Celebrity Deaths 2020

Former Deputy PM Doug Anthony passed away at 90

Clint Eastwood most be getting close

A lot of people must be

1 Like
9 Likes

He was Deputy PM but had one staffer in his office . You could walk across from Departments, Up the steps of the Old House, first door on the left, zero security.
The rest of his staffers were back in the electorates . Granted the old House was cramped, but he would talk direct to public servants at all levels and would come over to the Department for drinks etc.
Those were the days when Ministers listened to advice from public servants ( even if they didnā€™t always follow it - you knew where you stood)

4 Likes

Doug spoke to my father at my great uncleā€™s funeral. (My uncle had served in parliament with Doug and his father.) He was warm and generous exactly as his public image.

An enduring summer memory is Doug Anthony, acting prime minister, running the country from his caravan at the beach.

4 Likes

Some people will be unkind enough to call Chad & Jeremy down market version of the more well known Peter Gordon, but this track proves otherwise.

Jim Graham, ABC radio newsreader in Victoria, has died of a heart attack, aged 63. Originally from the Bendigo area, he was a lovely, kind, generous man, and had an incredibly beautiful voice, described in his ABC obituary (below) as ā€œbaritoneā€. It was deeper than that ā€” a real bass-baritone ā€”and full of character with it. I considered him a personal friend. His loss is tragic.

EDIT: And hereā€™s a link to the ABCTV News bulletin from Tuesday 22 December. Tamara Oudyn speaks a short eulogy for Jim Graham at the end of the news ā€“ starting at 29m18.

11 Likes

A very familiar voice indeed. Sorry to hear the sad news, perce.

3 Likes

Leslie West, singer and guitarist of Mountain passed away @ 75.
ā€œMississippi Queenā€ is still one a hell of a song for your resume. Incendiary, massive tone, and a killer 70ā€™s hard rock riff. RIP

1 Like

This is a sad day. Leslie West was a true guitar giant. He will always be remembered for Mississippi Queen, but he did more, much more that is worth noting. The following are a few great Leslie West moments. The first track was my all time favourite live performance for a few decades.

This second track is from the debut effort of West, Bruce & Liang, he makes playing sound effortless.

Finally, there is Theme for An imaginary Western, also off Mountain Climbing, but also on Woodstock Live Volume 2.

Their set at Woodstock is pretty epic.

1 Like

N. Guy Smith, writer of cheesey horror novels died on Christmas eve. His books were always silly fun. RIP

l read somewhere recently that it was about their second ever public gig. Impressive near debut.

1 Like

George Blake, the spy who got out of the cold of Wormwood Scrubs to Moscow

1 Like

Read a couple of the obits. Interesting fellow but fair to say that there are dozens of families of former spies who wonā€™t be mourning his passing.

1 Like
3 Likes

RIP Dawn Wells (aka Mary Ann of Gilliganā€™s Island). Such an adored iconic figure of 60ā€™s TV and beyond. She fluttered the heart of many a young man, and forever affiliated with the perfect dynamic duo.

Very sad news

11 Likes

Covid. What a shame. Mary Ann was iconic.

2 Likes

As were her coconut, cream pies.

3 Likes