Celebrity Deaths 2023

:frowning_face:

P.S. Without Sheiky Baby, we can now shut down Twitter.

3 Likes

Astrud Gilberto, the girl from Ipanema. Blame it on the bossa nova.

Can’t stand that song, it has been done to death with so many covers. Held up as the greatest piece of Brazilian music, but is something of an anthem for admirers of under age girls. The girl from Ipanema was 14. I prefer African music to South American.

The song was inspired by siting at a bar on the beach watching the girls go by. I’ve been to that bar. Allegedly the lyrics were written at the bar. It’s not her only song.
Brazilian music is complex and bossa nova is one part, with strong links with jazz. Astrud herself cooperated with the likes of Getz, Byrd and did a great song with Chet Baker.
I have a few discs of Brazilian music, including historical, with some African elements fused with old Portuguese.

Rale Rasic, former Socceroos coach and coach of at least a dozen clubs in Australia has passed away aged 87. Absolute legend in Australian soccer and will be missed greatly

12 Likes

Carlos Gardel will haunt you the rest of your days.

Pffft! Never heard of him.

What did you think of the music in the Black Orpheus film?

My vote goes to…

6 Likes

I have never seen that movie.

Getz and Gilberto on Desafinado ain’t half bad, along with Astrud later singing it with Chet Baker on trumpet.

Louis Bonfa and Jobim were responsible for most of the music, the songs have become standard jazz classics.
The 1959 film itself , against the black drop of Carnival, is worth viewing. Black Brazilians .

1 Like

@Captain_Jack will get the Tijuana Brass after this.

The only African music I’ve heard means I’d listen to Latin music overwhelmingly over African.

3 Likes

African slave music influence in Cuban and Brazilian music. African influence in US blues and jazz, travelled across the Atlantic to the Animals, Rolling Stones and Dusty Springfield.
In Australia , trad jazz, white flowers, black roots from connections with US Black musicians,
Out of Africa.
Allegedly the brass in African music came from the Missionaries introducing the instruments.

I like Herb Alpert, since he is Mexican.

1 Like

I like that song, but didn’t realise that…

1 Like

The Iron Sheik was 81???

1 Like

Herb Alpert, born in LA, the son of Jewish migrants from Ukraine and Romania, American citizen.

1 Like

Try some Malian music. Oumou Sangare, Ali Farka Toure and Mah Damba for instance.

4 Likes

Congolese music is not to be sniffed at.

2 Likes