Celebrity Deaths 2017

You need to watch something other than Neighbours.

j/k!

1 Like

As a punk fan I never really took to Husker Du. ducking

I was pretty much the same. I think I said in another thread a while back that I didnā€™t get what made them so seminal and respected. I had to work really hard to see what makes Zen Arcade so good.
Theyā€™re not in my top faves but I dig them a lot and appreciate their work. Actually Iā€™m a massive fan of Sugarā€™s ā€œCopper Blueā€, easily one of the best indie rock records of the 90s and Bob Mouldā€™s high point for mine.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve always loved Husker Du especially after I first heard Zen Arcade as a teenager in the 90ā€™s but since then itā€™s become more than just that. Itā€™s the legacy they left and how they seemed to play a pretty big part in bridging the mid 80ā€™s with the explosion of the early 90ā€™s. Just a combination of refining edgy punk to something resembling pop and keeping the raw energy, especially live. Five years after they were deemed sellouts by their old fanbase for signing with Warner Bros, another trio would knock Michael Jackson off the number one spot on the charts. Even after their early releases, no band before Husker Du sounded like Husker Du but afterwardsā€¦

Just listen to first 30 seconds these two songs and youā€™ll hear it, the guitar sound and riff.

ā€¦and 1990

Liking them is purely a subjective thing, so theres absolutely no shame in not liking them at all, or not getting the hype. :slight_smile: They played a pretty big role in shaping things to come and thatā€™s cos they were a great musos who amongst a few others trailblazed, pushed themselves and anyone denying them of that would be foolish.

For 20 years, I thought The Fall was the biggest wankfest band and then one day it just somehow clicked and I couldnā€™t get enough of them, they left me a massive back catalogue to explore. Likewise Husker Du have a healthy back catalogue to explore if it does somehow work out.

3 Likes

Yeah, I get the influence thing. It just does nothing for me on its own.

Funny you mention The Fall, theyā€™ve been my 2017 try-to-make-sense-of band. Anyway, maybe time to take this to one of the music threads!

1 Like

Dutchy Holland died. Cleaned up the West Indies at the SCG when they were at their peak in 1984.

1 Like

I wish Bobby had sorted out the humanoids on this site before leaving us.

He was far from young in that test but Iā€™d imagine still too young to die.

Dutchy Holland and Murray Bennett - the spin twins.

1 Like

I recall when he was selected. Remembering this was a time before spinners were cool. I couldnā€™t believe it. I thought the Windies were a genuine chance to score 1000+ runs in a day if that dork bowls at them. He looked a million years old. Well, showed this then 13 year old I knew bugger all about bowling. Turns out he was only any good at the SCG but it didnā€™t matter. The score card doesnā€™t lie.

2 Likes

Holland, Oā€™keefe, Taylor and May. Aside from the odd cameo I grew up thinking spin was a mugā€™s game. Dutchy was the stand out on that Windies series though.

I think Dutchy dropped the easiest outfield catch Iā€™ve ever seen. You sat there wondering how he could have dropped it and looked for excuses. I came up with bupkus. He was just one of those guys who could perform just one of the three skills of cricket.

The hardest chin in the business.

Here, kitty. Here kitty, kitty kitty.

Bernie Casey, arguably best known from Iā€™m Gonna Git You Sucka died today aged 78.

Iā€™m guessing gold chain addiction eventually took him?

1 Like

He fought long and hard.