Changes vs Gold Coast

Jones did one thing reasonably well yesterday, and that was not flying for the same ball as 2MP. In fact, there were several times he led to draw his direct opponent away which gve Wright clearer space to fly 1 v 1 against Payne. Another occasion he blocked his opponent legitimately to stop him from being the 3rd man in on the marking contest, may have been Wright’s 2nd goal in the 3rd term from memory. I’d keep him in simply because there’s precious little else to call upon.

7 Likes

At the very least, surely with the season shot we can at least try some things at selection that may not necessarily give us the best chance at winning but may give a kid the taste of AFL footy and help it motivate him over the summer or to give a few games to some guys which may help inform our list decisions.

For instance, Lav looks like he is a very sore boy. Give Reid or even Brand a go for a week or two while Lav rests up.

Play McBride instead of a second ruck. Or Voss.

Give Hird a game. If a couple of half backs went down then give Lord a run rather than re-shuffling players back.

3 Likes

Keep Laverde in he is still on a playing streak (Played every game last year and this year)

Nick Martin - has played every week bar the one he was held out due to covid protocol, form has dropped off a bit, Would consider him for a rest.
Jones - would consider but no one pressing so he stays, plus helps build synchrony with Wright and he jsut needs games, plus he gets injured at VFL.
Ham is gone, but Redders in
Kelly could go, but had his best game for us. so that would be rough, he stays.
Snelling hasnt been performing to last years output, could move him to sub.
Phillips out - play 1 ruck or bring in part timer McBride. Means a extra defender though, with Redders coming back too.
McBride instead of a second ruck could be a interesting move.

VFL players I want to have a look at
McBride
Menzie
Voss - not sure if he is ready yet. But with Stringer given more mdifield time, could fit him in forward. more liekly if we drop Phillips and play 3 tall forwardline with Wright chipping out in the ruck.

1 Like

Yep. He’s not quite at the level IMO.

Langford and stringer are far better options.

Was a good supplementary pick though as he did play some good games at AFL level.

2 Likes

Jones wasn’t that bad.

Should’ve had that goal with the cruel bounce.

Then had 2 other shots.

Yes he needed to convert the easy one but we know he’s a good shot at goal.

If he’s getting 3 shots at goal every week, like yesterday, then I’m happy.

3 Likes

he just hasn’t come on in any other aspect of his game. which is unfortunate, because he knows how to kick a goal - and i like him.

When Cutler can go back to the VFL and get mid thirty disposals and Waterman struggles to get 14 disposals, its a bit of a worry…maybe the fitness will never come post Glandular fever.
Feel he needed to improve his speed/agility/endurance to come on and be more than a mark and goal player.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be tinkering too much with the squad at all. Tracking beautifully at the moment.

1 Like

Teams cannot pick and choose when to go flat out and when to take it a bit easier.

Yeah, he was. Worst on the ground for us after Ham.

Snelling & Ham out.
Redman and anyone else in.

we’re finally drafting milne

1 Like

RISH!

THIS THIS

Heppell

4 Likes

if we have a quarter of the team out under covid protocols we can go flat out and still lose

E.g Out: SHiel Merrett, Massimo, Phillips, Ridley, Martin (Covid protocols)
In: Redman, Brand (Debut), Menzie(Debut), Hird (Debut), McBride (Debut) Voss (Debut)
b: Kelly Zerk-Thatcher Laverde
hb: Hind Brand Redman
c: Heppell Caldwell Durham
hf: Hobbs Jones Langford
f: Guelfi Wright Snelling
r: Draper, McGrath Stringer
int: Menzie, Hird, McBride, Voss
Sub: Lord

I get the idea of throwing even more younger players in because the season is over. I also understand too the importance of having close to your best 22 finally healthy and giving them now some continuity to grow. I never felt we overly lacked talent… it was that we lacked cohesion and the ability for the core team to grow under Trucks system.

Was an interesting observation seeing Lions lose so much of their core and then look all at sea defensively over the ground.

15 Likes

My biggest frustration from yesterday was the number of times Wright, Jones, etc got the ball to ground only for 2 or 3 Bears to be roving it, and running away.
I agree with you CJ, that cohesion is important too.
I would love to see:

• Menzies or Hird in for Snelling (need to find some touch);
  • McBride for Phillips (looked a bit lame later in the game);
  • Redman for D’Amb (assuming he doesn’t come up); and
  • whoever as Sub (most of the time they get splinters anyway).
2 Likes

While we are on a roll, go with it.
Kelly to Rankine
Caldwell to Miller.
Redman in if available.

4 Likes

Menzies will be interesting as he is like Jones in that he is a low disposal winner but high impact on the scoreboard.

He must be close to being sub, if Truck had his time again would probably have selected him over prosciutto.

Jones had what, 3 shots on goal? That’s fine for where he’s at in his career.