Changes for annual Dreamtime bloodbath

Cox is injured.

Not gonna lie. Kind of enjoying that Dreamtime bloodbath over took the initial changes thread.

In: Tex, Baldwin, Waterman
Out: Shiel, Caldwell (inj), Francis (Medic sub)

Bryan stays. Hobbs and Perkins get some time in the middle. We’ll likely get beat so just…

#Playthekids and play with freedom. Ditch this godforsaken system and protect the corridor with a passion.

1 Like

Its a good title !

ouch. sorry to hear this Judd.

Caldwell will struggle to get up with his ac / shoulder soreness

Play Walla. He’s not going to improve in the VFL team & he’s always a chance to do something really special. With the ball in hand he’s always a real threat.

3 Likes

It’s not going to matter,because Tigers run hard both ways and go in hard.We don’t like teams that do that.Pink Marshmallows

There is no hope in hell we’ll beat the Tigers. If we get within 70 points we’ll be lucky based purely on last Saturday night’s putrid performance. Injuries are devastating without Jones, Caldwell, Stringer, Tippa, Langford, Cox, Stewart, Phillips, Snelling, Smith , all being unavailable. Take TEN of a team’s top players out of any AFL side and see what happens. We know all clubs have injuries, but ten of probably the best players we can put on the ground are missing, it hurts.
But injuries are part of the excuse. What is lacking is the style of play we saw in the fourth quarter of the Hawks’ game. At three quarter time I had Essendon down for another loss. Surprise, surprise Essendon really turned it on and looked like a team hungry for success. What happened on Saturday night? Are the Swans that good they made Essendon look stupid? Thirty tackles for the whole game. Against the Hawks, 24 in the 4th. quarter.
So our team v Tigers given that Caldwell (and Cox) are out:
McGrath Reid Laverde
Hind Ridley Redman
Durham Kelly Hobbs
Phillips Merrett Parish
Perkins Bryan Baldwin
Guelfi Wright Waterman

Cuttler, Heppell, Draper, Lord
Med. sub. Tippa

IN: Phillips, Lord, Baldwin, Waterman

OUT: Shiel. Caldwell (injured), Francis

RATIONALE FOR SELECTIONS

Tippa as medical sub because it is the Dreamtime Game and also, he designed the Essendon jumper. If he is required he would have a go, more than Shiel and Francis would.

Bryan fills the CHF. He is a very good mark and kick. Although not a natural CHF, his height along with Wright and Baldwin gives us the benefit of three tall forwards testing the Tigers’ backline.
Kelly adds a bit of height and muscle in the centre replacing the poor form of Shiel. I don’t think moving Kelly out of the backline affects the effectiveness of the six I’ve named.
Phillips is the most experienced ruckman on the Essendon list. Draper is the second ruck and will learn from watching Phillips up against Nankervis.
Francis is a problem. Shown in the past much talent, but just doesn’t seem to be able to recapture any continuity in his game whether as a backman or a forward. I think if he could build up the petrol in the tank, he could make an exceptional centreman. He has the height, weight and strength to take on that role. Pity he has a form problem as he might be shown the door come year’s end.

If you’re gonna pick Lord you may as well pick Wanganeen

2 Likes

3 Ruckmen aye ?

@Windy_Dill is going to have conniptions.

I like big Phillips in the team, particularly against big physical ruckmen.

Not sure the divide in the club can be fixed without some dramatic movements in personnel. But, I don’t think any player of EFC has ever been as humiliated on the ground as Shiel.
I’d give him the opportunity to restore some of his lost respect.

Picking tippa would be the perfect encapsulation of where our club is at.

1 Like

Silly me. Probably our best and most confident player is Nic Martin. Of course he is picked. Lord out, Waterman to the bench, Baldwin to forward pocket, Martin to half forward flank. Sorry Nic. A player of your calibre is what this side needs here and now.

In : tackling and hard running
Out: :poop: Essendon currently calls “football”

Haven’t cared about a result deeply since it was clear we weren’t up to the standard set by Geelong, Brisbane and Melbourne.

I want a couple of wins, good games by young players and a great draft hand. Come at me.