Changes V Freo

Not wrong. It happens a lot.

5 Likes

Anyone get the email from EFC to buy chairmanā€™s lounge tickets? ā€œCheer our boys into finals in styleā€.

I donā€™t know if I should freak out at the confidence or find comfort in how secure we are in our team to make it there.

Stuff it, Iā€™m going to be there on Sunday ready to celebrate us actually making it to the final 8 after the ā– ā– ā– ā–  weā€™ve had to deal with.

Carn the mighty Dons!! Letā€™s do this!

(Please note, I have had multiple ciders and may be speaking from faux bravery here).

Just when I think Blitz has bottomed out with the Fatherā€™s Day offensive thread I come in hereā€¦

Blitz : Hold my beerā€¦

3 Likes

The world would be a better place if peopleā€™s views were respected on the basis of the logic and thought and research behind them, not just because theyā€™re someoneā€™s views.

The only reason Trump and Pauline get any airtime is because ā€œwell itā€™s controversial but itā€™s a viewpointā€. Itā€™s often founded on lies and always poorly argued, it doesnā€™t deserve respect.

Disagreement doesnā€™t have to be taken personally.

Next youā€™ll be telling us thereā€™s a climate problem.

Kinda like saying ā€œHowlett forward move was made in 2013ā€ā€¦ Lolā€¦ Cā€™mon Henryā€¦

Iā€™m not sure on the outs, but Iā€™d like to see Stanton come in this week. And before people flame me I have a reason.

With finals highly probable we all understand that the pressure goes up and sometimes the kids can struggle with the big stage and fail on the day.

Gleesona few years ago is a classic example, no way he should have started without dempsey and the sub.

But we canā€™t throw Stanton into the lions den without at least a game to a. Find out if he can be an option, b. Get him up to speed.

He is a champion who may well have 4 great games left in him. His running capacity would be huge in finals and he can hit the scoreboard when he gets off the chain.

Itā€™s worth playing him against Freo to give him and the team the shot.

6 Likes

Should Freoā€™s changes be discussed here ?

4 Likes

OUT: All this optimism about how terrible Freo are going to be
IN: More panic about us playing against Nat Fyfe and the super coach

1 Like
Rd 18: Pushing for a call-up . Simon Conway - @SimonConway12 22 August 2017 12:33 PM .

For the second straight week, the VFL Bombers knocked off a top four opponent.

The five point win over the Bulldogs sees the side move to sixth on the ladder with one home and away match remaining.

Paul Corriganā€™s side on the weekend featured 12 AFL listed players and 11 players from the Clubā€™s VFL list.

Here are some of the standouts from the win over the Dogs:

Brent Stanton

The veteran was everywhere during the sideā€™s win over the Bulldogs. He finished with 31 possessions and 13 marks.

It was Stantonā€™s last quarter that was particularly impressive. When the game was on the line he stood up with a game-high eight last quarter disposals and five marks.

He picked up his possessions deep in defence but then ran forward and joined in the attack as the ball transitioned up the field.

Jordan Ridley

The first year player spent time in the forward half during the match against Footscray.

His ability to read the play remained despite the change of scenery and he finished with 17 possessions, ten marks and a goal.

Ridley could have had a second goal when he showed a nice burst of speed to run away from an opponent but his shot at goal hit the post.

Heā€™s only played nine games so far this season, but heā€™s looked impressive on each occasion.

Kyle Langford

The 20 year oldā€™s development as a fully-fledged midfielder appears to be at the finishing stages, at least at state-league level after another polished display.

Langford was one of the best players on the ground and ended the match with 30 possessions, eight marks, four tackles and two goals.

He possesses a ā€˜shrug of the hipsā€™ and a neat side step that can throw opponents off course and he can also go forward and hurt teams on the scoreboard.

A feature of Langfordā€™s game against Footscray was his ability to take possession across half back and then deliver sharp 40 metre passes into the middle of the ground to break down the Dogs defensive line and create overlap opportunities for the Bombers.

Kobe Mutch

He slipped through to number 42 in the draft and could have been a Giant because of his Academy ties, but the acquisition of Kobe Mutch is looking better by the week for the Bombers.

The midfielder just goes about his work with a minimum of fuss.

Heā€™s efficient, works hard and is strong in the air.

Mutch showed all of these traits in his 27-disposal, eight-mark and two-tackle effort against the Bulldogs.

Heā€™s averaging 21 possessions per game this season.

2 Likes

Green often seems to end up in one on one contests near goal that he loses 9 times out of 10. If, however he is in traffic, or close to where packs form he can be very useful.

He gets monstered many times in every game and never shirks it. He is a gutsy little guy and tries 100%

8 Likes

Pretty much my thoughts. I donā€™t doubt that playing full time midfield in the VFL this year has been good for Kyleā€™s development, but Iā€™m not too sure how much more there is for him to learn at that level. Hopefully with Jobeā€™s retirement heā€™ll get serious midfield minutes next season.

1 Like

On Planet Dropbegs.

1 Like

He does appear to have the Paul salmon leg rope attached at times. I canā€™t fathom how he routinely ends up as our deepest forward. It makes even less sense that we have players who routinely kick it long to him

1 Like

I love it when newbies run into HAP. Makes me feel good about all the times I was going to take him on without a thought out solid augment.

1 Like

Howlett kicked 4 goals from midfield. Uh huh.

Ok, my 2 cents.

Firstly, we really need to win. We cannot take this lightly, given our losses and recent trouble knocking over North & GCS. Freo beat us earlier in the year, they can score goals despite their position. With this in mind we need to play our best side possible, and only rest players on the brink of injury. We have a week off after this match so we want as few blokes as possible coming back in after 2 weeks off.

Secondly, we have been trying to build chemistry all year, and we have been forced to make enough changes recently with Raz/Hurley injured and now Green. Plus Watson/Kelly/McGrath have been rested and Ambrose has only been back for a few matches, note to mention Laverde is yet to break the drought since coming back. The reason I harp on about this is I do not think itā€™s time to bring in any guys who havenā€™t played in the last 8 rounds. Unfortunately that means Stanton, Mutch, Ridley, Hocking, Francis & whoever else shouldnā€™t get a game against Freo unless a) they are replacing someone injured or b) expected to play throughout finals.

Now, with that in mind, Iā€™m not sure about Watson. The head says NO, but then again he will be fresh, motivated, and even if he struggles I believe the team will lift for him. Most importantly though, I think as a club, playing Jobe (because heā€™s our favorite son etc) and having belief in him is what sets us aside from other clubs.

So, keeping it relatively simple:

In: Jobe, Colyer
Out: Bird, Green

If Jobe is going to play finals then he needs to come back in this week, same with Colyer, and those 2 should slot back in relatively easily since they have played most of the season.

Bird is unlucky, I actually wouldnā€™t care if Myers was dropped instead, but letā€™s stick with the bloke that has played the most games this year and seems to offer more onfield leadership than Bird. In any case if we drop Myers now, then Bird plays all through the finals.

2 Likes

Hack kicks out of bounds isnā€™t leadership

Myers out

Bird stays in

Just once, can we see Bird and Jobe in the same midfield, ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  sake.

5 Likes

I reckon thereā€™s a pretty good reason for that