Celebrity deaths 2021

Another exception here.

count me in as well or out that isā€¦the movies series that i have never watched well that would shock the majority on hereā€¦

ill just say not 1 single minute of star warsā€¦i shall stop there

1 Like

Me neither

Havenā€™t seen it either.

I didnā€™t realise so many people could be alive at once with not a heart between them

4 Likes

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night.

Great actor.

RIP Christopher Plummer

9 Likes

Just never got into musicals as a kid. While l was able to avoid the TSOM, l my luck ran out when Mary Poppins hit town. l got dragged along to it, despite my protests. I didnā€™t mind it, but it didnā€™t change my mind regarding musicals.

Almost forgot Plummer was also good in The Battle of Britain.

He was really good in the third banana role in The Insider as well. Really excellent

Have not ever seen it either and we have been to nearly all the places where it was filmed dozens as times. My wife has seen it hundreds of times and has great delight in reliving the movie at the various locations despite me not having a clue about it

He was in a great little film in 1978 called The Silent Partner, with Elliot Gould and Susannah York. He was a bank robber and Elliot Gould played a teller at a bank, as did Susannah York. It has a very neat plot and Christopher Plummer played a really scary villain. Iā€™d forgotten about it until Mrs S just reminded me.

2 Likes

Youā€™ve been to the place it was filmed and not watched it?? This is another level!

1 Like

Understandable why people may not have seen it, but why would you write it off as will never see it?

If that is directed in my direction, it is because l know enough of the story to say l donā€™t need to know anymore about it, and as l have already explained, l am not interested in many musicals.

1 Like

Isnā€™t it broadly agreed that Monopoly is one of the worst games ever (especially since 99% of people donā€™t play it per the rules)?

Yep, my wife was singing and acting out parts at various locations and explaining to me about the movie but I still havenā€™t seen it. We have been to Salzburg probably a dozen times too :joy:

2 Likes

I knew someone said it, didnā€™t know who so didnā€™t quote the post (too lazy to check as well)

Thatā€™s fair enough. I hate musicals too but because we were going to Salzburg my wife made me watch it, canā€™t say I regretted it either. Loved the movie

2 Likes

I watched it in 2016 before we were heading to Austria. My wife said to watch it because we are doing the sound of music tour so Iā€™m like ā€œwhy not?ā€

When I first watched it I said ā€œgeez, you can tell thatā€™s done on a stageā€ (referring the salzburg backdrop with the mountains and fields)
She says ā€œnah, thatā€™s actually on location, that is how it looksā€. After 20 minutes of heated argument I said ā€œfine, weā€™ll just have to wait and seeā€

When we went to Salzburg I said there is not a camera in the world that can capture the sheer beauty of the town. No camera could do it justice, it is the most picturesque city I have ever seen in my life.

8 Likes

A lot of whether youā€™ve seen these blockbuster/cultural touchstone films comes back to context.
I donā€™t think itā€™s any great claim to say you havenā€™t seen a Star Wars film of you were born in 1979, for example.

Pretty much before I was ten there were two films the wim kids were allowed to stay up late to watch.
The Wizard of Oz and The Sound of Music.

I guess thereā€™s a strong chance I still would have caught up with Sound of Music on video later, in the same way as I sought out Citizen Kane and African Queen.
But maybe not.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know how youā€™ve managed to avoid it all these years Captain Jack. Iā€™m sure itā€™s on every second week on every viewing platform available.

The reason itā€™s on so often is that itā€™s a good movie.

I was born in the early 80s, and I must have seen it what, fifteen times probably? Maybe more.

Wonderful movie that my parents showed me (to expand my horizons), and one I will definitely show my children when theyā€™re old enough that I can tell them what a Nazi is!

1 Like