Can this 2018 Team be as good as 2000? Nope!

Not there yet, but I want better anyway. I want a 3peat.
We need to win at least one final this season, then try to attract 2 more experienced types into the fold.

Yes, I aim high.

I donā€™t think anyone from 2000 would be a lock to ā€œbeatā€ Joey and certainly not convincingly

2 Likes

I miss the 2000 era

2 Likes

The interesting difference for me is the difference in HB line between the two eras.

2000 Hardwick, Soloman and Wallis - tough, hard as nails bulls used to intimidated and wear down the opposition and stop the ball getting into the forward line.

2018 Saad, Hartley and McKenna - smaller and quicker used to rebound and set up attack.

2 Likes

A HELL of a potent side. Imagine this team running out every week.

(Does one no good to think about itā€¦)

reckon Fletcher could still play today

Pretty unfair to compare a known quantity with a potential outcome. Of course a team that dominated for 3 years is ā€˜betterā€™ than a team that hasnā€™t actually achieved anything yet. But I donā€™t believe that is the spirit of the question. Achievements aside, since one is past, and one is to comeā€¦

The skill and talent is there. Current defense stands out as under-classed - but then again, we keep going on about how the midfield effects the success of both back and forward. Our forwards are at least as skilled. Our mids are too under cooked to tell yet.

1 Like

Personally, would have Barnard in there somewhere. His influence in 2000 was enormous.

Would also have Goddard ahead of Zaharakis and Stringer.

Doubt it, but I am hopeful for a good year all the same.

Yeah, the back line is the glaring difference and the current midfield has question marks compared to the toughness and poise of 2000.

The current team constantly lose to bottom 4 teams.

The 2000 team dismantle bottom 4 sides by 100+ points.

2 Likes

Itā€™s s impossible question to answer thatā€™s why it makes it difficult. You canā€™t compare the team today to a team 20 yearsago

What? The Lord is the reason weā€™ve been garbage for 15 years?

4 Likes

2000 Dustin Fletcher would keep Superman to less than 5 touches.

3 Likes

At this stage No.

Apart from just having the 1 loss from 25 games for the year, only 4 teams got within 5 goals of them and at their brutal best they demolished the defending premiers in a final by 120+ points, as a single season, I donā€™t think weā€™ll see better.

Iā€™m fortunate to be old enough to have seen the side in the 80ā€™s, which was such a pleasure to watch, however as a single season, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a more dominant team.

Someone wrote they underachieved, no one could really disagree with that.

4 Likes

Probably one of the toughest backlines ever assembled, they all loved dishing out the hard stuff whenever possible. 2000 was one of those incredible years that may never be repeated, it was so much fun going to the footy each week knowing that we would most likely win by 10+ goals.

Sounds as if thereā€™s been a thermonuclear explosion in the bin, and the lid was last seen flying above a couple of volcanoes in Indonesia.

8 Likes

Ffs Bacchus

1 Like

I think youā€™re on the right track BF. Looking at the teams I definitely think we can be better thanā€¦last year. 2000 might be a bit of a stretch.

This thread will be the cause of Daniher, Stringer and Zerrett doing knees in Round 1 and us winning 1 game for the year (weā€™ll still beat North)

1 Like