Changes for the Blues

On the EFC Facebook page they covered the tagging issue. Said that by Beveridge moving JJ up forward, it took the tagging decision away from Worsfold.

Excuse my ignorance, but wouldn’t it still be possible to tag someone playing forward?

2 Likes

He’s got another 2 years after this year to run on his contract.

A questionable move by EFC at the time, and even more so now.

Changes:
In: Ambrose, Begley, Long Francis
Out : Hartley, Laverde, Colyer, McGrath (rested)

B: Baguley - Ambrose Francis
HB: McKenna - Hurley - Gleeson
C: Zaharakis - Parish - Heppell ©
HF: Fantasia - Daniher - Long
F: Stewart - Hooker - Tippa
FOL: Bellchambers - Watson - Merrett
I/C: Goddard Begley Myers Kelly

Emg: Stanton, Langford, Mutch

Play the kids…kind of.

Carlton have Curnow, McKay, and Weitering up forward - Fancis should be able to run with one of them. McGrath rested so is ready for Adelaide as he will have a big job on Betts.
Begley in for his first game as had been a perennial emergency
Long in to provide some pace for the dropping of Colyer.

1 Like

OUT:Watson
IN: Jerrett (for mobility)

5 Likes

Feel for Lav but whatever his role is in this current structure it doesn’t work. Maybe we should play the VFL game plan and bring in Hocking Bird Langford Howlet and Stanton.
As everyone says we only suggest like for like.

lol Yes, anyone can try, but not anyone can be successful.

Problem with a tradional tagger as distinct from a normal defender is that the tagger does not become part of the team structure when we get possession of the ball or at stoppages, but rather has the discipline to go EVERYWHERE his opponent goes and rough him up and has to give him the s@its especially when the ball is nowhere near them. Even to the point that when the tagee goes off for a rest, the tagger goes off also.
Looking at Woosher this year, he simply wants all 22 players to play to his attacking game plan without even one player being a dedicated tagger and thus reducing his attacking gameplay by one.
His belief is clearly that each and every player is needed to attack or lock in the ball and there is no room for a dedicated tagger.
OR he doesn’t think we have anyone good enough for this role on the list.

we dont know if we have guys capable of it because worsfold never tries it,

Big call he has a hell of a lot of competition.

I would bring in Dangerfield apparently he’s not playing for Geelong

1 Like

In - Essendon
Out - Essington

If Hawkins can kick 6 against this mob, Joe should kick 10+ even with his inaccuracies.

They had no one who could even come close to matching Hawkins across the ground and I reckon 4 of his goals were just because whoever chasing him was tanked and couldn’t keep up.

So start by trying at least one player and if he fails move to the next

Great plan tho - oh we don’t know if we have anyone who can tag so lets never ever ever EVER try to stop any player from the opposition
:+1::+1::+1::+1:

Its so crazy it just might work, oh wait it fails regularly

Ins: Green Bird Ambrose
Outs Laverde Myers Hurley (Rested)

Give McGrath a rest

edit; i have a very bad feeling about this game

blues have been down for the last few weeks and are due for their one last good game of the season.

1 Like

To me, making changes in favour of leg speed because we looked slow is not useful. The reason we look slow when we get beaten like this is lack of defensive positioning and accountability.

Our back 6 comprises:

Bags-defender

Hartley-defender who doesn’t know his role having been apparently told earlier in the year to mark the ball more because he only ever spoiled last year, he’s doing that now but regularly getting caught out.

McGrath- attacking back who defends very well for an 18yo but can’t yet be expected to hold up defensively against good forwards In high pressure games

Mckenna attacking back without a single defensive bone in his body

Hurley a guy who used to be a defender but is now a distributor almost exclusively

Gleeson-generally operates on the basis that marking the ball in front of the oncoming pack is better than getting involved in a contest, courageous, smart, important but not necessarily defensively sound.

Kelly, can win 1:1 contests but ultimately his role is to win the ball and use it rather than killing opposition attacks.

Essentially, the whole backline has 2 players who’s primary purpose/skillset is defensive.

Then in the middle we have no one you could remotely say that about, worse still we probably have one core mid (Zerret) who’s got a fairly balanced game on a consistent basis.

Notionally this leaves us with 3 players who have any real “defensive bent”

Is it any wonder we have not won a game scoring under 100?

Now I don’t believe that any of the 7 players above who rotate through the back 6 are useless and need to go (as is commonly spouted on here) but in order for the whole team to compete adequately (and win) more consistently we need some-albeit small- personnel changes.

I suggest: in Ambrose out Myers. McGrath and mckenna to spend more time up the ground.

And

In Bird out Kelly. For me, Kel is just hanging in there and although he still brings just enough, he’s just about done. If this takes too much skill/smarts out of the back half its Colyer. (People will feel this makes us too slow)

Then it’s a a coin in the air for lav vs green. Lav has to get on his bike.

Some of the best bits of transition this year seem to have involved green and I think we’ve missed that link up the last couple of weeks.

None of this is based on stats and I’ve seen less footy than idve likes this year.

1 Like

Then surely you try someone and if it doesn’t work you try another and so on?
I don’t see hardly any VFL but do we try it at that level at all?
One thing I’ve noticed a lot in the SANFL is that the Crows and Power reserve sides often tinker with their sides and often run taggers and give defensive jobs on players just to purely see if they have players capable of playing that role in their league side.

1 Like

And why we are trying all these taggers we are loosing games of footy we could have won. Could have had a player in the team contributing to attacking plays that help us score and win the game.

I am not against a tagger in the side, but a lot of considerations need to be made before having one. It could disrupt the our whole game plan and style of play that we are building towards long term.

What I am against is people will nilly saying we should have tagged so and so when they/we have no idea on what the effects would be on the team structure, game plan, ect. We are just not in a position to know.

1 Like

Not against this, but I am sure the coaches have very good reasons why they are not. Reasons we can only begin to fathom. One example could be that. All that time spent trying to turn the player into a tagger, could have been spent better elsewhere developing a faction of his game that will contribute more to the AFL team and its structure then as a tagger.

The biggest mystery is how Hurley got a coaches votes and Parish missed out - Clearly the best four players were Johanessen, Bontempelli, Daniher and Parish.