Caracella - coming or staying for 2019?

Haven’t heard this before over the past 15 years :man_facepalming:t2:

You reckon he’d leave if we won a flag?

And, do you think changing a coach straight after a flag would be a ideal timing?

1 Like

If Caracella being lined up for us it’s surely for the top job at some point so there has to be a transition.

And yes I would. Especially if Caracella was the senior assistant pretty much running the show, its as seamless a transition as you could get.

Woosha achieving what he set out to do & was brought in to do for the club. And then back to WA which is apparently where the family wants to be.

In any case it’s all hypotheticals

I’m certainly not suggesting pushing a coach & I rate Woosh very highly. It would be all his choice.

Moving along…

Given how inexperienced Skipworth & Corrigan are he would be a fantastic addition at years end.

Bring him in!

Why would Caracella need to be involved in a succession plan?
He’s been an assistant for a decade now.
He’s the most credentialed assistant coach who is yet to be a senior coach.
Why would he come into a situation that he can’t mould into what he obviously knows is required given his history with so many successful clubs as both a play and assistant coach?
If I were him and was offered a succession plan role, I’d say I’ll ride it out at Richmond for the next few years while challenging for premierships. Get your ■■■■ in order by then and we’ll talk.

1 Like

2019:

Plan A

1. Win flag
    2.Get rid of coach
    3.Success!

Plan B: Not required.

3 Likes

From what i can gather Caracella, has very little sentimental feelings about Essendon?

I’m guessing he wasn’t happy that we traded him.

We’re just one of the clubs he played with.

He’s already been directly involved as player/coach of 1/3 of the competition.

And I wouldn’t blame him at all if he had little feeling for the EFC.

1 Like

Neither has Sheeds…

He won a premiership with us, that should still count. But so did Dimma…

Clearly not just game plan related influence

Vastly different to the Neeld effect!

6 Likes

To be honest, if he was coming I’d much prefer he be doing it because he can see a challenge and thinks it’s something he can meaningfully contribute to, not because there’s a sense or attachment or nostalgia.

Besides which, Caracella’s now played or coached with Essendon, Brisbane, Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond (have I missed anyone?) - fair to say that he’s moved beyond attachments…

I don’t think the idea of a planned handover is implausible at all. Worsfold has pretty much said he’s not a career coach, and home is ultimately WA. He took over a club that was at its nadir. In two years’ time you’d hope we’ll further develop and be very nicely placed - a good point to leave, and a good point to take over. We are gradually improving, but strategy (reputedly Caracella’s strong-suit) still does not appear to something we’re great at. Hardwick is now a premiership coach (potentially two-time…) and Richmond won’t be tipping him out any time soon.

In terms of career progression (if that’s what he seeks), there may be more options with us.

Of course, none of the above may be true at all…

4 Likes

I think his son was at the James Hird Academy thing the other day wasn’t he.

It would not necessarily be a succession plan scenario.

From what I hear from people at Richmond he is incredible at strategy and analysis and that’s what he loves. However, people management and external engagement are not his cup of tea and these are major components of the job of head coach. It’s why I’ve been told he’s unlikely to seek a head coach role - he’d prefer to stick to strategy and analysis as that is what he loves and is good at.

5 Likes

All the better then & a perfect match with Woosh

1 Like

One can only hope your information is reliable.

If I was succession planning I’d say stay at the tigers for one more year then come end of 2019 for the 2020 season as an assistant and take over for 2021.

Give Woosha time to have a crack and Caracella time to assess the list and game for 12 months before taking over.

Right here mate

Really hope we are going hard for him perfect right hand man for Worsfold and if he wants he can coach the side in 2 years

1 Like

So he’s role and strengths are very similar to Harding’s, there would be conflict if both are employed.

Not necessarily. All coaches now would have input on these things but it’s obviously important they can work constructively together to get the best outcome. Having another good coach to assist with strategy could be a good thing as it may lessen the load and might lead to better outcomes.

But then who gets to talk to woosh in the box???