Category B indigenous/multicultural rookies

Draft them ASAP.

ive been part of a 200 point belting before. but cannot fathom 500 points. almost like there was no opposition.

Are they academy players?

1 Like

Assuming perfect accuracy and 30min qtrs, that’s a goal every 90 seconds.

Crazy.

2 Likes

The burning question, plus how old are they? In fact, what was this game/circumstances?

Cunningham, the bloke that kicked 21, has a 13 yo daughter the article says. So, I’m going to say not young enough to recruit him.

1 Like

A mate played a few years suburban footy in Vic with a few guys from Darwin. They can come down and play 2/3 of a season down here, for more money than they’d make in a full season up there.
According to him, NTFL seems to be roughly VAFA premier A standard, a bit above the other Melbourne suburban leagues, but a good way below VFL.

No idea about the standard of Mininera league, but I’m tipping not terrific.

1 Like

Considering the fact that you’d probably never heard of the Mininera League till this report, probably not that good.

North of the Hamilton Highway, up to the Western Highway, east of the Western Border and SW Border league, that’s a lot of small towns.

When I first read (kinda) the report, I was thinking that they might have been a feeder team into the TAC Cup and we were talking about some U16s who were down playing footy to get drafted.

I missed the bit about the daughter, but I don’t think they ever said if it was an adult or junior league or their ages.

The level is about Horsham District League, which is one level down from Wimmera League.
Shane Heard came straight from HDL but I’m pretty sure he’s the only one ever.
I put it in the wrong thread.
I just thought it was a cool story, wasn’t spruiking them as possible players.

1 Like

Most of the talented NT kids will either play TAC via a boarding school or they’ll play as part of NT Thunder in the NEAFL.

There would be a lot of older NT players who come down for the southern season to earn a paycheck playing (and usually starring) for a suburban/country team before heading back up to play in the NTFL/Territory leagues during the summer.

1 Like

lol.
And now it’s on tonight’s Seven News.

Story should have been celebrating the team that won by 500, not focusing on the losers.

What have we become.

5 Likes

people like watching negative news stories not positive ones.

thats why i hardly bother watching the news.

3 Likes

Can’t agree. Winning by 500 points is meaningless unless you have good opposition, or at least, meaningful opposition.

I remember 10 years or so ago, @benfti was talking up an indigenous guy because he’d kicked about 15 goals in a school game. I saw him in a TAC semi-final and was fundamentally unimpressed. The school game could easily have been like the Teachers v Students game in The Meaning of Life. You need to know what the opposition is like. It could have been Assumption in which case you’d be mightily impressed, but if it’s Upper Gumbukta West Middle School with 14 players, you go “whoop-de-do”. The guy did get drafted as a rookie by Freo and got one game the day they left out 12 players or so, prompting the pre-finals bye.

I would grudgingly accept a 500 point win over Gold Coast.

5 Likes

Ross macquillan (20) is back in OZ as our preferred irish catb rookie.
So they say in an AFL article from 10 days ago.
Apparently he has even “nominated” us !
So I would expect an imminent announcement from the club.

4 Likes

“So Conor, which AFL club do u think manages homesickness best?”

“Sorry Ross can I call u back, I’m just having a cup of tea with me Ma and Da…”

3 Likes

Big Kudos for Dodoro, just hope he can wait the 12 months/2 years it will take to bed down the AFL rules gameplan, learn skills of game etc, like most irishmen he will probably be a prolific kick.

I for one am looking forward to seeing McQuillan sending opponents to the shops for a battered sausage.

6 Likes