Changes for Essendon V. Freo

Stringer had strained his hamstring. Out for 3-4 weeks.

Do we bring in Waterman? Or play Langford as a permanent forward?

Both

6 Likes

I’m not concerned with our younger players being tired. Keep playing them, even if it means only 60% game time.

1 Like

Yes need to keep playing them, but not at expense of soft tissue injuries.

That’s why you limit their game time.

Doesn’t work like that, everyone else playing will suffer because of it. Better to just rest them for a week

Somebody else has to pick up that slack! What I say is that is a fine balancing act.

Actually worried about this game.

We like to play a fast exciting brand of footy Freo will make it into an ugly/defensive scrap

We need to come flying out of the blocks nice 5 goal lead into qrt time snuff out any chance of Freo getting a win on the road

Spot on Lloyd

Lloyd said it was crucial his former club beat a struggling Fremantle at home this weekend to ensure they notched up the results their performances under new coach Ben Rutten deserved.

“They’re having one of those seasons where they’re in games but can’t win them," he said.

“They have Fremantle at Marvel Stadium this week and to frank their form they must win that one.”

2 Likes

Langford forward for a full game, Waterman getting over his ankle, fitness test??
Maybe due to Zaka’s limited game time in past 3 weeks Cahill. He has been getting impressive minutes through the midfield and accumulating ball inside/outside contest with cleaner hands than early in year. I wouldn’t mind him playing against Freo and North in midfield roles.

Ins Guelfi Cahill
Outs Stewart Stringer

1 Like

That’s the problem
Because we have no real big hard bodies mids doing the crash and bash other lighter smaller players who are not built for that need to do it and we get so many soft tissue injuries .
It’s such a concern. Can’t rely on Parish to do it every week although he he not really big either. This problem has lingered since we lost Jobe Watson.

Not sure what changes Truck might swing vs Freo apart from the obvious injuries. But if we persevere with Langford then he must play forward. Why? Because in footballer terms he’s a receiver and not a provider … he freezes with ball in hand from HB to the wing. He’s decent when the ball is presented and he’s a chance at goal. No pressure in his mind. Its clear and simple its time we played him seriously up there… Phillips btw was a Bomber lion vs Giants. He won the ruck and improves each game. Really impressed.

We’ve all sprayed our thoughts on yet another near miss. Its painful atm but we’re going the right way with the kids.The forwards though must get their act together and lead … constantly and without bumping into each other. Run the other lot ragged and as far as possible play in front the moment the play heads our way.

It’ll click soon and I always think we’ll win of course … but I do think we can beat Freo. Surely

3 Likes

Let’s put Langford on Fyfe simply so we can stop any pre season commentary from the club and supporters about his he’s “trying to be like him”

Ones like Cheech & Chong in the contest, the other is like Riggs from Lethal Weapon 1 in it; a mad man.

3 Likes

If nothing else, the stoned one is a far better shot for goal than Fyfe :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That was five years ago.

2 Likes

IN - BIG THICC CHUNGUS

4 Likes

This has been the best team selection year for almost a decade for me. I love that Truck has a clear mind on which approx. 25 players will bring future success and will persist with building this group even if a few have 1-2 bad games. He takes out emotion from one games result and consistently thinks forward… he knows continuity of a core young group will be the success. Still some tinkering to be done in upcoming draft with better ball use players but i fully appreciate his calm and methodic approach this year. All this continuity and match day experience with the young group will pay dividends

37 Likes

In - Ambrose tagging Fyfe

2 Likes

Zaka has been sub 3 games and came on in 1 game and we won. can hardly fault his 100% winning record in 2021. Its not like he isn’t fit, he is ready to go.

2 Likes

Confidence is not all he needs. Body on body strength is what he needs if he’s going to play as a key back, and he’s never had it. Either play him forward where he can run and present, or don’t play him at all.

Jesus Matthew Lloyd is insufferable as a media guy.

5 Likes