Changes for the Blues

What - Do you think defenders run away from their forwards - What a bizarre post !

What - you don’t think there’s a difference between defending and tagging? - What a bizarre post!

A defender should always play as tight as possible on their forward - Sometimes forwards beat defenders.

Yeah, that was my point?

Read the article on the Facebook page. EFC seemed to indicate that by Beveridge moving JJ forward, Worsfold couldn’t tag him. I assumed that you could play tightly on someone no matter where they played.

Remember Libba and Knights bloodied image?
That’s tagging.
Remember Ling? That’s a tagger.
Remember Kirk? That’s a tagger.
Taggers are defenders; defenders are not necessarily taggers
There is a difference and it’s not subtle.

granted it was only one game that was televised.

but i was surprised the other week when for the majority of the day our vfl midfield comprised howlett, hocking and stanton.

we are crying out for development of midfielders, and supposedly claim there’s none coming through, and the only one given substantial gametime in there was langford.

I get it’s a fine line between needing to develop and develop a winning mentality and all that, but to me it seemed odd youngsters weren’t pushed through there more for larger chunks of the match.

Racist.

…and it’s “must have”.

1 Like

That old chestnut.

2 Likes

The only decent thing Trav did last week was kick that goal and even that he should have centered to Stewart in the goal square.

4 Likes

Agree with the ins, but would consider dropping / resting Colyer and playing LaVerde higher up the ground instead.

And the Crows taggers in the seniors are?
Scott Thompson?

1 Like

Really don’t see the point of dropping Laverde, so agree with this.

Saturday 5 August
SummaryMin 8 Max 15 Shower or two.Possible rainfall: 0 to 2 mm Chance of any rain: 50%
Melbourne area
Partly cloudy. Medium (50%) chance of showers. Winds northerly 25 to 35 km/h turning northwesterly 25 to 40 km/h during the morning.

Couldn’t give a fark what the weather is going to be on Saturday. If we lose to Carlton for a 2nd time this year due to a few showers then we are kidding ourselves. Waste of time and effort worrying about things we can’t control.

1 Like

Aceman, Hurls is so much the key to our team structure, they might even play him on a walking frame.
Having said that, he might be playing sore, and they clearly have reduced his contact during the week, and are probably doing extra recovery on him right now.

The guy was clearly our best player ( leaving aside Joe superstar, who is basically in orbit) 30 disposals, 620 metres gained, 13 marks, incl game high intercept marks as a key defender. The rest of our defence were essentially a rabble, with McKenna being the best of the rest.

The team trained in the rain last Wednesday. After the last loss to Carlton, surely they would have done a refresher course in how to play when its wet.

Looking at the small defenders performances over the last 3 weeks its pretty clear we have to rest at least one of them. Gleeson, McGrath and Kelly have dropped off. McGrath is a first year player, Gleeson may be sore, and Kelly needs a Nanna nap.

Hurls is a rugged, physical player , but he needs Ambrose to bring a bit more physicality in defence.
Defence
In Dea, Ambrose, out McGrath, Kelly ( rested)
Forwards.
Out : Laverde, In Green ( team balance)

I know he is our key hence why I want him right for the Crows whose forward line will cause us plenty of grief without him. His stats looked good but I thought he was pretty poor by his lofty standards especially in the first half. Did get better as the game went on but definitely looked hampered at times

3 Likes

Good thought.

Part correct. When we set up a zone, the defenders dont actually play on any one specific forward. Sometimes a slow defender is the closest to a JJ. or Raz/Green/Tippa. Then theres trouble.