Can this 2018 Team be as good as 2000? Nope!

Only if peedo gets on board.

1 Like

No, the desperate need to hold onto past glories rather than focusing on what needs to be done to create new onesā€¦

You feel one-eyed fans on a footy forum effect the teamā€™s success? Because if itā€™s the club not the fans youā€™re talking about, who exactly do you feel is focusing on the past rather than the future?

1 Like

Broadly no and I do think we now have a club leadership that is looking forward and not dwelling on past glories. But I do think itā€™s an attitude that infected the club for a long time, right up until the end of Sheeds tenure and beyond. The decision to appoint a favourite son as senior coach with no experience and recall another favourite son to stand by his side reeks of it to meā€¦ and irrespective of who you want to blame we all know how that ended.

This is just my opinion of course. And if you want to deal specifically with the OPā€™s question as a hypotheticalā€¦ then absolutely no this current side will not eclipse the most dominant single season side in the history of the game.

1 Like

Pointless exercise.

May as well compare the Coleman sides to the 2018 team.

The game is completely different from 2000 to now. The 2018 team would completely run the 2000 team off their feet. Itā€™s a completely different game.

I cant see who currently would stop Coleman / Hutchinson or Reynolds.

Yes, some players will be fine across eras. But the game is completely different.

Players are bigger, faster and stronger than they ever were.

1 Like

I think it would be closer than most of you blitzers think. Most of those 2000 guys are in their 40s now. Iā€™d still back Hird in for Norm.

7 Likes

Essendon 2000: 84 premiership points, 159.10 %

Essendon 2018*: 0 premiership points, 0.00%

Lets start by actually playing and winning a couple of games before we go comparing the current squad to one of the greatest teams of all time.

3 Likes

My original post was not about comparing the two squads today, but my questions was, can they reach these heights.

I remember being frustrated in 1998 as the team scraped into finals got beaten by Norf, and lost many close games during the year. A bit like us last year.

Our current squad has more potential than any team since 2000, and it is possible that with a good season could develop into a great team.

5 Likes

How about you get to select one players from each locker. Imagine choosing the best number 5?
10 would be easy, but the rest. Geez.

We have reached peak Blitz.

Iā€™d be happy just to win our first final in 14 years.

4 Likes

2000 the most dominant season Iā€™ve ever seen by a team. The team was tough,skillful and feared not once did I go to a game worrying which Essendon will turn up.

2 Likes

I like that these sorts of thoughts are starting to slip back into conversatuon.

I know what Bacchus means.

It feels like there is a pool of guys who, if they want to, could do something special.

3 Likes

Itā€™s probably our most talented sqaud we assembled in nearly a decade. All the pieces seem to be in place just need team now to deliver some success.

Nowhere near, the 2000 team grew up in an era of aggressive no holds barred football and they had a wizard at the peak of his powers in James Hird and a full of steam Sheedy behind the supporter base, they had a ruthlessness every single game and a gear they could go up to that nobody could match. There has been no team ever like them or one since.

34 minutes in deep in the 4th qtr, back from 69 points down, from opposition shot on goal to game winnerā€¦ when you talk about irresistible football, this is what it looks like.

4 Likes

Wowsersā€¦round 1 canā€™t come quick enough.

1 Like

Maths geeks; fun at parties

After we start the game kicking four unanswered goals.