Changes vs Giants

Would prefer the players that will be in the team long term to get more exposure.

Running short on cattleā€¦

Not really, he played Solo ruck. 6 day break,
give him rest or a half in VFL then he comes back in against Fremantle and we rest Phillips.

He didnā€™t play solo he only played 61% game time he doesnt need a rest

I would hardly have any changes. Francis is an obvious return if fit for Stewart. Phillips had a good Anzac Day game and with Mumford coming upā€¦ might be more suitable physically. Thats about it. The team is building ok for me tbh

4 Likes

and that aside, there ainā€™t much to bring inā€¦

2 Likes

AWa

2 Likes

Stewart stays in, there are the makings of a quality tall defender there. Height, strength, pace, good kicking skills, he was just unlucky he got the inform tall forward in the comp on his first game back.
The defenders are individually doing well however as a unit there is zero chemistry so they need some time together. Gws will rest mummy i think so bryan might be fine to play.

5 Likes

When was the last time zaharakis had a full game. I reckon it was the week before the Brisbane game. Our management of him had been odd. Perhaps suggestive of the fact that he really isnā€™t in consideration at all but if so youā€™d think weā€™d be better served with him providing leadership in the vfl.

Francis comes in this week. Maybe for guelfi, maybe for ham with guelfi going forward. Guelfi wouldnā€™t have shirked that contest with Curnow on the wing after hepp sold him out.

Reckon bryanā€™s elevation and extension will destroy Mumford in the centre, he didnā€™t deserve to be dropped and heā€™ll learn a lot match up a to physically imposing opponent.

2 Likes

Oh hell, itā€™s another milestone game this week. Zachā€™s 150th. Dispiriting loss coming upā€¦

1 Like

Our best performances have been with 4 tall defenders in the side. Ideally its Stewart, Lav, Francis and Ridley. Francis in for Guelfi or Ham.

3 Likes

Guelfi and Ham out.

1 Like

On Stewart in defence - the AFL player ratings had him in the top half of players on the ground. The ratings measure scoring chains and donā€™t give a damn about what your opponent does.

If heā€™s in the back half for his foot skills there is a lot to work with - but heā€™ll need to improve his actual defending.

1 Like

Guelfi out is the obvious one for me. He is not especially good defensively and his foot skills are poor. Francis a much better option.

Ham could use a spell but Iā€™m not sure who we actually bring in?

C _ _ _ _ R

IMG_4822

3 Likes

Went back to Ireland

15 Likes

GWS have a tall forward line.

Hogan - Francis
Himmelberg - Ridley
Finlayson - Stewart

Toby Greene - Laverde

Not quite sure who to omit for Francisā€¦

I expect Phillips pending whatever his injury was to come back in for Bryan. Itā€™s tough going for young rucks playing #1, especially when well off physically being able to impact.

As we saw with Draper last year they maybe will look to do what happened with Draper & Belly, 1 wk on 1 wk off type changeovers to give Bryan some games before Draper returns.

Guelfi will come out of back 7 for Francis

Thatā€™ll probably be it.

Unless coaches think itā€™s time for Zaka to come in and Ham goes out who had minimal impact. . Theyā€™ve tended to prefer to back in the youth however so far this season.

2 Likes

Injured?

I like Guelfi in the team. He provides a hard and uncompromising edge - a bit like Redman. Much like Snelling, teams need this kind of role-player. Not sure what his ideal position is though. I still think heā€™d make a good run-with player. Stick to Toby Greene and harass the ā– ā– ā– ā–  out of him, cause a few punch-ups with him.

I would persist with Ham on the wing, just as Pink Floyd did. Itā€™s a very hard position to get right. Francis needs to come in. Very hard to choose outs based on structure. You canā€™t drop Hep - he isnā€™t shining, but he is playing his role and cops a lot of flack for every little mistake. Langford hasnā€™t been great lately, but again, his position is not an easy one to shine in. Tweak, refine for Langford.

Cox, unless a rest is really needed, needs to stay in. He is potentially our biggest asset. Same with Perkins & Jones. Because Iā€™m in the ā€˜wins do not matter much at this stageā€™ camp, I would keep Bryan in, despite Mummy playing. Run him around the ground - Bryan has a good tank. Pull out of the contest with Mummy if you have to - help out in the midfield and on the wing.

I wouldnā€™t bring Zaka in at this stage - there isnā€™t really a longer-term benefit. With Stewart, it depends on what we see our defensive structure being in the next couple of years. He is either a back-up, so drop him for Francis, or he is part of the plan. In that case, Guelfi may have to be dropped.

I still (and always) would like to see Redman further up the ground. He has pace, decent kicking, an eye for goal and is uncompromising. If Stewart stays in, I would consider (though it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth) dropping McGrath back and pushing Redman into the middle - though this is really something that ideally should have been prepared and trained for a while ago.

12 Likes