Changes Vs Swans - speculation and anticipation

Assuming Francis really is ready to play seniors (and despite Blitz’s enthusiasm I don’t think that is a certainty) then surely he has to come in for Goddard now? Goddard has been a shadow of his old self for a while now, and that was a real shocker yesterday.

1 Like

There is absolutely no way Goddard will be dropped for next week, Woosha would not embarrass one of his senior players like that.

3 Likes

I don’t think they’ll be written off. I think most will expect them to come out hard like you suggested yourself.
More likely they’ll be embarrassed and that may be the driver.

Stewart is a flanker, so I don’t see him as a replacement for Smack. I’d leave Hooker forward and bring Hartley in. Would be great if Stringer and McKenna were ready.

1 Like

Back to back 6 day breaks for the Swans surely helps us somewhat.

Yep that’s the one

Yep agreed. Whilst I’d love our club to be ruthless and mature enough to have nobodies position in the 22 as guaranteed every week I just cannot see Goddard being dropped.

‘Rested’ could be an option though a game against Swans instead of Freo doesn’t make sense to do such a thing

Out: Colyer

Unsure of his contract status but Colyer may just about be cooked if out of contract this year. His fumbling yesterday was horrific.

Can that bloke play up forward?

Hooker is the only player we have who is capable of handling Franklin. Franklin might have him beat for speed, but Hookers body work should beat him in the one on ones.

If Hooker goes forward, we have nobody who matches up on Franklin. He will destroy Hartley and Hurley

2 Likes

They will come out spitting fire and I don’t think we will be able to handle it. Couple together a few arsey Buddy goals and some vintage “Sydney” umpiring from Pannell we are right up against it.

3 Likes

This seems the most sensible option.

Goddard won’t get dropped. And I suspect Francis won’t play 1s until he himself is confident he is ready, which I don’t reckon will happen in 2018 as much as I’d love it to.

A Stewart/Brown combo in the forward line doesn’t inspire me much, but it’s more inspiring than pulling Hooker out of the backline to kick 1.5

If Stringer is ready then McNiece will probably cop it despite playing well.

2 Likes

Out: McKernan - Baguley was also not 100% (according to the radio) either maybe give him a rest.
In: Francis, Long

Francis automatically comes in to help Hurley out

Laverde in for Colyer
Clarke not against Sydney
Will McKenna be ready? If so automatically in

1 Like

Yeah was wondering about Baguely.

One of the supporters behind me said that Bags had pretty much been playing on one leg throughout the game.

Hope Woosh shows them the video of the game we played against Geelong. We have slowly gone away from that type of pressure. Watching our midfield make Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett Jnr eat the dirt, I was so pumped going home after the game. We really need to bring that back…would love that on Friday night.

Team wise…if Hooker goes forward, bringing Francis is not going to sort our backline issues. With Hurley, Francis and Dea…we will be undersized. I think Hartley will come in.

We need to bring in help for T. Bell. Brown or Hooker isn’t going to go in the ruck. So only option is Stewart. Since Stringer got injured we haven’t had that 3rd tall forward.

If McKenna is fit, he will be straight in for McNiece.

So my guess…

In: Hartley, Stewart, McKenna
Out: McKernan, Colyer, McNiece

If Stringer is fit, then Hooker stays back.

Goddard lucky but unless injured, he’ll be given an opportunity to bounce back.

Out: McKernan (inj), Colyer
In: Stewart, McKenna*

B: Saad Hurley Dea
HB: Goddard Hooker McKenna
C: Zaharakis Heppell McGrath
HF: Tippa Brown Smith
F: Fantasia Stewart Baguley
R: Bellchambers Langford Zerrett

I/C: Myers Parish Guelfi McNeice

*if McKenna is unavailable, McNeice takes his spot on the field with Long/Laverde taking the last spot on the interchange.

2 Likes

I think Stringer won’t be ready for Hawks not Sydney unfortunately. Same as McKenna

But we can beat Sydney IF we don’t bomb the ball into our forwardline and hold it up and look for options.

Outs: Mckernan, Colyer, Dea
Ins: Stewart Stringer, Mckenna

B: Saad Hooker Guelfi
Hb: Goddard Hurley McKenna
C: Heppell Parish Zaharkais
HF: Smith Brown Stewart
F: Fantasia Stringer Baguley
R Bellchambers Myers Z.Merrett
B: Parish, Langford, Tippa, McNeice

Re thinking this…

Luenberger in for mckernan.

Luenberger to ruck and send bellchambers forward.

A bit of a risk… but would really give us a good chance to dominate the ruck, which would be a huge advantage against there midfield.

3 Likes

The days of having 2x lumbering ruckmen in your 22 are over. One of Hartley or Stewart has to come in. Depending on which end of the ground they want to play Hooker.

My concern though with having Stewart and Brown as your two key forwards is that neither are your bailout kick types who you can really rely on to take contested marks or at least halve the contest against big key defenders. I’m leaning towards bringing NINA in and playing Hooker forward.

2 Likes