Changes for GWS - desperately seeking transition

Apologies! It was meant more of a “Weird. They didn’t comment on Fantasia even though there’s speculation on his availability” statement rather than a question!!

1 Like

HAHA FUNNY JOKE

You took them pills aye?

I’d say no changes this week.

If Guelfi isn’t fit then it looks like Gleeson

Please no Myers or Baguley

1 Like

As the thread title says, transition was the issue. With our line breakers down we barely got it out of back half.

According to CD, Begley and Lav were our two best players. While McKernan and Fantasia contributed less than Guelfi. The flip side of line breaking is marks, particularly hit up leads in transition.

Brown had 7, Lav and Begs 5 a piece (Lav looked scary good for a quarter). Langford and Fantasia managed 3, while Tip and Smack managed 1.

What to do?

A) Embrace the small ball. Stringer to replace Smack. If we get pinned down, hit up leads or a chaos ball - the long bomb is banned.

B) Find a better big man. Zlarke is bush league but at least is a genuine ruckman and should provide a break for a busted up Belly.

Is there any way of suppressing one selfs notifications. I sometimes really annoy me!

Stringer’s been ruled out.

Get them in: Essendon’s VFL side had a number of strong performers over the weekend. Aaron Francis kicked four goals in an impressive showing, while Will Snelling booted three goals and could press for selection, particularly given Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti 's inconsistent form at AFL level.

Under the pump: After his early concussion last week, Matt Guelfi will be carefully monitored this week. He has passed his concussion test but is still sore so could be touch-and-go to face the Giants on Thursday night.

Medical room: Jake Stringer will miss as he continues to nurse a lower leg injury he suffered against Hawthorn in round 13. Orazio Fantasia is also sore so will be in some doubt as he continues to pick up some injury niggles this year.

Verdict: Snelling, the mid-season draft addition at Essendon, could be in line for his Bombers debut, particularly if Fantasia doesn’t get up for the Giants. – Callum Twomey

Thats poor from Call Twomey didnt note the short turn around and which players were rested in the second half in the VFL.

2 Likes

Probably trying to block it from his memory like the rest of us gloomers

1 Like

Cos then he gets to write a second article bout how Bags shouldn’t have been picked on form, to stir up the mouth breathers.

And you just know they’ll lap it up

1 Like

Are we going to play Zac Clarke as well as Tommy? Mumford is a bit of a brute, but 2 ruckman might be able to curb his influence if they each spend time jumping into him.

Not sure we have all recovered from the SCG nightmare

2 Likes

You need to be fit and a good Runner to play afl, like Mark Baguley

I think the buzz of playing AFL will give him a bit more pep in his step. Onballer he’ll struggle. But playing as an “impact player” in the forward pocket should be doable. The highly informed VFLers on here (@theDJR) can give a call as to whether he is close or still away off playing AFL.

I have seen Mozzie play about 4 times. He is great but I don’t think he is fit enough for AFL yet. I would try Snelling as a small forward / in the Smith role first tbh.

Looking at the VFL player report, they are not anticipating an immediate debut for Mozzie either.

By contrast this is what they say about Snelling, who to my eyes looks like a classic natural footy player clean, agile fearless.

Will Snelling

Stats: 28 disposals, five marks, eight tackles, three goals

From the coach: I thought this was Will’s best game for the club so far. He played probably 50-50 forward and mid, and had great impact forward. He used his smarts and ground-level pressure to kick three goals, and laid eight tackles as well which is terrific and something he’s been renowned for. His pressure around the ball is something we want him to bring every week. He also found himself with 28 disposals and I thought his game was super, both when he was around the ball and being able to transition out, but also when he was forward and being at the feet of the big guys. Hopefully he starts knocking the door down for AFL selection, but he’s built really nicely since he’s been at the club.

1 Like

Let’s see if we learned anything. If Guelfi is still sore, let’s give him a rest instead of playing him. Let’s do something different to what we usually do.

3 Likes

Exactly, no good having a team full of quick smaller players if you can’t apply pressure.

Ours was non existant we let a tall, slow, great marking side play exactly how they wanted. There was zero intensity from our players for most of the match.

I can take loosing if all our players have given 100%. But we where a team going through the motions for most of that game.

Very few wanted to do the hard things. We are badly missing Devon Smith he sets the standards that all the others should follow. He is a great leader in this regard.

1 Like

IMG_3287

6 Likes

Mynott should be right up there too. He has looked the goods in every game I’ve watched.