ling talk in the media for a year or two each and say they're equal unknowns.

Intelligence and understanding of the game is surely a better starting point than permanent brain freeze and spouting non-sequitor cliche's in a manner that shows you never really knew what they even meant in the first place.

Voss had proven himself mentally challenged. The fact that his coaching would consist of saying, "play good like I did when Leigh asked me too". was no surprise.

His assumption that he'd be a trade wiz because he was a good midfielder was a delightful surprise.

I can't see how anyone can have heard Voss and Ling talk in the media for a year or two each and say they're equal unknowns.

Intelligence and understanding of the game is surely a better starting point than permanent brain freeze and spouting non-sequitor cliche's in a manner that shows you never really knew what they even meant in the first place.

Again for those who seem to lack the ability to understand what is written I said that he has been hyped up like Voss was so let's hope he is better.  I never said he is the same as Voss in intelligence.

*cough*concessions*cough*painkillers*cough* 

Talking about Voss, fark it annoys me when they do the promo for the insights into the game on SEN and Voss turns up with the costant "one of the most under valued part of the game is the man on the mark...or to those words" Fark up ■■■■

Staker,McGuire,One of the spud clarke brothers
McGuire has actually been good value for them.

Quality post Mr(s) Spirit. I genuinely LdOL!

Can't believe Ling and Voss are being spoken of in the same breath. Ling may turn out to be a sh1thouse coach one day (though I doubt it), but he has at 30 IQ points on Crazy Vossy. 

In-demand Cameron Ling unsure if world of coaching is for him

I'm not one who loves just sitting there in front of a computer screen watching and re-watching and fast forwarding and [looking at] different camera angles
Cameron Ling
THE MUCH sought-after Cameron Ling is unsure whether coaching is for him.
Ling, the former Geelong captain who is fielding a range of coaching offers from AFL clubs, says he doesn't have "a super unbridled passion for coaching" and is doubtful whether he is suited to some aspects of the job.
He told radio 3AW on the weekend those doubts made him question whether he wanted to enter the coaching world.
Melbourne officials sounded out Ling last week over the club's senior assistant coaching position for next season, and North Melbourne and Richmond are also keen on winning his services.
Ling said he could see the positives and negatives of coaching.
"There is a big strain on your time, and that is with any job, so I'm not trying to make excuses here," he said.  
"Is it something that is 20 hours a week sitting on a computer just staring at a screen looking at edits and games and everything like that, and 20 hours of working with players and communicating, or is it five hours of sitting in front of a computer and the rest is working with players?
"I'm not one who loves just sitting there in front of a computer screen watching and re-watching and fast forwarding and [looking at] different camera angles."
But Ling said he was excited and motivated by the prospect of working with young people and "helping them to improve, teaching them a little bit about the game [and] hopefully achieving something special together".
The person appointed as the Demons' senior assistant will be seen as Paul Roos' successor, but it's understood the club will not guarantee an automatic succession when Roos' contract ends.
He is contracted until the end of 2015, with the option of an extra year.
Another candidate for the position at Melbourne, former Sydney Swans skipper and Fremantle assistant coach Brett Kirk, ruled himself out on Sunday, saying he would be remaining with the Dockers.

Roos told SEN last week it was impossible for a person to know whether he wanted to be a senior coach until he had experienced life as an assistant.

"If you are going to do it [coach], you are going to have to get your feet under the desk," he said. 

"Sometimes you can only decide if you want to go to that next level by being an assistant coach and seeing how it works, because it is very, very different to being a player."  

Ling said he was getting closer to making a decision.

"I'm trying to get my mind around exactly what I want to do with my future and once that decision is made then the real specifics of it come in," he said.