Celebrity Deaths 2020

The best rapper in the world is white

Len Deighton had his good ones tooā€¦to go along with some brilliant war books, like Fighter, Bomber, Goodbye Mickey Mouse and Blitzkrieg. A couple are novels, a couple non-fiction to go along with his penchant for French cookery.

Iā€™m right into the wartime/Cold War stuff recently. Just read A Small Death in Lisbon by Robert Wilson, who also wrote the FalcĆ³n novels set in Seville.

3 Likes

All true but almost nothing is as white as the style of country that C Pride engaged in.

Speaking of unusual musical race cross-overs, is there any genre whiter than punk/hard core? No one must have told Bad Brainsā€¦

Bad Brains

1 Like

Len Deightonā€™s ā€œSamsonā€ series (game, set, match; hook, line, sinker; faith, hope, charity) are terrific, and I love them. But they are more pulp fiction than le Carreā€™s work.
I also like Deightonā€™s Winter - which gave a background to the Samson series.
Bomber was excellent too.

1 Like

I hope you donā€™t mean Eminem?

He hasnā€™t released a decent album for almost two decades.

Heā€™s talking about Vanilla Ice of courseā€¦

7 Likes

I agree that thereā€™s likely to be another. He was very prolific and Iā€™m sure he was pounding the keyboard till the day he keeled over. There are writers who have to force themselves to write, and others who canā€™t stop themselves. Le CarrĆ© was one of the latter.

Personally I thought his novels went down a notch after the Wall fell, and having gone down that notch settled into a gradual decline. You mentioned A Legacy of Spies. I thought it was very disappointing. Basically the whole thing was a retelling of The Spy Who Came in from the Cold which added precisely zero to the original. Iā€™ve read Agents Running in the Field and had forgotten it the day after I finished it. The Night Manager was good, but an unimaginably wealthy international arms dealer is not exactly a difficult target.

2 Likes

Fair point, heā€™s still got street cred.

Yes, sorry should have used past tense. At the time he was the best rapper. Was also the same time the best golfer was black

1 Like

Tinker Tailor and Smileyā€™s People are available on Amazon Prime.

The film quality is showing its age, but I suppose weā€™re lucky they kept it. The BBC dumped or copied over heaps of video of stuff from the sixties and seventies like The Frost Report, Monty Python preceders, The Likely Lads, Z Cars, Not Only But Also.

1 Like

Weā€™ve got the DVDs. They are still great. Smileyā€™s People is actually better than I remembered it. I watched it not long ago. And Alec Guinness was born to be Smiley, despite being far too tall and not fat enough. Gary Oldman in that ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  movie was a travesty.

1 Like

Guinness did self-effacing beautifully. And the movie just had to have a gay character, didnā€™t it?

Not many current actors self-efface as well. Tom Hanks is pretty good at it. All the Hanks-haters can kiss my derriĆØre.

1 Like

Yeah no one self-effaces like Tom Hanks self-effaces.

9 Likes

Iā€™ve never seen that. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

Gerard Houllier, the French coach who won the UEFA Cup, FA Cup and League Cup treble with Liverpool, has died aged 73.

Black, Disco, Cowboys. Ticks all the boxes.

1 Like

Thatā€™s great @GRR. I have not seen it before either. Deserves to be posted in another thread also for more to see.

1 Like

Actor Jeremy Bulloch, who played Boba Fett in the original Star Wars trilogy, has died aged 75.

A statement on Bullochā€™s website said he died peacefully in a London hospital on Thursday local time following health complications, including several years living with Parkinsonā€™s disease.