Celebrity Deaths 2019

Always loved ‘Walk on Gilded Splinters’ and his appearance on ‘The Last Waltz’ was a highlight.

2 Likes

Very cool guy.

The last album of his l bought was Television from 1994. Here is the title track, it is a pretty good example of is style.

This album established him on the fringes of rock…

Then there is little gem… Such a Night, live

1 Like

Cheers, CJ. Does anyone else feel a little funny “liking” a thread announcing somebody’s death?

1 Like

Wouldn’t have thought you would find it funny at all considering you have OBIT in your user name.

3 Likes

V. Good

Why are you all talking about MASH?

That show finished when I was only a few months old. However my old man was such a big fan he always made us watch the re-runs, particularly when I was a teenager.

I think it’s absolutely outstanding. There are down eps sure, but the writing is sharp, the humour was so well written and the poignant parts were fantastic. I challenge anyone to watch the final episode and not tear up about three or four times.

As an aside, I have a old khaki t-shirt with the Red Cross and 4077 printed across it and I have never got so many compliments about an item of clothing ever.

5 Likes

Sure, but context, please: it was a prime time sitcom from the 70s.

It was up against stuff like Sanford and Son and All In the Family.

You can be a lot more pointed in a novel or movie. There’s only so much politics the format can handle.

Mash owed a hell of a lot to Catch 22. My favorite novel and movie. Probably not the place for this discussion however.

RIP Dr.John.

1 Like

I can agree with that much.

1 Like

The finale of the TV MASH features the main character breaking down in a mental institution because of an incident where he ordered a Korean woman to smother her own baby to death.

That’s mush alright!

Cheap laughs.

2 Likes

Oh hell yes. The best part was when the baby died. LOL

It was just a chicken. It was just a chicken. It was just a chicken…

The “We Didn’t Start The Fire” Longevity Infographic

Ben ZottoMay 15

Thirty years on, four figures from Billy Joel’s history-a-thon are still with us.

All I ever really knew about Doris Day was that she was right after Harry Truman in the opening lyric of Billy Joel’s 1989 laundry list blitz “ We Didn’t Start The Fire ”. So when I saw the news that she died this week at the remarkable age of 97, I was a bit surprised to realize that she had still been with us. (Sorry Doris!!)

I wondered: was anyone else from the song still around? After all, most of the content was anchored in the 1950s, and the song itself is three decades old (!) this year. It turns out, Doris Day was a member of a shrinking club, but there remain four named people who are still, thankfully, with us.

Here is a timeline chart of the lives of every named person in the song’s lyric, presented in order of their mention, as of May 2019 :

The list is limited to the specific figures referenced by name. Birth and death dates from Wikipedia. The release of the song itself is represented by the vertical black bar at 1989. Chart © Ben Zotto 2019.

All hail the blessed longevity of genuine treasures Chubby Checker , Bob Dylan , and Brigitte Bardot ! Somewhat less of an enthusiastic shout-out to Bernie Goetz , the NYC subway vigilante from the 1980s. :grimacing:

Honorable mention goes to Queen Elizabeth II , not quite name checked but referenced via “England’s got a new queen” — on the throne since 1952!

Fun Fact : From Sally Ride’s birth on May 26, 1951, until George Santayana’s death at 88 the following September 26 (1952), all of the people in the chart above were alive simultaneously. Billy Joel was a toddler then.

P.S. Billy really phoned it in after writing detailed verses covering the 1950s and early 60s; the whole of the 70s is just two lines and then a smattering of 80s references and he’s out. Rock and roller cola wars, I can’t take it anymore!

4 Likes

Just read that Derrick ‘Sleezy D’ Harris passed away. For those of you who like acid house, this is a banging track of his. @Hesonlygotaleftfoot @Preliminary_Point2

1 Like

RIP in peace.

But that’s a no from me. :wink:

4 Likes

You really want him to be at peace, don’t you? :wink:

1 Like

ATM Machine…

1 Like

That’s a stiff no, man.